Question for those who chose to be JW

by pc 21 Replies latest jw friends

• pc
    pc

I was born into the borg, I was wondering what made you join. My mother who is now deceased use to say she did all this research. My brother keeps stating that as this great fact to me. I say "WHAT THE HELL DID SHE READ"? Would love your own experience. PC

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

3rd generation. Had no choice. DARN!!!

DY

• Sirona
    Sirona

I was 13, just moved house, no friends. Just went along.....next minute I was baptised (15). My family joined too.

Sirona

• aunthill
    aunthill

I grew up in southern Nevada when nuclear bombs were being tested above ground, so I saw the mushroom clouds. At that time they were also teaching us to "duck and cover" in school. That is, duck under your desk and cover your head, when you hear the siren go off (as if that would really give you any protection.) So I was sure that the world was going to end in a nuclear holocaust.

Therefore, when JW's came to my door and explained that Jehovah wouln't let the earth be destroyed, I was putty in their hands. Plus, I had no idea what one would do in heaven, sit on a cloud and play a harp? Sounds BORING to me. It all sounded logical and good. Too late I discovered the down side, and tried to hang in for 25 years before giving up.

Now I'm out 'n' free - Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, I'm free at last! Thanks to the Lord Jesus.

Aunthill

• kibizzle
    kibizzle

My h was raised JW and he is soooo wonderful, I figured it was because of his religion. I began studying (only wt material) and found no flaws.

Only when I was smack dab in the middle of it I began cross referencing some things (something a true JW wouldn't consider) and found that the few doubts I had were for good reason.

The bottom line is no one in the borg who WANTS to believe "the truth" is going to research anything outside of the WTS, and if they do they will deny it, say it is a lie from satan, etc etc etc. My family hounds me about "exactly" why I left.

Any evidence I show them is rebutted with a reference to a WT article. They use the bible in some instances, but the very things they try to justify, I can show them scriptures to the contrary.

Basically I don't care to ever see a WT or ASLEEP ever again in my life, and my family, that's ALL they will look at. Kibi

• franklin J
    franklin J

parents converted when I was an infant. I just went with the flow and was molded ( dad was an elder) into the pioneering way of life and Ministerial servant. Both of my sisters were also pioneers and their husbands elders. I was forced to question myself and my direction as I got older and wanted to attend college to study a profession. Left in my early 20s; never looked back, NO REGRETS WHATSEVER

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

My mother is the one who chose to become a JW (when I was 5 yrs old), and I'll give you the situation as I see it. My mother had a childhood of sexual and physical abuse. She was divorced once from a man who physically abused her, was an alcoholic, and an adulteror. She was in her second marriage with an alcoholic. My mother had threatened to leave him on one occasion. The JWs came to her door, and showed her how all of this would be non-existant in the shortly-to-come Paradise Erf. She bought it, and continues to believe this wicked world is soon to end. Unfortunately, it has never occurred to her that SHE had a problem rather than the rest of the world. It has never occurred to her that there may be a reason she was drawn to alcoholics.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

The story always was and I remember when I was a little girl, that my mom would take the bus into the city to go to the library to do research as my dad had been studying and pressuring her - under threat of divorce, I recently learned from a relative, if she didn't convert - this was in the early 60's so the research would have been more difficult at that time to find stuff directly related to JW's in many books - she checked things in the encyclopedias apparently, mostly on the holidays to see if the origins were as my dad was saying - at some point she did make that change and was baptized in a horse trough. The rest is history...................

• True North
    True North

When I was young, inexperienced, and at a particularly vulnerable point in my life, I got deeply involved with a JW girl who was temporarily straying from the flock. When she decided to head back in, I followed along like a lamb to the slaughter.

• 4JWY
    4JWY

P.S. BTW - greatest mom ever tho!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit