POLL: If you're not actively a Christian - do you celebrate Easter?

by somebodylovesme 29 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I love that my JW parents invited me over for a "Ham dinner" today at my non-jw grandmother's house.

We all went. It was wonderful, such good food--oh can granny cook!!

BUT! It was NOT EASTER!! Just Ham dinner on a sunday.

My parents came straight home from the meeting to make it. Plopped down in their sunday best and heaped on the ham...cuz it's NOT EASTER!

It is to laugh.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Yes, we do. Even though I'm not Christian per say (don't really know what I am), I enjoy partaking in an age old tradition with the rest of the community.

My kids would never forgive me if we didn't have a basket of candy from the Bunster (they're teens, so he's a little cooler). They are really enjoying making up for all the years we didn't celebrate, and even "insist" that the Bunster come while they're sleeping, lol. We keep the commercial aspect down by having one basket of candy for the whole family to share.

I learned how to make Ukrainian eggs this year, as it is part of my family heritage. I do it the "old fashioned" way, using a kitska and melting bees wax over a candle, and it's relaxing and fun to partake in the whole universal egg motif. I find myself reflecting on the year that has passed and the year to come.

I bought an Easter lily for the first time in my life, and it lifts my spirits to see the pretty white flowers on it.

I actually went to church for the first time this morning- a Unitarian Universalist church. I missed the fellowship of church, and long to be involved in charitable causes that actually accomplish something tangible, instead of just marketing books. I've hooked up with a few nonchurch related projects, but most seem to be run by churches in this area.

My sons watched me get ready to go, and gave me dire warnings to "Be careful, remember what happened the last time," lol. I told them I did a little more research this time, and have no intention to join any group that tries to take away my freedom of thought.

We are so NOT having ham for dinner, though. I hate ham, and I'm the one cooking, lol. We're having turkey breast instead.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Princess:

Really? I'm surprised you don't celebrate it.

Why should I celebrate it?
    I don't have kids.
    I can just imagine me sitting tehre all on my lonesome, eating a chocolate egg.
    Hmm - right enough, they do say it's comfort food...

Besides, not all Christian's celebrate it, just as not all celebrate Xmas.

• Princess
    Princess

Hmmm, possibly Easter is more widely celebrated in the states? It's not just people with kids that celebrate, the churches are packed on Easter Sunday. I just assumed that anyone who attended church would be having some sort of celebration today. It certainly is like that here.

Steve ran off two cars this morning. One happily moved, the other guy had to get out and look to see if he would be in the way after Steve already told him he was. Jerk. We both agree we wouldn't care if they parked there but they WALK ACROSS THE GRASS!!

I think we could satisfy them with coloring eggs, and eating candy eggs. It's really just the candy issue, you know!!

OK, at your house next year. It can be a grandma thing...like the gingerbread boys at Christmas.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    OK, at your house next year. It can be a grandma thing...like the gingerbread boys at Christmas.

Goody goody! I've wanted to do it since I was 5 years old. Finally someone to do it with. Yay!!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Actually it was our holiday WAY before it was a christian holiday, as most or even possibly all of them were. We had a family get-together (not for easter) barbecue ribs, potato salad, crab salad, cheesecake, and raspberry iced tea. Delicious! As for the eggs and candy, I have done all of that in the past too but don't have young kids and I'm on a diet so I really don't want to go there.

Anyway, to each their own, all paths are equally blessed in my opinion.

Gretchen

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Princess:Maybe a razorwire fence may be in order

• Princess
    Princess
    Maybe a razorwire fence may be in order

A bit unsightly though. There is this gadget I've seen that we have thought of getting to keep cats away from the gardens that could work. It hooks up to the hose with a motion sensor. ANYTHING walks in front of it and gets blasted with water! Could make parking in front of our house quite unpleasant! (We'd only set it up on Sunday mornings, that way we keep our friends)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFL

How about a small picket fence?
    Or a nice quiet dog, on a long leash, like a Dobberman?
    LOL

• Princess
    Princess
    How about a small picket fence?

Might keep them off the grass but we'd still have to look at their cars.

Or a nice quiet dog, on a long leash, like a Dobberman?

They leave a few bits in the yard. plus, there would be no garden left after a dog!

I think the blast o'water is the key here. They don't dress up for church so we wouldn't be ruining their clothes. What can they say? We were just trying to keep the animals off the lawn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit