Question for those who chose to be JW

by pc 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Suckled at the breast of the "FDS" with the sour milk of hypocracy! Challenged the illogicality of conflicting ideas as adumbrated by the writing department only to be castigated for irritating the cong. servant. Walked away at 14, DF'd in absentia at 15, never looked back.

carmel

• rekless
    rekless

I was much like your mother. I thought I was researching everything until 35 years later I realized that research meant going out side of tyour spectrum. I did, I opened up my son's world history book and found the date 587 bce instead of 607 bce. THen I visited the Jewish history site, every historical sit and everything pointed to the 587 date +/- 1-3 years. I then read about the Malawi vs.Mexico situation. Told my wife and I never went back. My wife passed away, one of my daughters shunns me and all my boys are martial art champions. I have started writing a book about my 35 years of being stupid.

• Corvin
    Corvin
    My brother keeps stating that as this great fact to me. I say "WHAT THE HELL DID SHE READ"?

I remember how I would tell some people how I also researched things out of the Catholic Encyclopaedia, lexicons, and other sources (since the wt often cited some of those sources in their articles). Man, the looks I got.

Corvin

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

I was batized at 25yo. I was a catholic before. What make me change? well... the WT does have its good points, firstly it does expose the lies of the other religions, e.g. Trinity, Hell fire, Eternal Soul, but then only replaces them with other lies, which by the way the WTS does a better job of hiding them from the R&F then the catholics have done. The lies of the WTS are things like. Jesus coming in 1914, and them being the FDS, and of course all the mind control that they claim is Bible based.

I beleive that most people like me get batized because they are happy to hear the truths that the WTS tell you about the bible at the begining, but they push batiztism. They convince you that all others are telling you lies and not to listen to those who disagree with them. Of course once your batized its all done under the threat of disfellowshipping, you've being 'encouraged' to change your friends because they don't love Jehovah and are therefore under Satans' control, thereby giving Disfellowshiping maximum effects. I could go on but i'll leave it up to others now.

regards Rick

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

In my experience, most JW's I knew considered research to consist of reading the Insight volumes, and bound volumes back to the early 1950's. Anything beyond that was considered unneccessary.

For nearly 10 years I was associated with a group of brothers that did go much further in researching the bible, biblical languages, and bible history. Often, most of these brothers stayed within the realm of what I call "safe topics." Such as the trinity, hell-fire and other minor issues. They usually stayed away from touchy subjects, such as GB authority, chronology, history of JW doctrine, and the blood issue. Personally I think the reason for it was because deep down they knew that the WT position was an "un-defendable" one.

My thoughts,

Alf3831

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

I didn't want to come out of the closet, so i joined the ranks... my best friend was one... it sucks, cuz it was my formative period in my life... 17 years old... she tole me "You already have good morals, you just need to know more about the bible.' so I learned... the only 'research' i did was read the research my bible study woman showed me that she'd 'researched'. I didn't know half of it was published by the WTS... bastards.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I have started writing a book about my 35 years of being stupid.

LOL! I'm writing a book about my 25 years trying NOT to be stupid.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Third generation JW. Took almost 40 years to wake up to reality, what ever that is. Still have no idea what "TRUTH" is. I guess I could make my up my own.

Ken P.

• reganashe
    reganashe

My mom said the same thing...........I guess the only thing that she researched was Holidays too. I guess they weren't to worried about everything else back then, but honestly I've seen my mom without the "Troof" and it's not pretty, I guess she is just one of those people that needs someone telling her exactly what to do in her life. I think some people need constant rules to live their life.

I was 2nd generation I had no choice.

• azaria
    azaria
    My mother who is now deceased use to say she did all this research.
    I thought I was researching everything until 35 years later I realized that research meant going out side of tyour spectrum.
    In my experience, most JW's I knew considered research to consist of reading the Insight volumes, and bound volumes back to the early 1950's. Anything beyond that was considered unneccessary.
    the only 'research' i did was read the research my bible study woman showed me that she'd 'researched'. I didn't know half of it was published by the WTS.
    I guess the only thing that she researched was Holidays too.

These comments caught my eye because my brother and I talked about that very thing last night. My brother commented that our parents had done a lot of research when they first joined. Wondered what kind of research they did, but figured that it had to be strictly JW research, that put the org in a good light and was critical of Christianity. From these posts I realize that we were right. My mother was agnostic when the witnesses came to her door, so she had nothing to compare this org to. She was an extremely needy person. My dad and her hated each other, I had moved out, she still had two young boys at home. Knowing my mother it doesn't surprise me that she became tangled in this org. Here are people coming to her door promising her a better life in the future, paying attention to her. What I don't quite understand is why, if she has the truth and a wonderful future in Paradise, is she so miserable, so negative. This org gives her no joy, no peace.

I guess she is just one of those people that needs someone telling her exactly what to do in her life. I think some people need constant rules to live their life.

Sadly this my mother also. She can’t think or make a decision on her own. An elder has to be consulted. I bought her a KJV large print bible today hoping that she might read it. I’m quite sure that she will ask an elder if he approves of her reading it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit