George Bush's Vietnam

by WhyNow2000 35 Replies latest social current

• Badger
    Badger

Farkel:

Right on about Ted, the Strom Thrumond of the left....

but We've lost 641 in Iraq...not counting those dead after recivieing treatment.

• Realist
    Realist

farkel,

In Vietnam, most of the populace wanted us out of there. In Iraq, most of the populace wants us to STAY and fix their country.

where did you get that information from?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    In Iraq, most of the populace wants us to STAY and fix their country.

Too bad for them that we aren't going to be able to do that, having effed up so badly to begin with.

America simply does not have the resources to occupy (succesfully), pacify, or democratize Iraq. There might have been other ways to do it, but those options are long since pissed away.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think Farkel's just angry because Ted Kennedy doesn't represent aggie values:

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Kennedy is a lying asshole and his argument is a strawman. We were in Vietnam for a decade and we lost 56,000+ people. We've been in Iraq for a year and we've lost 500 people. Moreover, the opposition is nothing like it was in Vietnam. In Vietnam, most of the populace wanted us out of there. In Iraq, most of the populace wants us to STAY and fix their country.

Now who is arguing strawmen? The comparisons between Vietnam and Iraq do not (yet) involve the length of our time there or the count of bodies (too many) we've brought home or sent to hell. Very valid comparisons were being made well before combat even started, although it's looking more like the bastard child spawned from a drunken orgy involving Vietnam, Lebanon, Palastine, and Mogadishu right now.

• painterguy
    painterguy

I think Kennedy hit the nail right on the head.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    where did you get that information from?

I wouldn't pretend to know where Farkel got it from and using generalities can weaken arguments, however, my own first-hand knowledge of the Vietnamese people leads me to conclude they did indeed want the invader out, no matter where he came from. I'm happy to find though that the Vietnamese people bear no illwill to both Ameriacans and Australians whose nations fought against Vietnamese in the "American War".

Ozzie

• Realist
    Realist

ozzi,

my question concerned the idea that the majority of iraqis want the US to be there...i find that a little hard to believe.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes Realist, I too find it hard to believe!

• roybatty
    roybatty

And because of the efforts of people like Jane Fonda and John Kerry, the people of Vietman, unlike the people of South Korea, were better off....oh wait a minute.....DOE!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit