Why is there a High Rate of Suicide among Jehovahs Witnesses?????

by Aikon 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

this person, drnewson , is obviously a joke because he or she says in one thread he or she has no elders in his congregation and now here the post about not wanting to wait to get to heaven.... not to mention joking about committing suicide because of being a republican

the thing is, this subject is a serious one and close to the heart of some who have either attempted or lost someone by suicide.. this is not a thread to joke in

I hope the moderators are following this posters comments today..

• Celtic
    Celtic

Theres a workshop coming up soon in High Wycombe I think you'll be interested in, run by a lady called Lois who has just completed her university degree into the effects of leaving mind control cults. The workshop for one day is free and is open to anyone who has at any time been indoctrinated or controlled by a cultist organisation. It will be an opportunity to learn and share with others, perspectives and/or viewpoints.

Lois wrote again to me a few weeks ago asking me to post details of the workshop.

Before I hit the sack, I'll see if I can find the email message.

If you live anywhere West of London, I maybe able to give you a lift.

Englishman I believe too has the details as far as I remember.

If you need more info on your question, please PM me.

Kindest regards

Mark

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I am sorry to hear about your friend's mother. I know what it is like to have to indentify the body of your own mother, due to suicide. I was spared from the pain of seeing her in the river, two fisherman were kind enough to show her respect and cover her up so we didnt see her in that way. At least at the funeral home, she was ....well, it is too hard to talk about .

I will tell you why my mother killed herself at the age of 35. She felt sad because my elder daddy ran off with a sister in our congregation,,,,,only 8 yrs older than me. She was in rehab because of years of chemical dependency, pain pills. She had the most severe migraines of anyone I have ever seen before. The ones I get are no where in the same class as hers were,,,she would be in the ER for every single one, and she got them sometimes 2 and 3 times a week. That is what started her innocently on the road to addiction to pain pills.

She got d/f for smoking while in rehab,,,,she was a smoker when she was young, and I saw that almost every one in all the AA meetings, the group therapy etc. were all smokers. That would be hard for any ex smoker to take, but espeically one going off drugs, going thru withdrawals, detox, cold turkey.

She got her d/f in the mail. All of this happened in just 2 to 3 months,,,,,,,beginning of her last overdose that started the whole rehab stay, of over a month, to the day we buried her.

The wanted to go back to the kingdom hall and get right with Jehovah. This was one of the last things she said to me. She said that she had sinned so bad,,,,,knowing all those years, she should not have taken those pain pills the way she did. She realized and admitted to me that she abused them to numb herself from my overbearing elder , hypocrite Dad, and the pain of the headaches, and the depression of her life. She never stayed on the antidepressants the docs put her on because she gained weight, so she would try to make it on her own. That never turned out well.

Anyway,,,,,,,,,,she said that the most painful things to her,,,,,was not just my dad leaving her for another woman,,,,,but That she also lost Jehovah. That he didnt love her anyomore either, her sins were too great,,,,and she sinned agaisnt us ( my sister and I ) all those years when we had to feed ourselves, take care of ourselves, and mostly me,,,being the oldest,,,,even at 5 yrs old ,taking care of her while she was out of it . She was so sorry that my childhood was so screwed up because of her part in it , and I was more of the mother in the family taking care of my sister.

I told her there was nothing to feel so bad about , when it came to my feelings for her, I would have taken care of her and my sister no matter what anyway. I learned alot at the group therapy , and there was alot of things that were explained to both of us as mother and daughter that all seemed to make so much sense. She was so ,,,,,I can only use the word grateful, that was her attitude, that I didnt hate her .

I was glad we made peace,,,but the biggest hole in her heart was her loss of her religion,,,,her God, and all the "loving" () brothers and sisters.

I tried to talk to her, quoted scriptures of God's love for us when we make mistakes,how we can get right , it was not the end of the world etc. etc. I thought she would be ok.

Then she was gone. No note, no warning really. This time she succeeded and I was caught unaware,,,,,,,,,,,other times, I would have seen it coming.

Since she was d/f , and it was a suicide, no brother would do her funeral talk. So in my mind they even punished this poor woman even in death. She still was a believer, a lost person, with no one there with her in her last hours. No cards, no calls, no one was at her funeral because of the situation. No flowers even,,,,,,,,,that is when I broke down,,,,,,because she loved flowers so much. It wasnt fair these fresh flowers and plants, had more life in them than she did. The brothers and sisters didnt even come to the funeral for the sake of me and my husband both of us active , JW's.

It took me getting out of the borg,,,,,,,,,to see really how much the local elders, and the ( bad word) @#$% UP JW rules contributed to the total loss of self respect my mother had for herself and her hopeless grief. The anger I have for them will never go away.........but I try to keep it in check, or I would go mad myself.

I tell her story,,,,,,,,,for her sake, out of respect and hoping that others will understand her. It is my personal mission to make sure the WT will be seen and held responsible for the blood they have on their hands.

Lura Anne Davis 1950-1985,,,,,,,faithful JW for over 16 yrs, d/f only for 2 months when she committed suicide.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

My Mom , Lura Anne

I am so emotional about this today, because I received something of hers, that she left for me ,,,,,,,,today. It just makes it all seem so fresh, all the emotions of her being gone and why,,,,,,,and then I try to remember her the way she was in this picture . I hope she is in a beautiful peaceful place , just like she always wanted to be. This pictures was taken at Hodges Gardens,,,,,,,,a beautiful paradise like park,,,,,,,she loved going , as a family,,,,,saying this is how the New Order is going to be. I hope she is in her paradis now.

• Sassy
    Sassy

That is so sad Dede. One of my friends lost her mother to suicide when she found out her husband/my friend father was having an affair with another woman. They had been inactive for years but the old congregation where they had come from allowed and had a memorial service for her. I tried to go, but my meddling mother in law threatened spiritual harm if either I or my husband (her son) attended for they felt it was wrong. Back then suicide was unacceptable to JWs. She threatened that if we went, my husband would never be used again for anything and since I wanted to support him, I bowed out even though I was upset. I never forgave myself for not being their for my friend...

my ex father in law went so far as contacting the CO regarding the memorial service and the congregation where the service was held, received a stern reprimand for having done that loving thing...

• 4JWY
    4JWY

When your mind, thoughts, emotions and behavior are controlled by someone other than yourself - you become messed up. - the hallmarks of cults, like JW's - whose life are you living? Cognitive dissonance abounds on a daily basis.

My true believer and zealot JW dad killed himself one year ago this week and was literally surrounded by the bound volumes the last months of his life, (and 43 years prior) always searching for the "proper viewpoint" on matters and unable to make decisions without the WTS guidance. As I mentioned on the other suicide thread, I have known personally 10 other JW's who ended their lives.

When my dad was in the mental unit of the hospital, another sister from our cong, had admitted herself (suicidal) . She was so worried that word would get out that she was there. The ward was frequented by MANY from all over our area - all the workers knew JW's. This sister suggested that we, "RUN" from our cong. which was part of the reason she was ailing so, - well, we haven't seen her since, but would like her to know that we not only RAN from our cong., but from the whole CULT !

We did appreciate the book by Jerry Bergman, "Jehovah's Witnesses and the Problem of Mental Illness" which does point to the high JW rate of mental illness at 7 times greater than general population. We were hard pressed to count the number of people in our own cong that were not medicated for panic attacks, depression, eating disorders, social anxiety etc. Sound familiar?

Our hearts go out to all those who have been affected by suicide. We appreciate having found JWD to share our thoughts and feelings with those who can best have an understanding of what we have all gone through .

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

(((((4JWY))))) I am so sorry to hear about your father -- one month after my dad (February 16, 2003).

if any do, it is not because of religion

drnewsom, please try not to post unless you have read the thread first. If you had, you would realize that suicide because of religion is exactly what we are talking about. You are in no position to dispute what we are saying.

Nina

• avishai
    avishai

Gee, joker10 and drnewosm, How about Robert Bryant? Christian Longo?

• avishai
    avishai

Oh, and what do you call refusing blood transfusions? Vaccination? Organ transplants?

I sure as hell call that suicide, no matter WHAT the Jw's call it. Unless it's a child with the parents making those choices for them.

Then I call it murder.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Avishai, both were dfd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit