13-year old son going to partake tonight

by roybatty 21 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Sorry, not trying to lecture...just bummed about my brother...

Thanks for the kind words blacksheep and billygoat (and eveyone else).

I didn't take it as a lecture at all. I always appreciate advice from others about raising kids. I can't say that I'll always agree but it never hurts to listen. He is a strong minded boy. I don't want to break him from that but I also want him to realize that it's one thing to be strong minded and another being close minded.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It is disappointing when I look back on my relationship with my father. Time goes by so fast and and the things he missed. Didn't make it to any of my games, missed graduation, rarely had time to see his grandkids. Not a bad man, just messed up priorities. It makes me sad. Later in life (just a few years ago) I made it a point to get closer to him. His father was killed in WWII before he was born so I don't think he ever realized how to be a dad. Anyway, him and I along with my son started new traditions. We'd go to the state high school football championships every year, we'd fish together etc. Sadly, just as we started getting close he was killed in an automobile accident. What I regret the most is never having a memory of saying "I love you dad" or hearing "I love you son." Tears me up inside just thinking about it. I think him and I had too much of that macho shit in our vains. Good thing is, my son (and daughter) don't that same wall. Not a day goes by that we don't give each other a hug and say "I love you." What amazes me is that my 13 year old son will do this no matter who's around, even his friends.

When I think about my JW brother and sister and their kids, it saddens my heart. You're right about the cult thing. The JW religion builds walls between family members because this WT "thing" comes before all else. All the things their kids will miss out on, never having the chance to go back and re-do those missed things. They'll never experience their kids birthday party, or seeing them open their first Christmas present. Since JWs don't go to dances, he'll miss bring his daughter(s) to the father/daughter dance. I took my daughter last week to her first one (a 50's theme dance). Jeez, we had a blast. During the last song with my 10 year old daughter, I almost cried. Here we are during the final dance, a slow one, and I'm looking at her thinking "in a few short years she'll be dancing with here new husband at her wedding and I'll no longer be the main man in her life." Choked me up!

Ok, enough sappy stuff! I'm going to go drink a beer and watch basketball or something! lol

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

If he wanted to do it there is no one there that could stop him. Do partake of the emblems is to state that you have a strong and personal relationship with God. Since we ALL have a relationship with God EVERYONE should partake and there is NO MAN that can tell YOU that you don't have a strong relationship with God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit