eating the emblems AFTER memorial...

by AuSet 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Every year after the memorial the PO of our congregation had a gathering at his house and brought the left over wine and crackers. Heck he bought them every year so guess he could take them home, lol.

It was always quite the party and a big deal if you were one of the chosen many who were invited to the bash afterward. Catch was if you had the early memorial you had to bring a covered dish and it was basically dinner there too. If you had the late memorial and showed up it was slim pickings!

I always wondered why none of the anointed brothers and sisters were invited to the bash afterwords?

hummmm......

• Erich
    Erich

hmmmm...

E. (deep blue)

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

In the congregation we were most recently associated with the brother who brought the wine usually brought some home-made stuff. Dont' know who makes the bread now...I made it for years, upon years. There was a gathering at the home of one of the other elders "to contemplate further the implications of the Memorial celebration." LOL - just another name for a party. They ate the bread and drank the wine. Reminds me of what my sister thinks about holiday candies (Christmas candy,Valentines chocolates, Easter candy). She buys the stuff after the holiday when it is on sale, and since it is not the holiday anymore, somehow it is ok to eat and not participating in the holiday. I may be splitting hairs but it feels like a fine line again, just like 'what is the difference between celebrating birthdays and celebrating wedding anniversaries.' If you are going to do one, why not the other? If holidays are so bad, why have anything to do with them at all? would you put up a Santa Claus in July, just because it's not Christmas anymore?

• JTAM
    JTAM

I loved the memorial. It was one of the legal times as a kid to get schnockered! It took our family about 5 years of being zealous proselytizers before we were annointed with the privilage of being among the inner sanctum. But once we were, oh joy! While the others who wanted to be among the elite vacummed the hall in hopes of getting a late invite, we are nibbling the bread and breaking out the cheeses.

As soon as we would get back home, the people would start showing up with more wine, more covered dishes and wouldn't leave until the pass over became the passed out.

My next favorite almost holiday was New Years.... did anyone else "not" celebrate this holiday? Magically, the congregation would show up at the house at about 8:30 with champaign and would dance and drink until midnight when everyone would migrate to the living room and "not" watch the TV as Dick Clark counted down the giant ball in Times Square.

Awe, I wax nostalgic for the hidden celebrations and the mysterious phone calls I still get on the day I was born to tell me hello, but not to wish me a happy birth day, instead to recount the laps around the sun I have made. (I really do like those.... I just would love to hear happy birthday just once though!)

-jtam

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi jtam, welcome to the board.

When I was a kid, Jehovah's Terrorist (Dad) always finished off the wine and bread after the memorial. I couldn't quite understand why it was ok, but I wasn't going to argue, as we got some too.

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Lol, this is always something that i have also wondered. Another thing that i have always wondered is how do they know which wine to actually buy? Surely if it is representing Christ's blood it should be of the expensive class but perhaps some congregations go for the cheaper option. Hmm..... as for the drinking and eating of the bread and wine after i have no clue because after memorials my time is spent rushing off to the car and preventing people from blocking us in. Grr... thats really gets to me!

Lol, xLaurax

• blondie
    blondie

Bikerchic

Every year after the memorial the PO of our congregation had a gathering at his house and brought the left over wine and crackers. Heck he bought them every year so guess he could take them home, lol.

It was always quite the party and a big deal if you were one of the chosen many who were invited to the bash afterward. Catch was if you had the early memorial you had to bring a covered dish and it was basically dinner there too. If you had the late memorial and showed up it was slim pickings!

I always wondered why none of the anointed brothers and sisters were invited to the bash afterwords?

Probably because they had already had the bread and the wine. This is pretty bizarre though. In our area people were counseled at the Service meeting before the Memorial, not to be having parties before or afterwards. As far as I know, only a few went out to eat afterwards, small groups. Pretty straight-laced around here. The crackers are tasteless and many JWs wouldn't know a good wine to save themselves.

Blondie

• anaperfection
    anaperfection

my uncle is an elder and my cousins eat them all of the time after the memorial, because (according to my uncle) they no longer had any power. . .what "power"?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Because my mother is "anointed" and a family friend is "anointed" I was privy to eating the crackers after the memorial. I would get them and walk around with the other kids asking me to pieces.

For some odd reason everyone wanted to eat the nasty cracker-bread but a the same time they never even tried to make their own. Sure, they thought its "power" was somehow gone after the meeting was over, but they still saw it as "special".

• jaredg
    jaredg

wow i never knew of any of this. growing up my grandmother made the bread and brought the wine. after the memorial we would get together as a family and pour the wine on the ground outside. i don't know what happened to the bread. i remember trying it one time but it was nasty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit