Question for those who chose to be JW

by pc 21 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I was wondering what made you join

Adolescence and early adulthood were painful, difficult years for me, nobody and I mean nobody who knew me then would have refered to me as being "well-adjusted". JW's gave me a sense of belonging and security that I desperately wanted and in truth I was less neurotic as a JW than I was before I joined or am now.

Even though I was 22 at the time, I really was a child, not a critical thinker or mature person at all, just a confused, lonely individual in need of structure and black and white answers. And I don't claim to be the most mature 30 something now either. I have a very difficult time accepting the cold realities of life in this world, the first and foremost cold reality being my own mortality. I craved certainty. I still do, but I know it's not there, which is driving me in two directions - growth on one hand and despair on the other. Despair is winning a lot of the time lately.

I was so ripe for JWism that it seems inevitable that I fell into it, I was the quintessential cult recruit. One of the things that I try to get across to people on this board is that yes, JW families can be very weird and growing up JW sucks but JW's don't have these markets cornered by any stretch.

• Sabine
    Sabine

My husband is 3rd generation, I was sucked in at 8 years old by the petting lions/tigers/bears pictures, I came from an extremely disfunctional family, and I had already seen the ugly side of people, especially racists, so the big love every nation/brotherhood talk was appealing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit