eating the emblems AFTER memorial...

by AuSet 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"In my opinion it's OK to finish the bottle of wine at home, but not to drink the wine in the glasses that were passed around."

Well, of course not! Think of the back-wash! euuuwww

Seriously though, as a kid, I seem to remember the elders (although they weren't called 'elders' when I wuz a kid) taking the crackers and 'disposing' of them afterwards. I am a little foggy on the disposition of the wine, though.

As to whether it's right or wrong... that all depends on whether you still believe. *shrug*

(Of the 'It doesn't matter to me anymore' - class)

Regards,

Jim TX

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    My Dad was an elder, so we would take the wine home all the time, and yes we always drank that night!! It was good...

Same here !

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Drank the cheap wine and at the crackers in the 2nd School after the Memborial once. It was nasty !

Most of the other elders had left so the remaining three of us packed up all those cheary crappy metallic fold up nasty JW chairs...what started it all was the smell of the booze . Istnt it funny how booze can smell so good inside the hall !

Gave me acid reflux !

At first I thought it may be the Grim Reaper at the door....then I turned the bottle over and saw the discount sticker...it wasn't the Grim Reaper after all just those cheapy JW's . I think I actually saw a toe nail at the bottom of the bottle. Probably from some peasant winery in Bosnia .Definitely a JW WMD secret potion.

Nadsam

[email protected]

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The year that I took it. I had bought the stuff so we took it home afterwards .

Red wine, matzo' s and cheese went down well as a late supper .

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This is why I think the memorial is such a silly gathering.

DY - Looking forward to the day in which I'll never have to step inside another KH or assembly hall ever!

• toreador
    toreador

I had always wondered where the wine went. I thought maybe someone ended up drinking it.

Tor

• Quotes
    Quotes

I have one distinct memory of the wine glass contents, plus the entire bottle, being unceremoniously dumped down the sink in the men's bathroom.

Not a very nice way to treat Christ's blood!

• bebu
    bebu

An interesting question; I never thought about what the implications for JWs were, when no one partakes.

BTW... In the Catholic church (which I used to attend) people would dip bread into a cup of wine (held by servers) if they wished. There usually isn't a lot of wine poured. Anyway, at the end of the service the priest would drink what remained at the end of communion, and if there was a lot left over and other deacons or priests were there, I believe they'd share it; so it is never dumped. This happens every week because Catholics celebrate communion as the focal point of every mass.

In the protestant churches, either wine or grape juice is served... I think each church handles it differently. But then, unlike the Catholic church, they do not view the wine as the ACTUAL transubstantiated blood, and the bread as Christ's ACTUAL transubstantiated body, so it isn't the same kind of careful solution the Catholics need to have.

bebu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My, I nearly forgot that!! I barely recall, when I must've been 9 or 10 years old, the elders were passing out the unleavened bread after the Memorial and gave me a piece. I recall being really confused, it was verbotten to eat it during the service, it was so sacred, and just minutes later they were giving it away and tossing out the leftovers. It felt so.... wrong, so very wrong, to eat that bread....

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it, but they let the little kids devour the bread after the memorial every year until the org put a stop to it. It tasted nasty, but we all thought it was neat ... being kids and all. My mom made the bread every other year ... alternating with another sister in the hall.

My dad an was elder and sometimes had to buy the wine. One time I remember my parents talking after the memorial one year ... the elder who had bought the wine had gotten the wrong kind. They said the wine wasn't supposed to sweet ... anybody know anything about the rules of the wine? I was too little to remember if anyone partook or any of the details ... am curious as to how/when they figured it out!

As to what they do with the wine after the memorial ... the year I remember my parents having to buy it ... they tried to drink it after we got home but ended up pouring it down the drain because it was so bitter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit