Prophecy debunked in one sentence

by logansrun 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• logansrun
    logansrun

The very act of looking into the future, changes -- indeed, negates -- that future.

Bradley

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hello Bradley. All rested up are we?

Care to elaborate on that deep non sexually oriented thread?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Well, think about it. If you had the power to look at what your life will be like 15 years from now, do you honestly think your life would end up that way? Wouldn't the very fact that you know how things would turn out change how you acted in the meantime, thus altering the vision you had?

If God looks into the future and says to his prophet X that so-and-so will do something (like die on a cross or conquer the King of the North) wouldn't the fact that such a thing is proclaimed alter the contingencies leading to an altered situation? Or does God take this into account? If so, then everything in the universe, including God, is absolutely determined and free will is a pathetic joke.

Bradley

• hybridous
    hybridous

Is this anything similar to the idea that observing a particle changes its position, therefore a particle's position always remains unknown?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The way I see it is that if the future can be observed, then that means that it has already happened and we are in a delayed time-frame. If that is not true then it means that the past, present and future all exists simultaneously and that everything is predetermined.

• logansrun
    logansrun
    If that is not true then it means that the past, present and future all exists simultaneously and that everything is predetermined.

I agree, although to say it is "predetermined" implies a time before "the past, present and future" which, of course, is nonsensical. Let's just say it's all determined all at once. Pass the Advil.

B.

• Scully
    Scully

I dunno, Bradley....

In the early 90s, I thought about where my life was going and where I wanted it to go. I knew that someday my kids were going to grow up and leave the nest and I wanted to be able to create a life for them where they would have opportunities that I did not have. It meant that I had to make a plan and work toward its fruition. I applied to Nursing School, went to classes, did my assignments and clinical placements for a few years, passed all my exams, earned all the credits and graduated as a Registered Nurse.

I wouldn't call it prophecy, exactly. It's more like good planning and goal-oriented behaviour. But I saw a goal in my future and chose the outcome I wanted. I did what I had to do to get there, so my "prophecy" was fulfilled... it wasn't the least bit negated.

The problem with WTS-style "prophecy" is that everyone is Waiting on Jehovah?. Big mistake. He's been sitting on his butt for over 6000 years, and must be on vacation for the last couple of centuries at least. Waiting on Jehovah? is the let's-do-nothing-productive-until-we-can't-take-it-anymore cop out of the JW era. That's why WTS "prophecies" are crap.

Love, Scully (just yanking your chain and messin' with ya )

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scully,

He's been sitting on his butt for over 6000 years, and must be on vacation for the last couple of centuries at least. Waiting on Jehovah?

Yes, but you must have faith. A thousand years with Jehovah is like a fourteen day 'all in' to Vegas.

HS

• Scully
    Scully

HS:

A thousand years with Jehovah is like a fourteen day 'all in' to Vegas.

Jehovah may have a thousand years to lounge around and take His sweet old time about stuff, but I'm not planning on waiting around for Him to get His act together.

Love, Scully (who gave up on faith and hasn't been to Vegas either *LOL*)

• boa
    boa

logusrun said

If so, then everything in the universe, including God, is absolutely determined and free will is a pathetic joke.

I believe that our assumptions about our own little lives here become way more important than the reality observed imo. I observe a linear timeline dating from time immemorial moving 'forward' into infinity.

Since I don't understand who or what God is, I cannot imagine what he has really created especially in view of the unknown, what 'time' is. I cannot currently believe that God is a being stuck in our linear timeline, just waiting around to start the big A - it is unrealistic to me.

If the whole mosaic of whatever 'time' and 'existance' is in this universe means that it was all laid out and I do not really have free will, so be it, I still love life and enjoy most every moment of it waking and sleeping.

boa...the pathetic joker...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit