Did you give your children 'Bible names'?

by nicolaou 28 Replies latest social family

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I have to admit that we gave our first two kids 'Hebrew' names. I don't want to identify my children online but suffice to say that we had at least some sense in that we opted for safe names of the Samuel and Daniel type - no Melchizedeks!

However, in our city we had a Javan a Samson [gen 10:2] and even a Zechariah! [gen 14:29] He was actually a cool little kid and everyone called him Zak which wasn't too bad..................still...

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

yes, but not intentionally...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yes... my parents named me Beelzebub.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I gave my son Bible names that mean "Jehovah is God" and "God is with us."

Of course now he's a Burning Man veteran, a self-taught surrealist artist, lives in a little commune, and spends up to 4 hours a day on Yoga; and mommy is a candle-burning, patchouli-wearing bipolypagan.

Five years later, I was beginning to lighten up without knowing it, and gave my daughter secular names that honored my family. She grew up to be a boygoth and wants to make her living designing video games.

Just goes to show, you never know how naming your children is going to work out.

GentlyFeral

• desib77
    desib77

My mother gave me a bible name....and not a simple one like, Mary. It is one of those strange ones that people have to have me spell out....That is why I don't use it on the board. Aren't many people out there with my first name. Have to use the middle name.

Oh, and my mother refused to let anyone nickname me...they had to use the full first name. Poor people. I've thought several times about actually changing to my middle name but think it would be too much of a hassle.

Desi

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I have a Biblical name, but it's quite a common one. In my area, lots of people have Bible names; at one job, I woked with a Caleb, a Rebbecca, an Eli, a Samuel, and of course a few Marks, Johns, Matthews, Lukes, etc. I have nothing against them, except when they are so unusual that a child might get picked on because of their name.

• desib77
    desib77
    except when they are so unusual that a child might get picked on because of their name

That would be mine.....

• shera
    shera

Well,my sons name is Matthew,but I have always loved that name,not because it is bibical.

I remember a sister called her son Elijah Joel.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Well, I have a Bible name. and technically, so does my son ... but the reality of my son's name is that he was named after my paternal grandfather. They share a birthday.

• yxl1
    yxl1
    except when they are so unusual that a child might get picked on because of their name
    That would be mine.....

... and mine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit