Movies and TV Shows You Didn't Watch Because You Were A JW

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Not a movie, but does anyone emember the Awake/or WT article on the evils of "Charlotte's Web?" Came out around '81- .83. The intro was about a little girl who was so moved by the book and love for the characters, that she kissed the book. The JW spin? Be careful of fictional books. Kids can become emotionally attached to fictitious characters. Not healthy. A cautionary word to parents to restrict their children's non JW reading material. I know of no other religion who can make Charlotte's Web out to be detrimental to

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Geeze...sorry for the triple post. Again...my keyboard is playing tricks. I have no idea how it posted 3 times. Must be demonized.

• glitter
    glitter

*Charlotte's Web*?! What the hell can possibly be wrong with Charlotte's Web?! God what a bunch of control freak nutters.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

When I was a young kid ... Smurfs. :(

When I was a young adult ... Friends. At a circuit assembly the speaker was talking about the "dangers of television" and said that Friends should be renamed Fornicators. Snicker ... snort!

Yeah ... it was a real knee slapper.

Guess you had to be there.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

My Father forbade me from watching Zoom and electric company which were Sesame Street knock-offs with an edge. He felt they were to "worldly" What a fool!

And of course The Exorcist!

• gumby
    gumby

I remember we weren't supposed to watch casper the friendly ghost, or Bewitched.....but we did anyway. I remember we weren't supposed to watch the exorcist too. I still haven't and I still don't plan to. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit no! I'm afeared to.

Gumby

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Growing up, I was allowed to watch I dream of Jeannie, but not Bewitched-this is sooo funny to me as there are a lot of the same posts about these 2 shows! Was not allowed to go on a field trip in school to see "Fantasia", or several of the other "Demonistic" Disney movies-How dare Walt make such evil and vile twisted films-LOL!!! Of course no rated "R" movies were allowed-but whenever the original Dracula or Frankenstein movies would come on late at night, my Mother and I would stay up and watch them, a lot of times the end result being that I got to stay home from school-that was the best part!!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

already mentioned:

I dream of Jeannie; Bewitched ; Dark Shadows ( I watched them all anyway). My parents were more reasonable than most and could not see the harm.

Interesting aside:

One of the Elders in the congregation ( friends of my parents) was a TV soap opera producer; He produced "As the World Turns" in New York. There was always some kind of sexuality on that show. This elder and his wife had many worldy TV connected friends. They would always share the stories of the actors real lives and movie backstage gossip with us. One of the sisters in the congregation complained about his involvement with such a show. He argued that it was his job and he did not write the material. He maintained his Eldership.

• desib77
    desib77

I was under pretty much the same rules as everyone else, no Bewitched, Smurfs......and so on....

I know this is music but the one thing that I remember most about my childhood is that my mother wouldn't let me participate in a school play where they sang Yellow Polkadot Bikini......She let me be in the play but I had to be on the side of the bleachers so that I could walk off stage when that song came up....It was "inappropriate"....geez!

Desi

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    He argued that it was his job and he did not write the material. He maintained his Eldership

Amazing ... I remember my dad's cousin was pressured to quit her job, and finally did. She was a cigar roller.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit