Religious meetings once a week=enough

by JH 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Of all the religions I know of, the one that is the most time consuming, is the JW religion.

It's not just the fact that there is a meeting every 2 days, but these meetings have to be prepared ahead of time. Being a JW, is almost a full time job. With the field service, it's an everyday activity.

This was the first reason why I quit going to meetings. Too many meetings, and too much time consumption preparing them.

I tried going to half of the meetings, which gave me more time for myself, but this didn't work because if you don't give 100% they won't be satisfied with you, so might as well not go at all. It's all or nothing. Especially when you get responsibilities and privileges, you can't miss many meetings. That was one more reason for me not to want any privileges.

Whenever I was inactive for a while and came back, I tried going only to Sunday meetings. At first, they were happy to see me, but after 3 or 4 Sundays, they weren't too happy to see me, because I was going only on Sundays.

More than 1 meeting a week is too much for me, no matter what relgion I would be in.

Anybody else feel that 1 meeting a week is enough, no matter what relgion you belong to?

I mean, where in the bible is it written that you have to attend so many meetings a week to please God?

• blondie
    blondie

I have noticed that many churches have other meeting times besides Sunday, a weekly Bible study group on a Wednesday, a group that meets and organizes charity stuff on Thursday. The thing is that no one is "required" to go to all of them, or any of them. People go because they want to and are interested in the project, the study, etc.

Blondie

• Badger
    Badger

You should go worship whenever you feel the need...home or House of God.

BTW, how many of those other churches keep attendance figures and break them down stat-wise? "Talks and WT studies are 90%, Book studies are 65%, etc."

• JH
    JH

The Sabbath was once a week. Wasn't God giving an indication here that once a week was sufficient for doing spiritual activities, like attending meetings or worshiping him.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, the sabbath was one day and week and it was supposed to be a day of "rest"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Anybody else feel that 1 meeting a week is enough, no matter what relgion you belong to?

Yeah, I felt the same way when I was a JW....always ripping and running, never enough TIME for anything OTHER than mundane housework and preparing, getting dressed for and GOING to meetings (with 5 kids and then later on a grandson).......whatta rat race! And, as you mentioned...it was never enough!!! You shoulda ,coulda and must do MORE!

I'm convinced that all this reading and "preparation" FOR meetings, and all that's connected with JW "life" (I use that term loosely, BTW), is a clever way to keep one involved every possible moment they CAN...to keep you from developing any outside interests, but to keep you SO overwhelmed that anything else takes a back seat and KINGDOM INTERESTS are all you strive for! Of course, "kingdom interests" are the same as "Watchtower Corporation" interests, and we all know where THAT leads!

As far as only one "meeting" a week, in or other than the KH......is a matter of personal choice. I have a friend who goes to church on Sunday, and to a bible-study group on Wednesday.....and thoroughly enjoys it! Doesn't feel "pressured" at all, and works a full-time job as a school bus driver! I think it's the joy that is felt and the satisfaction received in the religion, or faith of different people.

Maybe if the WTS would "let up" on the expected frantic lifestyle and very time-consuming level of "meeting attendance"....more people wouldn't feel as we did before we left!

hugs,

Annie

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Yeap, I'd love to attend just 1 meeting, duration 1 hr, per week.

DY

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

One meeting a week is more than enough!

My friends belong to a church group that sounds fantastic - they are basically just Christian and live their life in a Christian way. We were trying to organise an outing one weekend and they were quite happy to miss their meeting that day - they thought God would be quite happy for them just to be out enjoying his creation. I kept saying - ' but what will the church leaders say - will they not be too happy with you? - They just laughed and said there are no rules about attending church - people go because they want to and if they don?t feel like it they don?t!

I remember having to go to meetings even when I was unwell ? everyone was terrified of missing them, as gossip would start as to why you were not there!

L

• Mary
    Mary

JH, this is my biggest beef with the Organization: TOO MANY F*CKING MEETINGS!!! I do what you tried doing: I only go on Sundays; anyone don't like it - tough shit, it's all I can do.

I mean, where in the bible is it written that you have to attend so many meetings a week to please God?

Nowhere. And I've stated that to my elders on different occassions. They talk about "showing appreciation for the spiritual food", blah, blah, blah and I simply say "there is absolutely NOTHING in the bible that says we have to meet 5 times a week - it's a man made rule." They don't say anything because they know it's true. I think they're afraid that if people get too much time on their hands that they'll leave the Organization altogether. They've actually got it backwards. If they had fewer meetings, they'd probably have alot more converts going.

• JH
    JH
    If they had fewer meetings, they'd probably have alot more converts going.

I agree with you Mary, but they want people to produce, not just sit there idle.

This is how I would re arrange meeting hours:

1. Public Talk....................................30 minutes
    2. Watchtower Study.........................30 minutes On Sundays

3. Book Study...................................Do that home by yourself as a personal study. (optional)

4. Theocratic School..........................30 minutes During the week (Tuesdays or Thursdays)
    5. Service Meeting.............................30 minutes

6. Field service................................. Do as much as you want, no rule

7. Visit the poor and the sick and discouraged in the congregation. 1 hour a week if possible

OK, at first I said 1 meeting a week, and now I'm up to 2 days a week, but I cut the hours in 2, so it comes to the same.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit