Use the New World Translation instead of your Bible!

by UnDisfellowshipped 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Here are a couple of very interesting Watchtower quotes to show Jehovah's Witnesses who are trying to get you to use the New World Translation instead of your own Bible:

Reasoning Book (1989), Page 279:

'There are many translations of the Bible. Our Society encourages the use of a variety of them in order to make comparisons and to help students to grasp the real sense of the Scriptures. As you may know, the Bible was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. So we appreciate what translators have done to put it into our language. Which Bible translation do you use?'

All Scripture Inspired Book (1990), Page 321:

From the time that the magazine The Watchtower began to be published in 1879, the publications of the Watch Tower Society have quoted, cited, and referred to scores of different Bible translations. Thus, the Society has recognized the value of all of them and has made use of the good in all of them as being of value in clearing away religious confusion and setting forth the message of God.

I think those two quotes can be very useful.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

well that's sweet of them...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LOL@the Rev!!!!!

The WTS don't really mean it though, do they?

Ozzie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

##Thus, the Society has recognized the value of all of them

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point here.......the WTS is saying outwardly that it gives credence to other versions in forming a well-rounded understanding of scriptures, BUT-----wants and expects JWs to use the NWT almost exclusively. (Except when certain spurious passages are shored up by their particular teachings)

I know when I was "studying" with them, I was strongly encourage to use "their version" instead of my KJV that I'd had since childhood---with the explanation that ALL the Brothers and Sisters at the KH used the same bible and it would be "much easier" if I got used to using that one too.

It "was easier" but I didn't discover until 30+ years later how contrived and badly (and inaccurately) it was composed and put together.

Annie

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

You know, I've always wondered why there are so many citations from other Bibles in various study guides. If the NWT is so perfect, then why do they cite scriptures from other Bibles? Or is this another smoke and mirrors technique to make it appear that they give other Bibles some credit?

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

It is not smoke an mirrors. I believe the JWs used the ASV before the NWT and the NWT paraphases other bibles. In reality most unitarians enjoy the NWT due to the sterile rendering of scriptures that "support" the trinity.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I refuse to keep any JW literature --and that includes their NWT Bible. The only bible in my home Library is the King James version. And I only keep that because I want my children to be aware that the Bible is a religious book that they should have SOME familiarity with. I place more emphasis on the Greek mythology and the Gods of ancient Rome; those books have more prominence in my home.

• azaria
    azaria

I gave my mother the KJV (large print-so she could read it more easily) but there was no response from her. I personalized it by putting in the names of her kids and grandkids-birthdays etc., even a couple of bookmarks that I made a few years ago (picture of her kids with a bible verse) Really tried to make it something special. I'm afraid that she won't read it. Does a JW not just read the bible as a whole or do they just read excerpts that pertain to a specific article in the magazines? I guess they don't or more wittnesses would question why the KJV is so different from the NWT. Personally I find the NWT more difficult to read. There are times when it makes absolutely no sense to me.

• GreenDragon
    GreenDragon

There are lots of things in the NWT that makes no sense to me like

Rom 8:21 ... that the creation itself will also be set free from enslavement to corruption ...
    Rom 8:23 ... the release of our bodies by ransom ...
  • mustang
    mustang

"Unless I'm misunderstanding your point here.......the WTS is saying outwardly that it gives credence to other versions in forming a well-rounded understanding of scriptures, BUT..."

"...another smoke and mirrors technique ... "

These are typical reactions to the "Dual Opposing Doctrines(tm)*" system WTS uses to pull things off.

In the quote below, for instance, Undercover points out how there is a WRITTEN TRADITION in the Watchtower, but an ORAL TRADITION that tells you WHAT TO REALLY DO that is found by attending meetings.

* see Undercover in

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/65247/1.ashx

This quotes the Amazing post immediately preceding Undercover. Unfortunately, the Amazing post has been removed (though I have it copied for posterity).

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit