Preaching Help

by bimp5 15 Replies latest jw friends

• bimp5
    bimp5

I get nervous or shy sometimes when the opportunity to speak about Jehovah and his organization arises. Any tips or suggestions?

• Valis
    Valis

um...taking time off from the naval base?

• Puternut
    Puternut

Nothing a bowl of weed and three shots of Tequilla won't fix.

• Celia
    Celia

You took a wrong turn somewhere, I'm afraid, young fellow....

Jehovah and his organization ....................

God has an organization ?

But welcome to the board anyway. Tell us more about yourself.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Hello and welcome.

Devon

• amicus
    amicus

Yep, I'll give you a tip....if your initial impression is hesitation then you should refrain from doing it. Discover why you feel hesitant and then go from there.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Bimp5 - and welcome.

I note from your question that you did not realize this forum was visited mostly by x-JW's. However, I can relate to your question. When I was a witness I was regular in service, even aux. pioneered as often as I could - but I never felt comfortable "witnessing" - and I NEVER did informal witnessing. I loved Jehovah - I really did - but I felt a combination of embarassment, and fear that when I was "witnessing" someone would ask me a question I couldn't answer and I would let God down.

I was DF'd a long time ago (14 yrs), and long story short, became born again a couple of years back. I now find that I witness quite often - informally, but it comes very natural now. I don't really intend to witness - it just comes out. I'm not afraid that someone will ask me a tough question - in fact, I welcome that. It's the tough questions that make you think and make you really dig in and search.

The difference between my witnessing all those years ago, and my witnessing now is simply that it now comes from God and not me. I don't do it because I'm "supposed" to - I do it because I'm really excited about what I have found, it has made my life very full and happy, and I want to share it with others. If they are interested, great - if they're not, ok - subject dropped. There's no push to keep track of time, or to convert anyone. It's just who I am now - like sharing a great tip on the stock market or a secret about an upcoming movie.

Amicus gave you some good advice. It's time to do some deep self discovery - you are doing something for all the wrong reasons. You're not bad - just human. It's time to look at your situation objectively and then ask God to give you some insight.

• Huxley
    Huxley

Welcome Bimp5,

I used to feel that way too, sorta guilty for not witnessing to someone when I could have. I think deep down I didn't believe it so it felt dishonest to sell it to someone else. Maybe you are feeling the same way?

Huxley

• Carmel
    Carmel

Sorry Dawn but it comes from YOU!

Gawd!

carmel

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I had the same problem you do. I had finally figured out what was wrong with me - I had no desire to be a salesman! I'm a problem solver, not a conversationalist. Leave tracts in the garbage can, and mark them as placements.

LOL @ Puternut!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit