Where did they get their brainwashing tecniques?

by cyber-sista 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

What is really the most disturbing thing to me is that I really do feel that I was brainwashed in those 20 + years in the Org--I mean seriously brainwashed. I am not an idiot, but there were times that I look back on now where I was a radical JW, though this is not really my personality to be such. I remember after assemblies (while greatly relieved it was over with aching back and all) I would feel different--sometimes I would start donating more money to the WT and at one point I seriously thought of puttingthe WT in my will. I tried to follow the rules the best I could even though at times it was making me ill to do so because it went so much against my grain.

Does anybody have a clue where they got their brainwashing tecniques from or how they developed them--it seems so powerful and purposeful--or am I just thinking conspiracy here? Once I pulled away and stopped going to meetings my head started to clear and many thoughts came rushing in on me--all those years of denial and stuffing things I had seen and been truly disturbed by. The thought of going into a KH now makes me feel very ill. Of course if I told any practicing JW that they would think that it is because God's holy spirit has left me now and I am no longer privleged to see "the truth" While I am now mentally out--emotionally I still respond to witness contact in a strange dreamlike way...It is almost like I go back into a trance when they start to talk with me in that theocratic language of theirs....it's so weird and disturbing to say the least...What do you think about the tecniques they used--do you think they were purposeful and adapted from studies on brainwashing?

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I'm not trying to be offensive but this whole brain washing thing is nonsense. Repeated investigations have shown that no such thing really exists. Those that exit high control groups and are antagonistic to them typically start talking about brain washing because they don't want to face up to their personal responsibility. It's just another way of saying, "It's not my fault!"

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Hi Cyber,

That's a good question. Have you read Steve Hassan's book "Combatting Cult Mind Control?" He outlines some key techniques used by cults--basically goes back to the concept of brainwashing developed in Asia.

The JW's DO use these techniques, no questionl. The more interesting question that you raise, is how/why? Is it just coincidence? Or purposefully. I struggle with that one. It's hard for me to fathom that the Guys in Bethel set OUT to systematically brainwash. I tend to to think of it as a high degree of dysfunction, like that which families pass down to future generations.

• blondie
    blondie

Techniques of spiritual abuse are pretty universal. I found the book below very educational. Although written by 2 non-JWs, you would think they were ex-JWs. But they are discussing the problem in all churches.

http://www.discerningreader.com/subpowofspir.html

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The techniques themselves are actually much more common than most people realize. Most spousal abusers use the exact same techniques to control their victims. Most abusive parents use the same techniques on their children. My recent post on Addicted to Misery http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/70569/1.ashx details many of the issues involved in abuse, alcoholism and dysfunctional families.

As a known alcoholic it wouldn't surprise me at all the Rutherford incorporated what he knew best into this empire he was building. In fact is seems from what Schnell wrote in 30 Years a Watchtower Slave that Rutherford experimented on the group of followers in Germany before he brought many of those techniques to North American.

You might also want to look at The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/59888/1.ashx There are 4 parts to this thread and the links to the other sections are at the end of each thread

• the bandersnatch esq.
    the bandersnatch esq.

Have you ever read 1984 by George Orwell? There are so many fundamental mind control techniques in that book that match up so closely to the Society's way of doing things. It was one of the books that helped me open my eyes to the life I was leading at the time.
    Definitely recommended reading for ex-JW's (and even more so for current JW's).

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

CY - The first and foremost thing is that we are convinced that they have "special knowledge" you know it well.

Last days true knowledge revealed

1914 / 607 / 2520 days.

Cut us off from those not "in"

5 meetings a week that we CAN'T MISS

Loaded language

You question "Where did they get these techniques?" They developed them as they would observe why people would get weak and leave. Observe why some stay and demand that same behavior.

Like training a dog - in this layman's mind

• boa
    boa

cyber, great question and i've wondered that myself recently....

my conclusion is heading towards the idea that the majority of the guys at the top are not knowingly reading 'how to brainwash people for idiots'. The control tactics come naturally if legalese, tradition, and a myopic viewpoint rule the day imo....also, the glorification of man comes into play imo....

the best satisfaction i get from realizing all this is that it is nothing 'new'. People have been controlling others, including high control, for eons, and it comes naturally to some on HOW to do it... What you and I have been through, and done, in the name of an 'organization' is repeated now and throughout history with many other groups...

not much to make yah feel better maybe....but it is how I view it and am coping...somewhat....

boa

• allpoweredup
    allpoweredup

Barb Grizutti Harrison (see online book on freeminds.org) said founder Russell's dad and his dad-in-law were Masons. Not all but some of the higher level Masons in particular use the techniques. Many Masons have done some good things (Shriners), but some are worthless. Many other cults such as LDS use such techniques. It's to be expected, and is why they are called cults, not so called just because some of their beliefs are unusual. It's the tactics, techniques, abuses.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would say that "practice makes perfect". Once they found a way to gather new recruits and keep them, they stuck to formula. I predict this will work less and less effectively, as our society grooves in to the information age.

The "special talk" today? The world is getting worse, be prepared for more persecution, door-to-door work is delightful. What refreshing "new light" from HQ, spread around the world in a most soothing unified way.

Nobody at the top is coming up with new ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit