New forum: one month progress report

by Simon 26 Replies latest forum announcements

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Simon, do we really have to download something to receive private messages?

Of course not.

Being technology-challenged , I now realize that I actually had an ad at the top of the page to see my PMs that said "View New Messages"...... duh!  I almost fell for it.

(It's an old dog, new tricks thing.)

Doc

• Simon
    Simon
    My inbox is still showing 2 unread messages when all are read.  (same since first day of update, unsure if everybody is showing wrong number still or not).

You may want to press the button on the inbox page to mark all messages as read ...

I actually had an ad at the top of the page to see my PMs that said "View New Messages"...... duh!  I almost fell for it

You can always tell the ads - they have the little |> symbol in the top right.

The other easy way to tell is to ask yourself "would simon have put that much effort into a fancy graphical button and a downloaded app just so I can read a message?"

The answer is no. If it looks fancy then it's fake, LOL

I can't foresee ever requiring a download to use the site. The only case would be if I created a native mobile app to read and post with but there would be a separate explanation page for it.

In general, if you are downloading something to install on your machine then you should only be doing it from a specific download page that tells you all about what it is and who has created it etc... If that page isn't from this site then it's nothing to do with us.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thank you for all your hard work, Simon. I have a Samsung tablet and once I figured out that I had to use Chrome in order to post, I was fine.

I also like the brief descriptions of the new posts on the active page. It really lets me home in on what I want to read without the Click, No thanks, Previous page dance on the old forum.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz

Compared to the old one, I feel like I am looking through a small window. I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

After some initial unfamiliarity, I must say the new forum has been a welcome evolution. A few quirky things on the iPad, namely on formatting the post (strikethrough characters don't work, paste function within post window behaves erraticly... ) but overall, a very positive change.

One thing I've noticed about the like/dislike feature: it's possible to "like" the same post multiple times. This sort of defeats its purpose, as it should be one vote per user. Is it a bug or was it meant like that?

thank you for your fantastic work, Simon!

Eden

• Louise
    Louise
    Thank you. This site is SO important and I truly believes saves lives in the very literal sense.
  • Reverend Chip
    Reverend Chip
    It's lovely. Where can I find the story of .com <- .net ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit