Addicted to Misery

by Lady Lee 42 Replies latest social relationships

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Eman I read Erin Pizzey's first book Scream Quietly or the Neighbors will Hear years ago. It was my first look into spousal abuse in the UK and I was thrilled some work was being done on the issue over there. I look forward to reading this new book. Thanks

I totally agree that this goes both ways. In fact, in my experience people from dysfunctional families seem to attract each other. Over and over again. My ex, (who was a child victim of abuse) has married two women who were sexually abused as children and now he is seeing a third one. Like flies to the fire.

I knew when I was young and had a crush on a young brother who came from a good family that I could never let him see what my family was really like. I was so ashamed of them and of myself. So I lowered my standards and married the man my mother chose.

Learned to identify not only the overt signals of troubled person but also the more subtle warning signals can protect us and help us walk away.

I will post another chapter later today

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

TWO

Addictions

The word addiction appears in Webster?s dictionary as:

n. condition of being a slave to a habit; strong inclination, devotion to a habit.

This total, consuming dependency on something, without regard for consequences, is what makes the notion of addiction so incredible.

Alcohol-dependent or addicted persons (alcoholics), commonly sacrifice jobs and families in order not to address their addiction and quit drinking. Yet when asked, they place the highest value on having a good job and family life.

People who are drug-addicted often engage in illegal activities just to get their drugs. This sociopathic behavior may be extremely foreign to them yet the need for their dependency preempts any and all concern for society?s rules. The risk of arrest, embarrassment, conviction and prison all seem a reasonable price to satisfy their addictive needs.

Eating disorders or addictions fall into three categories. Anorexics are those persons who starve themselves, put their bodies at high risk for a multitude of symptoms which could result in heart failure and death, although, when asked if they want to die, they generally deny it. Bulimics, those who binge on enormous amounts of food (10,000 calories and more), then induce vomiting, many times rival the financial problems of drug addicts because of what appears to be an insatiable need for food. Obese persons, too, risk serious medical complications and social rejection even though most obese people wish to be accepted and liked.

Gambling and sexual addicts suffer severe consequences for their behavior and addictions. Gamblers face financial ruin for themselves and for anyone who backs them. Sex addicts risk harsh legal and societal consequences for their behavior but they seem ready to do so in order to satisfy their needs.

Addiction to Misery

Persons addicted to misery (ATMs) are chronically miserable or anticipating the return of a miserable state. Two conditions prevail for ATMs. First, they remain in their misery because of the catastrophic expectations they create surrounding those changes needed to stop being miserable. An example of this might be, "Living with my husband may be terrible, but I don?t think I could make it without his money," or "I hate this job; it makes me miserable but I couldn?t find another job anywhere and we might lose our home."

Second, if they find their way out of the miserable state or condition, then happiness, self-satisfaction ?and pleasure are so foreign to them that the unfamiliarity acts to sabotage the relief they feel. The classic example of this is, "I love the way things are going but I know it can?t last." Or "I?ve never been so happy or felt so free but something is going to go wrong.

Psychologically, when we expect something so much, we either go out and look for it or it inevitably finds us. In either case, we return to the misery.

A working definition of persons who are addicted to misery is:

Persons who have experienced a chronic and prolonged state of misery or unhappiness and maintained that misery by creating catastrophic expectations about the changes required to stop the addiction; and/or who, once the changes occur, experience significant discomfort with happiness, self-satisfaction and pleasure, such that they cause either purposeful or directed behaviors to return them to the misery.

Going back to the concept of how powerful and consuming addictions are is the basis for understanding how they work. When we see people prepared to give up someone warm and caring who will kiss them goodnight in exchange for some white powder; or trade a good job for the bottle; or look into a mirror at an emaciated body and say, "Look at that bulge where my skin is overlapping/or steal every penny they can to play the horses ? we begin to understand the power and control that addictions have. Addictions maintain totally inappropriate behaviors without regard for any consequences.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Elements of All Addictions

All addictions, whether to alcohol, drugs, food, sex, codependency, misery or whatever, have six main components: 1) denial; 2) loss of control, or powerlessness; 3) continued usage without regard for consequences; 4) repression of feelings; 5) obsessive-compulsive thoughts and behavior; 6) withdrawal symptoms.

Denial

Addictions of all types begin with denial. Recognizing and admitting that which creates problems in his life is the last thing an addict wants to do. Disavowing painful reality is a very normal thing for us to do, especially if recognizing our problem means we must make hard decisions which could affect the basic structure of our lives.

Admitting that we are helplessly caught in a relationship with an addicted spouse or friend, being attached to that person and finding our every move directed by the addiction, is painful and frightening. Looking honestly into ourselves and seeing that we are prepared to trade our loved ones or an excellent job for the bottle or drug is oftentimes impossible. So often we say, "I?ve already fouled things up, so it?s easier to let it go on than face more shame and embarrassment."

Denial of our addiction provides us two possibilities. One is to avoid making changes which might result in further failure. The second is to avoid rejection by others which might occur even if we made the necessary changes. These two forces alone keep the denial going.

Loss of Control

? Powerlessness

By the nature of addiction, the loss of control or powerlessness, is at the center of all addiction symptoms. The alcoholic or drug-addicted person is unable to "use" socially without the loss of control. It is not possible to predict the outcome of any usage. This pervasive condition makes life unmanageable and before too long, serious consequences result.

You see this phenomenon in eating-disordered, sexually-addicted, gambling-addicted, chemically-dependent, and co-dependent persons, clear examples of loss of control resulting from addiction; a sense of total powerlessness exists. Anorexic, bulimic and obese persons all use food in a manner such that they clearly seem to be powerless over its effect. The food itself seems to?trigger uncontrollable behaviors that result in unmanageable consumption and life situations. Sex addicts and gamblers find themselves in the same loss-of-control and powerless states. Co-dependents lose emotional control in their attempt to control others. The controlling of others becomes the main element that takes away the control and makes life unmanageable for the co-dependent, as alcohol does to an alcoholic.

All addictions have this feature. It doesn?t matter what consequences the addict faces due to continued usage, the only thing that matters is to follow the needs of the addiction. Loss of job, family, threat of imprisonment, financial ruin, physical danger have little or no meaning when the addiction?s needs call out. I?ve seen people opt to go to jail because they thought they could get drugs more easily there. Others give up their husbands, wives and children in order not to make changes and deal with their dependencies. Co-dependents remain in emotionally and physically abusive marriages for years just to avoid changing themselves and addressing their co-dependent ways. The idea that it doesn?t matter is so powerful that even the addicts cannot believe the actions of their co-dependents.

Repression of Feelings

To repress one?s feelings is like over-stuffing garbage in a trash bag. Eventually, it becomes so full that it explodes, throwing its contents everywhere. Now you?ve got garbage all over and no one wants to come near it. The same thing happens with feelings. After stuffing so long, you usually end up exploding and everybody wants to get away and stay away. Repressing or pushing feelings down and not letting them come out is common for all addicts.

People who become addicted to misery are excellent repressors of feelings. By doing so, they are able to pretend they don?t feel, and they don?t have to act upon those feelings. But once someone cares enough about themselves, they must deal with and accept their feelings.

Obsessive-Compulsive Thoughts And Behavior

Addictions of all types are characterized by obsessive or constant thoughts having to do with some aspect of controlling the addiction. Planning and scheming when, where and how to "use" is common for alcoholic and drug-dependent persons. Co-dependents constantly let

The First Step

At the heart of all anonymous self-help groups is the basic Step 1:

"We have admitted we were powerless over (the addiction) and that our lives have become unmanageable."

Understanding what you must accept in order to begin recovery from any addiction is fundamental to this First Step notion. The part of powerlessness that makes acceptance so hard is seeing oneself as "less than" or "not as good as" others. Remember, addicts are already feeling significantly inadequate. Having to admit to being powerless" magnifies the enormity of their feelings of worthlessness and their poor self-concept.

Medicators Of Life

When I visit the dentist and he tells me he is going to pull a tooth, I ask for all the medication I need to kill the pain. The same thing is true in life in dealing with emotional pain. Somehow, all humans have the ability to disavow painful reality, that is, to deny what they don?t want to deal with. Loneliness, boredom, fear, hurt, sadness, rejection, painful feelings are things we always want to ignore or avoid. That is human nature and we have learned that we can use other things to medicate those feelings, just like the anesthetics the dentist uses to prevent pain.

I?ve never met an addicted person who invented a new emotion; but the addiction, to alcohol, drugs, food, sex, gambling or whatever, acted as a medicator, allowing the addict to disavow the painful reality he felt, providing a very powerful reinforcer and emotional bond to the addiction. Let?s face it, if drinking temporarily removes the feeling of loneliness; if drugging stops the pain of rejection; if eating satisfies the void of boredom, doesn?t it make sense that the medicating effects will keep the addiction going? Anything that feels better than stopping and changing will maintain the addiction for years, through drastic consequences, before some change occurs.

In the course of prolonged exposure, we become familiar with the scenario and our misery grows as change continues to be avoided. This is very important in misery addiction.

Laboratory Experiments

1. Look at Elements of All Addictions. Determine how these things may apply to your present life. See if you can relate what you do to maintain these elements.
    2. Define what medicators you use and write out some situations describing this. Evaluate how effective the medicators you use are in helping your situation and your feelings.
    3. Think about the changes you might consider making to feel better. Write them down.
    4. Develop a list of the things you worry about most. Break this down into daily, weekly and monthly worries.
  • Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Kinda sorta almost like Borderline Personality Disorder

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Lee, thank you so much for that excellent material! I remember when I first started working on my "adult child" issues back in the early 90's sitting and reading the "list" at the beginning of the book and going "Oh my god! That's me!!!" It was such a relief to finally find out why I was acting the way I was and being able to give it a name! I read some of Claudia Black's stuff too, and even got one of her videos from a place that carries all kinds of material on recovery, etc. I won't say I'm cured, but, then, I don't think you ever get totally over it. You just become aware of it quicker and stop the behavior, when you do. The other day I was thinking of another related subject.........depression, and why so many are depressed. I came to the conclusion that it's because we have expectations of always being happy, and that life is supposed to be great fun all the time..............that was a huge moment of awareness for me, like a beacon or lightbulb going off in my head. I continue to work on my issues, slowly peeling layer after layer of denial and damage away............the difference between now and when I first got started is that I don't have as much fear of what I'm going to find. In fact, I rather enjoy diving in there and seeing what's hiding away in the shadows...........because I always find awesome gems of strength and wisdom.

Terri

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    because I always find awesome gems of strength and wisdom

Ain't that the truth

I will be posting more of this later as I get them scanned and take out the pieces that are most helpful

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

THREE

Getting Familiar

With Misery

Co-dependency teaches us many ways of dealing with life. Unfortunately, these ways often create prolonged unhappiness, making us so familiar with misery that we come to feel it is normal. We learn that being unhappy and having things go wrong is to be expected. Whether our codependency expectations come from the families we grew up in or from living with someone who is dependent, we are prepared for a life with many disappointments, frustrations and misery. Getting used to the traumas and unpredictable situations is hard at first, but we do learn, in order to survive. These experiences shape our thinking such that we imagine and experience situation after situation that is never what we want, never the way it should be, never right. This is where our familiarity with misery begins as a co-dependent.

Pre-existing Developmental Impairments

Children growing up in dysfunctional (another new word) families where things are out of control, develop emotional impairments which stay with them for life. These may take the form of not trusting themselves or others, inability to talk about their feelings, and the most hurtful, the inability to feel their feelings. Imagine the frustration of having something that hurts inside your body, yet not being able to point to where the pain is. Additionally, we become rigid and inflexible, we only like things that are either black or white, right or wrong, and we hate situations that leave unclear results. When that happens, we have feelings of nervousness and anxiety that we can?t explain but we suffer with them patiently. As adults we see the world this way and cope with it by seeking ways to deal with our distrust, repression of feelings and rigidity. Avoiding boredom, finding excitement and looking for approval and acceptance become our daily tasks.

These conditions set the emotional stage for us to develop co-dependency. They also dictate the direction that many of our adult interpersonal relationships will take. Tragically, we choose persons to have relationships with for all the wrong reasons ? reasons like: "He needs me. I can make him better. Who will take care of him if I don?t? I know I can make him happier than he has ever been. I don?t think I can get anybody else." These reasons show how we feel about ourselves. Woody Allen had a line in his movie, Annie Hall, that fits co-dependents so well. "I would never want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member."

Who would really take us seriously? Our only real value lies in what we can do for others and that is never appreciated. Our self-image is so poor, our way of addressing feelings so inadequate, that we remain hopelessly stuck. We need to understand the origins of these conditions if any meaningful change is to occur in our lives.

Internalizing Feelings And Our Self-Image

Probably the earliest behavior we learn in getting familiar with misery is to internalize or stuff our feelings. Simply put, this means we don?t talk about what feels bad, what feels good, what feels sad or what we feel. Instead, we keep the feelings inside and try to make them go away. Having to push our emotions inside makes us feel that no one cares. For a child, this is devastating. Unresponsive parents, caught up in their own problems, give children inaccurate messages. The distressed mother, struggling with her alcoholic husband, is oftentimes too preoccupied to deal with the emotional needs of her child. I?ve seen this over and over with many adult children of alcoholics. They say, "I never talked about how I felt. I was too busy trying to help keep the peace. I never felt anyone cared."

Familiar Versus Unfamiliar Experiences

Power and Control

The experiences of a child living in a dysfunctional home, be it alcoholic, abusive, divorced or emotionally dead, certainly teach two things ? first, how important it is to gain as much control in life as possible, and second, never to be powerless over anything because being powerless means to lack control and having no control results in misery.

Dysfunctional families give us the terrible feeling of being out of control and the knowledge of how powerless we are. You make a pact with yourself early in life that, as soon as possible, you will gain control and have power over the events of your life. You can see this happen in young children when they begin withdrawing from people. They shy away from others, especially grownups, and want to be left alone. This is the root of shyness or self-centered fear of what others might think about us. Yet we do this as a way to use our power to stop others from controlling us.

Dependent on Feeling Miserable

As the emotional trauma of our dysfunctional family unfolds, teaching us so many wrong realities, our codependency is spawned. Seeing the world as chaotic, out of control and not meaningful, forces us to learn to cope in poor ways. Yet, living with constant stress causes us to use defenses to deal with the real world. We become defended rather than defensive. The psychic numbing, or repression of memory and feelings, starts the misery which begins the dependency. It is what we come to expect. It is what feels normal. It is what we miss when it is absent. We depend on feeling miserable and we find the uncertainty, when that misery subsides, to be frustrating, worrisome and downright uncomfortable.

Attachment and Detachment

Getting familiar with misery teaches us many painful things. The relationships we form become places of great misery, making loneliness and disassociation the only sanctuary for an absence of misery.

Attachment is a process whereby you become emotionally and physically dependent on someone to take care of you. Children attach to parents as a means of survival. The process is appropriate in that case but when adults attach themselves to other adults, relationships are threatened, power and control issues are great and sick dependencies are spawned.

Even though closeness is avoided, misery addicts and co-dependents often become attached to people and relationships that are destructive, uncaring and unsupportive. The attachment provides a false sense of security and belonging. For most ATMs and co-dependents, fear of abandonment is so great that they will do anything to avoid it. This comes from living in families where people were never really there for them emotionally.

The main problem with attachment is the pain and restriction of freedom experienced by being so emotionally connected to someone. The dependency on this attachment makes it impossible to be independent and secure. Until the co-dependent learns to detach, recovery is threatened.

Detachment is a process of letting go of that "I can?t live without this person" feeling. To detach, self-confidence must emerge and the person?s self-reliance must take over. When I explain this to my clients, sometimes they think I am suggesting that they stop loving or caring about their spouses or partners. As I discussed earlier, taking care of is a very unhealthy process, though caring for is certainly desirable. Detaching is learning to care for, not take care of. It is a process of becoming un-dependent on the effects of others. This prevents us from being controlled by the emotional needs of others, or worse, trying to change them, as a way to feel better.

Anhedonia

Most of the discussion in this chapter has been to explain the process of how we get familiar with misery. It is important to understand this and see what getting familiar with misery does to us emotionally.

Anhedonia is a psychological condition, defined as the inability to be happy, have fun, or experience common sensual pleasures. Becoming familiar with misery results in just these things. We don?t consider ourselves emotionally ill but we find it difficult to balance unpleasant experiences with pleasant ones. As experiences accumulate and we are chronically unhappy and scared, we become anhedonic. Another way to view anhedonia is as a state of numbness. So often, as people seek help, they discover how difficult it is to identify any feelings, after such prolonged exposure to these conditions.

This inability to be happy is not symptomatic only of depression. Certainly, a symptom of depression is the loss of interest in common activities, but that disappears after successful intervention with medication or psychotherapy. This symptom, loss of pleasure, remains only until the biochemical elements kick in, in an endogenous depression caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. In a reactive depression there is a direct causal connection to a situation, e.g. in a divorce, once the person has therapeutically worked through the trauma or crisis, he is able to revert to normal functioning and experience pleasure once again.

Not so with ATMs! ATMs who have left the reactive situations which caused loss of pleasure may continue to have the symptom for up to two years. Their anhedonia is connected to their long familiar history of misery and even when life improves, things just don?t feel good.

This condition must be identified and worked with as a treatment issue if the addiction to misery is to be dismantled. Due to chronic unhappy experiences, it will take time for the emotional system to respond to things as they really are. During the recovery period, we will have to work very hard at identifying and processing these good feelings until they are familiar.

Laboratory Experiments

1. Try to remember what the rules were in your home when you were growing up. Identify what your family taught you about your feelings, about trusting and talking. Be specific.

2. If stuffing feelings is what you generally do, think back to when this began. Ask yourself why? Work hard at remembering how feelings were dealt with while you were growing up. List specific situations when you remember not being able to express feelings.

3. Explore what you think was familiar for you as a child about trusting others, risking, caring for yourself.

4. Think about how long you have felt miserable and how many times, when things were going well, you somehow found a way to mess them up and get back to the misery.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Worry: The Catalyst

Of Misery

It should be clear now how significant our early experiences are in developing the image we have of ourselves. If, as children, we received praise and encouragement from our parents, this contributed to our early development of good self-concept. Seeing our parents show concern for us and others taught us sensitivity. Watching as they entered into risking situations showed us how to trust. Seeing them share their feelings with one another in caring and compassionate ways educated us in ways to express feelings.

However, if our family repressed feelings, criticized and didn?t show caring, and taught us that we couldn?t trust anyone, then we began our journey into adulthood with pre-existing impairments for interacting with people and having relationships. Further, a child who rarely feels accomplishment is never comfortable accepting praise or compliments as an adult. What basis would there be to believe them?

When we discussed pre-existing developmental impairments in the last chapter, we began to see the foundation being laid for our familiarity with misery. We also observed how this familiarity with unhappiness versus happiness prepared us to expect things to go wrong and to expect the worst. It is this locking into misery that starts the cycle of addiction to misery.

Locking Into Misery

Locking into, or getting hooked on the present miserable or uncomfortable situation is not as hard as it sounds. When someone living in an abusive relationship asks for help, tell them, "Just get out! Leave. Throw the abuser out!"

I didn?t need eight years of advanced education, two years of internship, state licensing and a million dollars in malpractice insurance to know that. It is simple. If it hurts, remove the thing that is causing the hurt. Although this makes sense, it rarely worked for my clients, especially those who were co-dependent andlor who came from dysfunctional families. They seemed doomed to continue agonizing over-making the changes to improve their life situation. Their apparent locking into their misery was astonishing. And yet, locking into misery is assured by the continual childhood experiences. Those negative experiences produced a series of attitudes and behaviors which prevent letting go of the misery, or developing defenses to help them make the changes. Instead, with the familiarity of dysfunction comes the locking into the misery. A main element of locking, into misery is worry about making changes.

Misery Level

Determining your misery level is quite simple. If, for example, you dislike your boss but are being paid an excellent salary, you probably can withstand a fairly high level of misery, especially if you really don?t think you can get the same pay elsewhere. Auto workers, for example,

receive excellent pay and benefits, yet they complain a great deal about how miserable they feel. Unfortunately, as most are aware, they could not make as much money outside of the industry. As a result of this, very few leave.

Men and women in abusive relationships complain about how miserable they are. It never ceases to amaze me how much physical and emotional abuse someone will take. Certainly these people have a very high tolerance for misery.

To get more scientific about your actual misery level, try this exercise. List at least five things which, if you experienced them, would make you miserable. Rank them in order from the lowest to the highest misery level. Then write down what you feel is making you miserable now. Place it in the ranking. This will give you a relative value in comparison to the other items you have identified as miserable things. This level is important. You can begin to look at options for changing. When you do, your level of worry about the change becomes the dictating factor. This worry index will keep even the most miserable person hopelessly locked into the situation.

Worry Index

A simple device I invented to assess worry was the Worry Index. You can easily use it to see just how high your worry ranks and what effect it has in relation to your misery.

On a piece of paper, draw a horizontal line. Put numbers across it from 1 to 10, marking the area under the 1, low, and under the 10, high. See Figure 4.1.

I I I I I I I I I I

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    LOW HIGH

Figure 4.1. Worry Index

Now assign a value to your present situation, that is, decide how worried you are about what is happening to you in the present. This will give you a focusing point for

looking at other scenarios you might consider and their level of worry in relation to your present worry. We know most co-dependents are excellent worriers so this exercise should be easy to do, as well as essential. On the back of the paper, list as many alternative situations as you can. Regardless of their consequences, assign each of these new possibilities a value as to how much worry they would generate if you changed from your present situation to this new one. Mark its value on the Worry Index line as well. After you have done this for all your new possibilities, you will have a clear picture of your present worry index in relation to any other possible options.

After having hundreds of patients do this, I have found that any comparative situation which had a Worry Index spread of four points (present situation = 6; new situation = 10) rarely was considered as an alternative. A three point difference improved the likelihood of change about 30%. It wasn?t until the change was seen as relatively the same as or less worrisome that a move was considered.

The impact of this information is important. You may have defined how miserable or unhappy you are in your present situation. You may even think that you can endure no more pain. But making the changes to feel better and stop the misery seems so frightening that you will remain locked into your present situation, continuing to be miserable.

Change Looks Good, But ...

As we?ve seen, our misery is maintained much .longer than it should be. People stay in miserable jobs, relationships and families as if they were galvanized to them. This is due to the worry they have about the changes that must take place before they can feel better. A change may look good on the surface but emotionally it?s terrifying. Co-dependents, as a rule, have poor self-esteem, feel inadequate, have little experience caring about themselves and find it impossible to trust themselves or others.

Believing that they have the ability to make good decisions and survive, is even harder.

Although change may look good, co-dependents don?t make those decisions. Co-dependents just don?t feel they can risk. For them, change looks like a monster out there, just waiting to devour them. Most people avoid catastrophes if they can; co-dependents always avoid them. Catastrophic expectations will keep the co-dependent hopelessly addicted to misery.

Laboratory Experiments

1. Use the model in the Misery Level section. At the top of your paper, write what is making you the most miserable now in your life. Below that, identify and write five other things that, if you experienced them, would also make you miserable. Be sure to rank them. Decide where your present misery is in comparison to the five things you?ve listed.

2. Use the Worry Index model. Identify your present level of worry and alternatives. Plot these and get a better picture of what you?re likely to risk and change. Now go back in time. Write down something that you were miserable about earlier in your life. Try to remember what things you worried about that kept you from changing. Plot these on another Worry Index. Then list the specific things you did that helped change your Worry Index and move on to the new situation.

3. Using your alternatives to make changes and reduce misery, think of ways to modify those options to lower worry and promote the likelihood of making

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Wow! Lee, thank you for this "meaty" information! I did a quick review of the material and already see many points to think about and apply to my own life at my own level of growth and experience!

Love,

Terri

P.S. I never became aware of it til now, but my middle name is the same as your first name! LOL!

• Xandria
    Xandria

Thanks Lee!

Reading and reminding myself.

X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit