Movies and TV Shows You Didn't Watch Because You Were A JW

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

This week I mentioned how I never saw the movie "GHOST" because it was considered "demonistic". I also volunteered that that I could not watch "BEWITCHED", although "I DREAM OF JEANNIE" was a conscience matter......Any thing you didn't watch because you were a Witness?

• blondie
    blondie

I watched everything because my father wasn't a JW and he outvoted my mother. I don't think he wanted to watch alone so he "ordered" us to watch. For once, we didn't mind obeying.

JWs are so funny; they said Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie were bad but went to every Disney release including Snow White (witch, magic, dwarves); Cinderella (fairy godmother, magic); Sleeping Beauty (witch, dragon, magic).

Blondie

• Gopher
    Gopher

That "Bewitched" vs. "I Dream of Jeannie" deal always seemed weird. "I Dream of Jeannie" was okay in our house too, but not Bewitched.

I guess it's because the Bible frowns on witches, but not genies?

Or maybe Barbara Eden was more wholesome than Elizabeth Montgomery?

Additionally, all rated "R" (no one under 17 admitted) movies were verboten. After all, if they're not wholesome enough for children, then they must not be suitable for all Christians, eh? But PG-13 movies (close to "R") were okay -- it even said so in the Awake (the official rule-setting magazine of true Christians).

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

All R and Pg 13 rated movie.

Freinds was one show I didnt watch then.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Bewitched was definitely off limits when I was a little kid. Ditto for Dark Shadows.

And all of the post-apocalyptic movies of the 60s & 70s ... Planet of the Apes, Omega Man, etc ... were passed off as a waste of time and a poor entertainment choice because "Jehovah would never allow such things to happen to the earth."

• blondie
    blondie

I heard one JW say "I just wait until they are on cable. They're edited." As if they made them acceptable to the WTS. I have heard JWs say when buying videotapes/DVDs of R-rate movies, "I fast forward through the bad parts." How do they know what the bad parts are?

I go to movies/watch tv shows because I like the story line, think the director is good, like the actors, can afford to that week.

Blondie

• glitter
    glitter

Saturday morning TV (obviously wasn't home), Sunday morning TV (if the meeting was on Sunday mornings)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    ET
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Eastenders (comes on during meeting hours - coincidence?;)
    The X-Files (never missed an episode, I was sneaky)
    Neighbours
    Anything that poked fun at JWs (though "at least they're making Jehovah's name known", it was just too embarrassing)
    Gladiators
    Anything with magic, ghosts or cavemen in it (except the Flintstones for some reason).
    The Snowman - well I was allowed, but I couldn't watch the bit with Father Christmas or the Christmas party. I had a Snowman jigsaw and a JW boy (we were about 4 years old) who was playing at my house said he wasn't allowed to do the jigsaw because it was "from Satan" (not santa... :)).

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Married with Children
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Thundercats
    Transformers
    He-man
    The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

• maxwell
    maxwell

I was also under the "Bewitched" is bad, "I Dream of Jeanie" is ok rule at home. Now that I think back, I don't see any consistent logic in the rule making either.

I really have no interest in "Bewitched" or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Angel" type shows now. However one show that I do watch now occasionally is the X-files. That one was off limits before also.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I'm lost ... what was the reasoning behind "No X-Files"?

I didn't watch the show often, but are extra-terrestrials evil?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit