In the US: Our Children Will Be Subjected to Selective Service Very Soon

by gespro 46 Replies latest social current

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I, too, don't believe that there will be a draft. It would be political suicide for whoever did it, and it smacks of opportunism and sensationalism on the part of Ralph Nader, who is a pretty marginal candidate at best, and is looking for headlines. Besides, warfare isn't nearly as labor intensive as it used to be.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

The only way I see the draft coming back is if we find ourselves embroiled in a conflict on the scale of World War II. Lacking that, the U.S. government simply won't commit the funds to finance a standing army of conscripts who have no immediate war to wage.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm starting to think the world is right... the US is on a military campaign to conquer the world and remake it in our image.

The only time a country runs short on troops is when a lot of them are being used. This is a major red flag to me.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Why the hell would our good Canadian friends agree to send these young men back?? The draft at time like this would be evil. And didn't they learn at all? I think the branches of service probably agree that soldiers who are forced to join will not fight with the same conviction as soldiers who join the armed services willingly and with a plan.

My son will be 20 next month. He does not believe in this war and he does not want to go fight in it. If you force him, he is going to be a sitting duck.

Flyin'

• Atilla
    Atilla

I think our current system already works like a draft. Who mostly joins the military in large numbers these days? Answer: Those who have the least amount of options when it comes to their future, i.e. the poor and minorities. Who doesn't join the military, of course those with money but even those families with modest amounts of money. I recently saw that out of all of the members in the Congress and the Senate, only like 2 or 3 of them actually had sons or daughters in the military. That's a serious disconnect when these representatives are the only legal barrier curtailing the President's War Powers with the War Powers Act that was enacted in the 70's.

I don't favor the draft but I do think that some kind of automatic military service should come into affect when you turn 18, boy or girl. I believe France and Isreal have similar programs for their youths when they turn 18 so that they have to put in 1 or 2 years of service and then go on to college or whatever. Of course, you could also have some form of secondary non-militarty sevice for all the dubbies who couldn't in good conscience serve their country.

• talesin
    talesin

I can't see a draft being reinstated. This sounds more like a political ploy to distract people from the real election issues.

BUT

If there is, I am sure that there will be another 'underground railway' established to Canada for those who do not want to 'serve'. And I will be happy to be a part of it. Not to worry, peeps, we will be there for you, as always, no matter what deals the government makes.

talesin

• blondie
    blondie
    Canada itself has resisted the war in Iraq. Backed by overwhelming public sentiment, its government officially refused to join the "coalition forces." But much has changed in the 35 years since a draft dodger or G.I. could simply present himself at Canada's border and sign up for landed-immigrant status. "In the '60s, we didn't have a refugee determination system," explains the former Immigration and Refugee Board member, Audrey Macklin, a professor of law at the University of Toronto. "The war resisters who came were not required to jump through any hoops. Now we have a rigorous one-by-one approach and more complex and narrow regimes for permitting entry."

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0414/solomon.php

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Draftees do not fight as well as volutneers so the Military doesnt want them.

Sorry, maybe next time.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Do you have any idea how many 'draftees' would fail to meet the new weight standards *LOL*

• roybatty
    roybatty

There is no way in hell that any congressman is going to vote for a draft. Besides, the new army isn't like the old army. They don't want just any Tom, Dick or Harry. With the high-tech war, they need highly skilled people and a draft isn't going to help much. It's one thing if someone wants to volunteer for the army and a war, it's something totally differnt to draft them. With the exception of an invasion of the US (ala China) there is no way a draft will fly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit