Do you ever find yourself singing old kingdom songs?

by MicStroz 25 Replies latest jw friends

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

It's been over 12 years and every once in a while I

catch myself sing kingdom songs.......Only religious

songs I've ever knew. Anyone else have this happen

to them?

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Yeah Mic I have, but I try not to! I change my toon real quick!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Not really. I've never been a dub, but I went to the Memorial for the first time a few days ago with my JW friend. Sorry folks, but of the three songs that were sung, not one carried a melody...truly unmemorable. Give me the old standard bible-thumping hymns, give me Christmas carols, give me anything with a melody, PLEASE. (now I know what you ex-jws were talking about .

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Damn, it's like the unholy tentacles of their crappy songs have wrapped around my brain, and are feeding off it despite my efforts to free myself!

I never liked the songs, took a few severe beatings as a child for not singing them loudly enough, and yet they pop into the radio station of my mind at the worst moments. As I'm working, I sometimes find myself humming "The Shulamite Maiden" or "Let's Watch How We Walk" and I have to go play some Pet Shop Boys to exorcise it.

Pray for me, y'all.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Pray for me, y'all.

May the radio station of thy mind become unpluged. AMEN. (hope this helps)

• MicStroz
    MicStroz
    took a few severe beatings as a child for not singing them loudly enough

When the records came out...this is the old song book.

My whole family stood in the basement and HAD to sing.

Dad was there with a belt over his shoulder and if you didn't

sing, you got to feel the belts sting.

Always wondered growing up how christ like that was.

Had them songs beaten into me.

• blondie
    blondie

Occasionally, I hear a 7 to 8 note segment from a non-JW song that sounds like one. But most of the songs were so weak musically, there is not much to remember. Tunes aren't so bad, it's those awful lyrics. Interestingly, I went to a funeral this year at a church and I sang their songs (you know the ones, How Great Thou Art and Amazing Grace) but I flipped through the hymnal and found about 7 songs with Jehovah/Yahweh in the title/lyrics. Many of the titles were familiar since they are all based on scriptures. I couldn't find much that was objectionable doctrinally for a JW. Hmmmmm, another fib by the WTS, eh?

Blondie

• Huxley
    Huxley

Even though I grew up on those lame ass kingdom melodies, I don't get them stuck in my head too often.

I'm not churchy, but old religious bluegrass songs can really stick in my brain.

"Gimme that ol time religion gimme that ol time religion..." AAhhhh! it's happening again... Damn you Bill Monroe!

Huxley

(searching for the Bill Monroe cd...)

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Double.....They sing just 2 songs at the memorial, Song 87 The Lords evening meal and one at the end....not 3, not ever. What Mmeorial and where did you go?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Yes ... even after 12 years out of the Borg.

"Men make gods of wood and stone, but the true God they've not known, he is God almighty, as he's often shown, .... We're Jehovah's Witnesses, we speak out in fearlessness. Ours is the God of true prophecy. What he foretells comes to be."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit