Why are JW's so blind and kept in the dark about the WTS history?

by booker-t 16 Replies latest social humour

• outnfree
    outnfree

booker-t,

Hello! And welcome!

I just posted a table on MarvinShilmer's thread to scholar about 1914 and thought about appending a note about how the change in who would see Christ's "invisible presence" teaching affected me. But I'll tell it here.

I was introduced to the Witnesses in the summer of 1972 but wasn't close enough to them to understand all the excitement about 1975. I stopped my Bible study by 1974, but clearly remember the pronouncement in a 1978 WT that those old enough to have understood the significance of the events in 1914 would not pass away before the Great Tribulation began.

I took up studying again in Autumn 1984 (fearful for my child's everlasting life). At the time, in fact for years afterwards, I didn't know about Frederick Franz' failed 1975 prophecies. But I did learn, as "new light," that the generation that would not pass away before the Great Tribulation began was now believed to include ALL THOSE ALIVE in 1914. It sounded reasonable to me. It also seemed to me to be an admission of error on the part of the WT Society, making the Society seem humble and reasonable shepherds. (I am gagging at myself as I write this. LOL)

But when another decade passed without incident and then the November 1, 1995 Watchtower tried to blame ME for speculating on dates (by then I knew all about 1975 and the 'mass exodus' of those with little faith, blah-blah-blah) when I never would have DREAMED of making a connection between 1914 and the start of the Great Tribulation, it started me wondering.

HOWEVER, I still so WANTED the Utopia of the New World and my being able to escape Death to be true, that it took me almost another 5 years before I began investigating 1914 and then 607 BCE, finally making my break by DA'ing in 2001.

I think bigboi is right. The New Light Doctrine plus the unending reading (which many Witnesses don't even do -- hearing things for the first time at the meetings), meetings, and service plus the enormous GUILT about never doing enough and FEAR of not living up to what the Society says Jehovah demands of one, causes the average Witness to be lemminglike and just follow wherever the elders/COs/DOs/GB lead. Not pausing to reflect because of fearing the hated "presumptuous" or "not humble" labels which could put them at risk of being ostracized within the congregation (as if being weird in general society wasn't bad enough!).

In my opinion, many converted Witnesses join the organization because it clearly stipulates (in it's wonderfully Pharisaical way) exactly what one must do in order to please Jehovah (pleasing the Society, of course, at the same time). There is no "wrestling" with morality, because a specific morality is imposed. There is no thinking necessary, because the thinking, research and soul-searching interpretation has already been done for one. It's very often a case of "The world sucks. My life sucks. I love God. How do I get God to love me?" and the Society claims to have the answers. And one puts oneself in the hands of its "caring" representatives. And learns not to question.

Those RAISED as Witnesses have seen more of the Society's blemishes and don't wear the same rose-colored glasses. They understand that the Society rules by fear and they are kept in line by FEAR OF EXPULSION from the only community they have been allowed to know (not to mention that their families will cut them dead if they get out of line). Plus, they have been conditioned to view themselves as "good-for-nothing-slaves" and are constantly told that their opinions don't matter (This is especially true for the Sisters). After years of this, one either internalizes the message and quits forming opinions (e.g., THINKING), or one refuses to believe that one lacks personal value or a brain or a right to actually one's Jehovah-given brain. Then, a painful choice of being true to oneself or losing ones friend's and family over personal integrity ensues.

I am sorry your Mother is still in chains, booker-T, but happy that you have been enlightened.

outnfree

• jgnat
    jgnat

Do some reading on Cognitive Dissonance. When a man invests his entire life in to a single belief system (Fords rock), he will not give it up easily. Even when provided absolute proof (My Ford is always in the shop). Funny ideas about faith (blind faith is good) complicate the matter.

Doesn't a good JW have to run the gauntlet of some pretty scary thoughts (The FDS does not speak for Jehovah. If I lose faith in the FDS, have I also lost faith in Jehovah? I might die if I start believing this. I will never see my deceased loved ones again.) to even consider doubts?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Outnfree,

You're right on the money with this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DY

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

And when they discovery a lie its attributed to new light's revealed. Such as the cross on the Watchtowers or the celebrating of Christmas in Bethel.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

IMO we doubt and question all the time in our head about flaw in docterines we have found. Then you realize you don't want the illusive absolute truth. You'll extend the watchtowers line of credit. For jws it is not the journey it is the destination

Us "raised as JWs" are real hellspawn. If it clicks we make good JWs I just think few JWs are intellegent enought to realize we are so shallow. The mar 15 2004 says "by preaching we can save ourselves and those who listen to us" I am not makeing this up we are finally as shallow on paper as I always knew we were. Everyone go back to the kingdom halls it is getting good. Now that I can save my self I am definitely ditching this Jesus guy.

• minimus
    minimus

We were taught that all of the old WT. history is unimportant. Why dwell on ancient history when there's so many new truths just waiting to be discovered? I knew all about the "old lite" and the wrong assumptions but since "the lite gets brighter and brighter"----it's ok.-----it's even to be expected. It's called CONDITIONING!!!!

• Nina
    Nina

Actually, I did see, but I didn't know how to put it all together.

When I started to study I made it a point to collect all the older publications, and I mean all the things that WT had ever printed! I read every single one of them. I studied them. I read a lot of them repeatedly, trying to make sense of the things that didn't match. I made notes, I asked Elders. I was given the cold shoulder. I asked the person I was studying with (it took me a looooong time to get to baptism) and her answer was that it didn't matter because those were just old things they didn't believe any more anyhow. I told myself that she just didn't have a very studious attitude and I kept asking. I got a reputation for having an "independent spirit". I even asked them about THAT, wondering how wanting to understand more about "The Truth" could be giving me an independent spirit.

I studied harder. I spent hours a day reading and thinking about what I had read. I spent more time talking to any JW that would listen. I didn't do this with an argumentative attitude, I really thought that other people knew what the solution was and that I was just missing the point!

I made myself sick. I think it would be called "cognitive dissonance". I became depressed. I couldn't understand why, although I kept searching for it, I wasn't able to come to an "accurate knowledge", and why, although I worked so hard to bring my life into harmony with the scriptures I could see that the things I was being taught were out of harmony themselves.

I guess that sums up most of what it was like to be a faithful witness, which is another way to say being blind and living in the dark. I was looking for the light but I didn't find it anywhere within WTBTS. It was only when I looked on the outside of "the organization" that I could see what was really going on. Most JW's haven't done that...yet. The seeds are there. A lot of JW's are goodhearted and intelligent people. Give them time. They will find the light.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit