New forum: one month progress report

by Simon 26 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Well, we survived the first month at least! Yes, the new forum is now 1 month old.

Of course there have been some issues and I'm grateful that people have been patient while I worked on them. A big thank-you to everyone who's been patient, have provided useful feedback or just been willing to adapt to something new during the transition.

I've also made some improvements along the way and am fairly happy with how things are from a basic functionality and performance perspective so it's time to start looking at some of the new features I've been planning. This roadmap should give you an idea of what things will be coming down the pipe so you know what to expect. Here's what I plan on working on next:

Post count updates
    Fixing final niggling issues such as incorrect user post-counts.

Social sign-up and sign-in
    This will allow you to associate existing Google, Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In etc... accounts with your forum account so you'll be able to use those to sign-in. No more captcha. No more extra password to remember.

Social sharing and linking
    It should be as easy as possible to share interesting topics and posts with others so I'll be adding options to share or tweet directly from the site.

Feedback on like / dislike votes
    These need to be visible to allow people to give unspoken feedback on things.

Watch / marked / favourited topics
    Sometimes you don't have anything to say but want to bookmark a topic to keep informed.

Better optimized mobile experience
    The table / phone viewing is better than it was but still not as great as it could be. I want to optimize the views to make the best used of space on each device especially targeting iPads as they seem to be the largest user segment by far.

Auto quoting and linking between posts
    When you copy and quote from someone's post it should show a little avatar and "Simon said:" label. The original post that is quoted from could also include links to the posts that quote it.

Dashboard of interesting things
    This should become your one-stop dashboard to look at and show you topics that you are likely to be interested in:

• Topics you started
    • Topics you participated in
    • Topics you are watching
    • Topics you will likely be interested in (based on activity / likes etc...)

As always, I welcome any constructive feedback or ideas and suggestions for any ways we can improve the software and make it more useful to the community. It's not the reason the community is here but hopefully any improvements will make it easier for people to take part and provide more ways to communicate through feedback etc... (beyond just 'the words we post').

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Congratulations Simon on the improvements and your diligent hard work,

many are very much appreciative to the new format, including myself  

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98
    Thanks Simon for all your hard work in providing this forum to truly help people! 
  • TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Nice to have the freshen' up. Thanks for the hard work.

-TE

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher
    Thank you I really appreciate the overhaul! But I am a bit lost and haven't been here for a while and now it's all new and improved lol.
  • JuanTheMan
    JuanTheMan

Thank you very much Simon for your hard work! I cannot log in into my old account so I guess I will start using this one!

I need to access my inbox to talk to you to get my old account back!!

• Simon
    Simon
    I am a bit lost and haven't been here for a while

One thing I missed off the list is more "help". I haven't quite decided yet if that would be better as a "take a tour" or set of videos or FAQ / ReadMe or help pop-ups but it is definitely something I want to improve.

And I'll continue working on the more individual issues such as people having problems signing in.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I am very pleased with the changes and just want to say thank you Simon. 

Everything else is a bonus!

• Island Man
    Island Man

hanks for all your hard work Simon!

There is one small issue that I've recently noticed and I'm not sure if anyone else has drawn it to your attention:

Whenever I mouse over a poster's avatar, the yellow banner appears telling you the poster's screen name, how long ago the poster joined and how many posts he made along with an icon to send a message. That's all great.

The problem is that a small, secondary tool tip displaying only the poster's name also appears on top of that yellow banner and often hides the number of posts information in the yellow banner. (see the example image below where the redundant tool tip saying "Crisis of Conscience" obscures the number of posts displayed in the banner.)

I want to suggest that this tool tip feature be eliminated altogether as it provides redundant information already displayed in the yellow banner and serves only as an annoyance when it hides the number of posts info in the yellow banner.

• happy@last
    happy@last
    Thank you Simon, I'm used to it already and much better to use on my phone. Island Man, that'll only appear when you hover over the picture/avatar. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit