What effect did, being called "Brother or Sister" have on you?

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Got really fed up with it, told people to call me by my first name.

• Fleur
    Fleur

i sure as hell know the effect it had on my sister! she swore that after hearing from birth that all the boys in the congregation were here 'brothers' that she could never marry one of them, it would feel incestuous.

and she never did.

i was at a funeral about a year after my df-ing (family wasn't happy to see me, either) and someone bumped into me and said "oh, excuse me sister"! i nearly puked on his shoes.

fleur

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I was born into and raised in a jw family.

But I guess I must be weird or something, because I never felt comfortable calling any one, sister or brother or having others address me in this way.

Even as a kid, it sounded goofy to me. I had several people question me as to why I used their first name and not inserting (brother or sister). Even for the few years I was an elder, and another elder would harp on this, I couldn't bring myself to do this.

It never did any good, as I continued not using the brother/sister thing. Just didn't feel right.

It sounds even more goofy to me today, if some religious person refers to me as, brother.

Maybe it was because I was weird and they are goofy. Whata ya think?

Outoftheorg

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

It always embarrassed the crap out of me if another jw called me 'sister' in front of a worldly person.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

It bothered me that I had to call my sibling sister my fleshly sister--never liked that term either--just didn't have a good feel to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit