Movies and TV Shows You Didn't Watch Because You Were A JW

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I used to love watching SNL. I can recall a couple of conversations on Sunday mornings with others my age ("Did you see what Joe Piscapo did last night!? It was hilarious!!"). I don't recall hearing any prohibitions about that show. What I DO remember at that general time was a lot of guff from the microphone about disco & sinful dancing.

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

My H and I are both FREAKS about Lord of the Rings, but he doesn't want our son to have anything to do with Harry Potter!?! I don't get it!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I was not a JW as a kid, but the restrictions came after I got married! The whole time we were married, I was not allowed to watch anything but PG and G. I missed so many good movies because they were PG-13, like Awakenings. When I found out that my pioneer sister had seen it and recommended it, I was so mad! And when I finally saw it, it was great, so why my husband wouldn't allow it I don't know except he was a very fearful, rigid person.

But he had no qualms about watching the violent shoot-em-up Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson movies and all the Star Wars and Rocky movies - violence did not bother him.

His 2nd wife made him get rid of a very "offensive" movie that he and the kids loved, "So I Married An Axe Murderer" which is a hilarious comedy, but which has immorality alluded to though never shown. This immoral lifestyle offended her, but she was the first one to go into The Sex Shoppe for a big bag of toys....

My sister annoyed me too, when she stayed with me and the kids once after the divorce, because she was "so disturbed" by the fact that I had the cartoon movie "All Dogs Go to Heaven" !!!!!!!!!!! (Which, by the way, is an incredibly well-done movie. Genius how they captured the actual body language and movements of dogs.)

Oh well! I threw away the Disney movie "Aladdin" because it bothered me too....

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I used to love watching SNL. I can recall a couple of conversations on Sunday mornings with others my age ("Did you see what Joe Piscapo did last night!? It was hilarious!!"). I don't recall hearing any prohibitions about that show. What I DO remember at that general time was a lot of guff from the microphone about disco & sinful dancing. My bad. I was thinking about Saturday Night Fever. There was threat that anyone who saw it would be reproved. f (of course, I had to go see it). That fits in with the disco/sinful dancing bit. The W/T and AW went into quite a bit of graphic detail about the sexual nature of the beat...pound, pound, pound. Okay...someone's sexually repressed..

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I was not a JW as a kid, but the restrictions came after I got married! The whole time we were married, I was not allowed to watch anything but PG and G.

Okay, flashbacks as to WHY I never could marry a witness man. You were not "allowed" to watch these movies? Like you were a child. Stomach's turning...

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I know, Black Sheep, I know! LOL I couldn't wait to get away from him - and it took me 14 years to do it!

You can be sure I watched a LOT of movies the first few years after leaving him!

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I cant believe my husband never watched the ten comandments

From what i was told lately bewitched and jeanie are still off limits

ghost is my all time favorite love story but is off limits so i was told

• marie67
    marie67

Just remembered another one The Love( Fornication) Boat!!!

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Not a movie, but does anyone emember the Awake/or WT article on the evils of "Charlotte's Web?" Came out around '81- .83. The intro was about a little girl who was so moved by the book and love for the characters, that she kissed the book. The JW spin? Be careful of fictional books. Kids can become emotionally attached to fictitious characters. Not healthy. A cautionary word to parents to restrict their children's non JW reading material. I know of no other religion who can make Charlotte's Web out to be detr

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Not a movie, but does anyone emember the Awake/or WT article on the evils of "Charlotte's Web?" Came out around '81- .83. The intro was about a little girl who was so moved by the book and love for the characters, that she kissed the book. The JW spin? Be careful of fictional books. Kids can become emotionally attached to fictitious characters. Not healthy. A cautionary word to parents to restrict their children's non JW reading material. I know of no other religion who can make Charlotte's Web out to be detrimental

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit