George Bush's Vietnam

by WhyNow2000 35 Replies latest social current

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Anything Teddy says needs to be read along with an up to the minute breathalyzer result, and then ignored.

That anyone would looke to his words to make an argument for anything is an sign of pathetic desperation.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Farkel
    Farkel
    In Vietnam, most of the populace wanted us out of there. In Iraq, most of the populace wants us to STAY and fix their country.

: where did you get that information from?

In every poll I've seen among Iraqs, the majority polled wanted us there to help Iraq set up a government of free people.

Vietnam had suffered under thirty years of war and foreign occupation before we got there. They had no stomach to help us win their very own war with the North. If they had, we'd have won the war. There were far more Viet Cong than there are estimated Iraqi insurgents. If they had wanted us there, they would have jumped in with us to finish the fight and ensure their freedom. They didn't.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

: The comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq do not (yet) involve the length of our time there or the count of bodies (too many) we've brought home or sent to hell.

Exactly. Then why are the liberals and Kerry making them?

Farkel

• Realist
    Realist

Farkel,

i have heard the opposite...but i guess its hard to assess the true opinion of the people there.

this is from ABC news:

U.S.-led invasion:AllArabsKurds
    Was right48% 40% 87%
    Was wrong39 46 9
    Liberated Iraq42% 33% 82%
    Humiliated Iraq41 48 11
    Presence of coalition forces:
    Support39% 30% 82%
    Oppose51 60 12
    Attacks on coalition forces:
    Acceptable17% 21% 2%
    Unacceptable78 74 96
  • Farkel
    Farkel

realist,

: this is from ABC news:

Consider the source! In comparing the polls taken by CNN and Fox, I constantly find the polls pointing in opposite directions. Frankly, neither you nor I should put much stake in them as they are probably both unreliable.

On the otherhand, I've seen many interviews with soldiers on the ground there who say that most Iraqis are cheering them on and are glad they are there. Reporters are loving their newly found freedom of speech. It goes against my gut to think that more than 50% of 25 million people are not happy they have these freedoms and want to live under religious totalitarianism. Such a view is against the very human nature we all share.

But that's just my gut feeling. No one will know if we are doing the right thing until this who thing plays itself out. And that includes me.

Farkel

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

You can believe anything you want and polls can come up with what ever conclusion they want you to believe depending on how the questions are asked. Of course the majority of Iraqi's when ask will not tell the truth when they have an occupying military force in their back yard. It would be the same if they were asked if they approved of Saddam when he was in power. I agree with Edward Kennedy's referring this occupation to George Bush's Vietnam in that the US is stuck in a quagmire, with no exit strategy and is now in there for the long run. The only reason why the Bush administration is keeping the June deadline for hand over of power is for political reasons.

Will

• Farkel
    Farkel

William P,

: The only reason why the Bush administration is keeping the June deadline for hand over of power is for political reasons.

You state your opinion as if it were FACT. Can you prove your assertion? No. It does your side no good to make up statements like this and then present them as reality. Just because all the liberal media do the same thing, is no excuse.

Farkel

• Realist
    Realist

farkel,

i agree that the media is not neutral in most cases.

i also agree that many people do not want to live under a religous regime (at least not here in the west...the arab mind setting is different)...but hussein has no religous regime. the possibility for the religous nuts came only due to the US occupation.

On the otherhand, I've seen many interviews with soldiers on the ground

interviews with soldiers are certainly not a reliable source of information for two reasons...firstly, most people who volunteer for the army are blinded by their belief in the rightousness of the US (see yeru). they would not realize how hated they are unless they get shot....and secondly even if soldiers would openly report their feelings the media supporting bush (FOX et al) would not broadcast a critical interview.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Exactly. Then why are the liberals and Kerry making them?

I expect a certain intellectual honesty if nothing else out of you. The comparisons are made because they are uncanny. If you don't see how they are uncanny, put on a fresh pair of unfiltered glasses.

And Farkel, the media is far from liberal. If you don't know that, you really aren't walking around with your eyes open.

No one will know if we are doing the right thing until this who thing plays itself out.

No. We know it is wrong, because the reasons for it were wrong and misleading. Go to war to liberate and democratise all you want, but you ************ better be honest about it. If you aren't, you have no defense when criticised for killing people.

Democracy is not something force on people, it's not something you bang someone over the head with and they accept with a "thank you, why didn't I think of that?" when they wake up. It is by definition of-the-people. The people of Iraq were NOT clamoring for a U.S. invasion, and they were not clamoring for democracy. And frankly, America does not have the resources to give it to them; not 180 billion dollars, not 1000's of lives, not thousands of limbs, and perhaps most importantly, not the good will to piss away in the attempt.

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Well, all I see is that President Bush and his Administration diverted our military and our resources to invade a country that had nothing to do with 9/11. Ironically, because of this President Bush has probably created more terrorists than Osama could ever hope for.

The Republicans had Clinton impeached for far less serious damage to our country. I would be for the impeachment of President Bush if it turns out that Iraq was just his way of blowing off some steam because of his father and whatever other cowboy intentions he may have had not excluding commercial interests. And no, I not consider the label of "cowboy" for our President a positive one, as I understand some Americans do.

Also, I must say this and I don't mean to offend anyone here but I feel it must be said. To all those who feel the Iraq war is a good thing, that it was right and it is fighting terrorism. Are you encouraging your sons and daughters to sign up and go fight? If you could, would you yourself volunteer and go fight in Fallujah? If you do, don't forget to go buy yourself some body armor etc. because those boys and girls fighting your war may not have enough going around to share with you.

Sabrina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit