Why is there a High Rate of Suicide among Jehovahs Witnesses?????

by Aikon 52 Replies latest jw friends

• donkey
    donkey

I do not want to minimize the tragedy of any who have endured these horrible circumstances, but the question was asked: Is there any evidence that the suicide rate is higher among JW's than the general population?

• reboot
    reboot

I think the question was 'Why is there a high rate of suicide among Jehovahs Witness'? and the answers are trying to offer some explaination for that 'fact'...rather than provide stats..

I would have thought that on one hand the incidence would have been lower, due to the society's view that once suicide is comitted there would'nt be any redemption and out offear of displeasing 'him' and being seen as spiritually 'weak'...

but on the other hand, having the added pressures of living to such an unattainable standard, especially if you're a perfectionist, compounded with personnal problems and possibly not being 'allowed' to receive councelling or professional comfort, could drive JW'S to live in turmoil to such an extent that th relief of suicide is worth the loss of their 'eternal life'.

• Mary
    Mary

Some Indicators of Suicide

• Problems sleeping, loss of appetite
    • Isolation and withdrawal, accident proneness
    • Running away from home
    • Dramatic changes in appearance
    • Drug and/or alcohol abuse
    • Agitation and aggression
    • Talk about death; written messages of self-destruction; artwork depicting violence, especially against self
    • Guilt feelings
    • Hopelessness, anxiety, depression, crying spells
    • Giving away personal possessions
    • Shortened attention span
    • Loss of interest in pleasurable activities
    • Self-criticism
    • Sexual promiscuity
    • Sudden drop in school performance, school attendance problems
    • Cult or gang membership
    • Euphoria after depression

I don't know if the suicide rate is any higher amongst Witnesses as opposed to the general population, but the real question is: why are ANY Witnesses committing suicide? Aren't they supposed to be "the happiest people on earth"?? I remember reading one article in the WT or Awake years ago about one brother who committed suicide because he committed fornication. The ONLY reason anyone would commit suicide after committing fornication is if they were made to feel so guilty, so unworthy and so low by others. This is exactly what the religion does.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Great points, Mary. And, as I have pointed out to a few Witnesses, it would be a better place to go if they would quit trumpeting to the world how much better they are than everyone else and just be human. They pull out the "we're all imperfect" card at will to explain misbehavior by elders, so just leave it at that. Just say, "we're sorry sons of bitches and we don't want to change." That would work.

Nina

• acsot
    acsot
    It took many years to realized that even thou I was the mother to my mother, that wasnt my place and I had no real experience in taking care of someone who needed so much help. I had to admit to myself, that I couldnt have held her hand everyday, for fear she would die. I grew up that way and it was just a natural part of my life to take care of her.

Children of alcholics and other addicted parents carry this burden with them for many, many years. My father was an alcoholic and my mother the enabler. I was their emotional parent for years. It certainly does take a long time to understand the dysfunctional family dynamics.

((((((((Lyin))))))))

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

donkey, the truth is, there is no evidence. People just want to believe it.

• free from anxiety
    free from anxiety

From a personal level, I have seen over the years a lot of friends in the "truth" lol commit or attempt to commit suicide, the level of depression is very high due to the extreme pressure & motivation to conform. I understand that this is not just the case in the JW's, however because of the extra pressure, especially while growing up as a witness this can lead to a lot of problems while young or later in life. The amount of people who develop mental health problems such as bipolar disorder & severe depression is extremely high. Along with the high level of guilt feelings felt be many, because they don't feel hey can either live to the very high standards kept or reality kicks in and they want to experience life without the strings attached as it where. The problem is for many ex witnesses like myself, the guilt is still there afterwards, due to many factors, for me this is mainly due to not being able to have family contact anymore. Nothing prepares you for that... So do I believe that Suicide is higher in the witness organization, hell yes.

• beaker
    beaker

very simple really.

since my last post in 2004 i have attempted suicide twice. once by overdose of medication resulting in hospitalisation in intensive care and second time by shooting myself in the heart. survived that one as well after open heart surgery.

why would i do this?

JW teaching says that when you die you go to the grave until you are resurrected and given a second chance but this time under perfect conditions for a thousand years. so if life gets to hard as it did for me going though DF and divorce and bankruptcy then why not use the get out of jail free card.

of course now that i know the REAL truth i would never do this again. and besides, new wife, new church, new job......life is good.

JW have been lied to about what happens after death so they do not fear death.

mental abuse really.

beaker

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

beaker:

check your pm

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

when i first joined the jws, i came across a suicide case.but all the jws members did not even consider it a matter.subsequently i sense that depression is relatively high amongst jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit