When did "no problem" become the rejoinder to "thank you"?

by onintwo 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• onintwo
  • joannadandy
    joannadandy

September 30, 1957....just kidding...

I like it better than, "You're Welcome" which in a way sounds condesending...like..."Lucky for you I cam along to help you with something."

I prefer, "no problem" which means, to me, "no need for thanks, I'd do it for anyone".

• onintwo
    onintwo

Ooops. Hit the enter key too soon.

Ok, ...........so it's not a heavy subject. Just fluff, but kind of a pet peeve. But has anyone else noticed how much our language is becoming colloquial? Real casual-like? Anyway, everywhere I go I seem to hear more and more examples of this kind of thing.

Not that it hurts anyone, it's just an observation. What similar expressions have you heard or noticed lately?

Onintwo

• Gopher
    Gopher

In Spanish, the rejoinder to "gracias" is "de nada", which means "it's nothing". Similar to what Jo said, "de nada" sounds like a humble way to acknowledge someone's thanks.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Possibly around the time Hispanic culture became a major component of the American cultural mix. "De nada" (literally "for nothing," meaning "no problem" or "don't worry about it") has been the polite response to "Muchas gracias" for many, many years.

GentlyFeral

• onintwo
    onintwo

Thanks, Gently, I did not know that. Nice observation.

Onintwo

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Actually, it's "no problemo" dude. I made it up, both versions.

• gespro
    gespro

It might be said that those same origins apply to What's happening or 'What's going on'? ¿Qué pasa? It seems less invasive and friendlier to say that rather than What are you doing...but that's just me.

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Years ago I took a Carribean cruise and visited Jamaica. I bought a teeshirt that said "Jamaica--no problem." I guess I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the phrase started over there: relaxed, reggae...don't worry, be happy...I wish I were there now.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Where I live the answer to thank you, many times is "uh huh", or mmm hmm.

But then thats west coast casual for you.

Gretchen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit