In Memory of Miguel

by lisaBObeesa 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I know this has nothing to do with JWs or anything, but I needed to talk a bit ?

I work with at-risk teens in a continuation school. Last night I learned that one of my dear students, a bight young man with a difficult past, born into a difficult world of gangs and drugs, was found dead, shot to death in East Palo Alto, California.

Miguel had just turned 18, but he always seemed older, wiser than all the other students. He came into math class, an old man in a young boy?s body, sat down, pulled out his math book and got to work. He did this each day. While his friends wasted time, or looked for reasons to get out of work, he did not. He always had a smile ready, even when it was obvious he was feeling down, or tired?maybe from a long night of hanging with his homies, maybe from parties, maybe from trying to sleep in a too-small house full of young brothers and sisters while mom was gone at work. He was such a great kid. Every staff member could see the potential in him. We invited him to be part of special projects, to be in clubs?we encouraged him, we loved him. But he would never join the clubs or help with the special projects?he had to be home by a certain time to take care of brothers and sisters, so he couldn?t stay after school.

Miguel seemed wiser than the other students, but really he was just as young and lost as the rest of them. The word we have from the students so far is that he was killed in a drug deal gone bad. But the chances are that is was really a gang-related shooting, and the students just don?t want to say it. Or maybe it was a gang-related drug deal?the truth will slowly filter out over the next few days. It doesn?t really matter: He is gone now, either way. He will never know what it is like to get an honest job, or to be19 years old, or 20, or 30 or have children, or??anything. And now his brothers and sisters have lost their father figure/big brother, and his mother has lost her son?

I have lost a student. One of my favorites. One I hoped to help?I will miss Miguel.

***********In memory of Miguel Felix**********

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/shadowlands22/xmas2003plusav03_04_174__Small___2_.jpg>

• simplesally
    simplesally

there's your picture,

sorry for your loss

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thank you Sally. I couldn't make it work. He is the one sitting on the chair.

• Corvin
    Corvin

I am truly sorry for you loss. Nothing saddens me more than the death of young one who had their whole life ahead of them, especially someone with a warm and sweet nature, who just naturally has the ability to make a difference in people's lives.

If you can, please extend our condolences to the family of this boy.

Corvin

• TrailBlazer04
    TrailBlazer04

My condolences to you and to that boy's family.

TB

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

My thoughts are with you

L

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What a shame and a tragic loss. My thoughts are with you.......

Up until my stroke last summer, I was involved with child advocacy, and kid's rights enforcement and dealt with at-risk kids as well. I know how quickly some of them can melt your heart......

hugs,

Annie

• Maya
    Maya

((((((Lisa)))))

I'm so sorry.......

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. I went to the funeral today and it turns out this is sort of a JW related story.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/70800/1.ashx

-Lisa

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I was wrong about some things about Miguel's life. I don?t want to leave this thread like that, with wrong info...

He was 17, not 18. He was the youngest son in the family?so he did not go home to take care of young siblings?I don?t know how I could get that wrong. I feel bad.

They say now that he took his own life over a girl?there is more to that story, but I think I will just let him rest in peace. Goodbye, sweetie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit