Prophecy debunked in one sentence

by logansrun 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ball.
    ball.

hybridous said

ball,

So in the case of the cat in the box - the cat is both dead and alive until the box is opened and we see what universe we're in by the outcome?

Is that the gist of that theory?

No, not, quite although your comments reminded me of Einstein who did not believe in quantum physics. He was an outspoken critic of quantum mechanics and once said regarding the uncertainty principle: "God doesn't play dice." He also said: "I like to believe that the moon is still there even if we don't look at it." But remember the key to this problem is based in the fact we cannot measure the orbits of electrons even though we have the technology to do so. Something in nature prevents us from doing so. OK, as for things that ARE there but prevent us from measuring them, how about a random thought thrown in... Apparently a special type of photography I was reading about the other day, which photographs "auras" is able to see things which are NOT there. If part of a living thing such as a leaf has a piece torn off, a subsequent photo will show the aura of the leaf in the complete shape prior to the dismemberment, at least until the leaf dies. Well I know it sounds totally un-related, but think about it. Something doesn't exist unless it's being observed? Something else appears to exist which isn't there?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Little Toe,

Bradley:You are good at jumping at the form of philosophy that suits your predisposition, and discarding all others.

I wouldn't say that. You're making a rather sweeping statement. How do you know what I have and have not investigated? All the same, I do believe some philosophies/viewpoints are stronger than others.

Since even basic physics requires the ability to measure between two points, to calculate time, how do suppose you measure time before the "Big Bang"?

There can be no such thing as measuring time (or space) before the Big Bang since neither existed before then. I thought I already said that.

Bradley believes in the "Big Bang", though. That's his flavour of philosophy.
    Big Bang cosmology has nothing to do with philosophy. It's a scientific theory that is supported by various lines of empirical evidence and is supported by the vast majority of physicists/astronomers.

I think you're a great guy LT, really. In fact, you are one of the people on this board I'd really like to meet. That said, you really need to take a crash course in skepticism and what science is all about. You do that and I'll learn how to haiku. Deal?

Bradley

• Gordy
    Gordy

If you had the power to look at what your life will be like 15 years from now, do you honestly think your life would end up that way? Wouldn't the very fact that you know how things would turn out change how you acted in the meantime, thus altering the vision you had?

If I look forward 15 years and see my life and how it turns out. How would I change the way I act now? Basically I couldn't because I wouldn't know what act it was that caused my life to be the way it is in 15 years time. If I've had the vision isn't that part of my life also, it could be the act that makes my life turn out the way it does. Also you are presuming that my life in 15 years is somehow not good. What if it is a good life why should I then do anything that could jeopardise it.

If God looks into the future and says to his prophet X that so-and-so will do something (like die on a cross or conquer the King of the North) wouldn't the fact that such a thing is proclaimed alter the contingencies leading to an altered situation? Or does God take this into account? If so, then everything in the universe, including God, is absolutely determined and free will is a pathetic joke.

Didn't God through Jonah prophesy that Nineveh would be destroyed because of their badness. Yet Nineveh changed because of the prophecy, Thus altered the contingencies, which led to an altered situation. So by using their free will they changed the prophecy.

• onacruse
    onacruse

FlatWorld.

We are totally incapable of thinking "outside the box," much as we might try, and so prophecy and history are irrelevant to reality.

As several posters above remark: Schroedinger, Mach, Weyl, Einstein, Weinberg would all agree. Add Leibniz, Descartes, Kant, Ouspensky...a full boat.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bradley:
    I stand by my comment about "philosophy". It affects your whole direction of reasoning.

As for my study of science and the sciences, they have been a constant in my life since I don't know when, and continue to be a preoccupation. This perhaps shows how little YOU know about MY life

Could I be more skeptical? Couldn't we all? However there are certain things that I have experienced which (whilst not being dogmatic, nor especially "ramming down other peoples throats") I have a certain level of assurance about. I find it ironic that on certain subjects (e.g. aspects of spirituality) that the main detractors seem to be ones who have never walked in the shoes of those they decry. The misguidedly believe they can "think" their way into those shoes, without ever have experienced that which is being spoken of.
    I'll take experience over theory, any day of the week.

What does a tequila worm taste like?

You definitely need to lean how to do Haiku - it'll help you "let go", eventually, after several cycles of frustration

• logansrun
    logansrun

Whatever Ross.

B.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Well, that was a constructive end to your own thread...

So, I'll ask again:
    What does a tequila worm taste like?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit