I'm I the only one here that..................

by reganashe 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I don't know I feel about it to be honest.. I am not ready for religion right now.. I won't go so far as to say I don't believe in God. I think I do. But I also think if there is a God, he understands and sees what I have been through and is patient for me to the day when I can handle religion if it is important.. Right now the thought of it gives me anixiety attacks

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

Religion should serve as a moral compass, point you in the right direction. Anything beyond that and I'm scared.

• boa
    boa

Ditto for what DanTheMan said for me.

I will do my darndest to prepare my children to avoid handing over their lives and or money to any religion or other organization that they don't fully understand and realize its purpose.

I wasn't taught to think critically either as a born in it dub, but some rational, reasoning part of me plus a titch of honesty and courage got me out after 3 decades - sheesh.

Thanks for the specific 'boas' thank you reganshe.

boa (again)

• reganashe
    reganashe

That's everyone, I don't feel like such a weirdo I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That makes me happy.

Reganashe

• Bryan
    Bryan

My wife and I are very spiritual. Neither of us attend nor feel the need for any religion; they are all man made. That said... I do have the utmost respect for peoples desire to have religion in their life. Some people need this to feel complete (others have suggested we are hardwired for God, and thus the desire to be close to God, which calls in religion).

When in Houston we do love attending the Unity Church. They do not teach doctrines, only to be accepting, be possitive and love all peoples. Rev. Howard Cesar is a great speaker as well.

We've tried Unity Churches in ther cities, but they just don't have the same energy.

Bryan

Edited to add: http://www.unityhouston.org/

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't think that churches have... what I need. Or perhaps it's that I don't need what churches have.

I feel that religion was made up to 'control' people. Look at the 'bible', and tell me I'm wrong.

It puts forth a "If you're 'good' - you'll go to heaven. If you're 'bad' - you'll go to hell." type of scenario.

The bible also puts forth a "You can ONLY worship ONE God." This was done to 'control' the masses - years ago.

Nope... I don't need that.

Do I believe in... 'god'? Perhaps - but not on the same level that others do... I feel that there is a 'force' out there. It is invisible... and at times 'helps' me - when I need it. Not sure what it is... I don't 'pray' - but I also try to not 'pi**off' that force, either.

This probably makes zero sense to yall. Sorry for rambling.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Wallflower
    Wallflower

No, your not alone. More and more people are realising the futility of organised religion and how dangerous their dictums are. One hand you have religious dogma and on the other your own free will. You cannot truly have both at once. Organised religion is based on control, control at any cost.

To quote the writer Edward Abbey :

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and the hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward."

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell.

Spirituality is for people who have already been there.

Man, that is a good one. SF Jim if that was an orginal thought by you may I use it?

Shutterbug, it's not an original thought by me. A very wise man in the Virgin Islands said that to me many years ago. He passed away more than ten years ago. I'm not sure if he was the first person to say it, or whether he was also passing along someone else's wisdom. In any event, I'm sure the orginator of the statement would have no problem with your requoting it. I just thought it was very profound.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I feel the same way based on my experiences being raised as a JW and my eventual "escape" from it

I must add that the Catholics and Unitarians and Protestants and Jews I have met after my JW departure have accepted me on whatever terms I present ; I do not have to be a member of their faith for a friendship.

I agreed with my wife ( who was raised Catholic) that we wanted some kind of religion ( spiritual base) to raise our children. I did not want them raised in a spiritual vacuum which would leave them at a loss later in life ( like when a JW calls; they might listen). I do not believe atheism is for children.

We attend the local Family Mass at the Catholic church. The Catholics know that I am not Catholic and they are still very friendly and supportive of me, my kids and family. I am made to feel like I belong.

Do I believe any of it? No. It is a contribution to family unity. Do my kids believe it? I do not know; and am sure to make them question everything and to be balanced about it. The doctrines are never discussed. We might as well be attending a Buddist Temple or Jewish Temple .

It works for me. This would never be possible with a Jehovahs Witness service.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I feel the same way. The one thing that the society got right was that "religion is a snare and a racket."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit