Be merciful, even as your heavenly Father is merciful

by kes152 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

Jesus said to be imitators of him, and he was very merciful to the sinners and the downtrodden, because they were like sheep without a shepard.

He came not for the righteous, but the sinners, and he died for all.

The Pharisees had no mercy, and likewise the Governing Body. People were stoned back then, Disfellowshipped today.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Fruit

Oh yes, god had people stoned for the silliest little things, but kes says that was because god loved those people he had killed.

Deuteronomy 17
    12 The man who shows contempt for the judge or for the priest who stands ministering there to the LORD your God must be put to death. You must purge the evil from Israel.

Hosea 4
    4 "But let no man bring a charge,
    let no man accuse another,
    for your people are like those
    who bring charges against a priest.

You see, when the priests killed jesus for speaking against them, the priests were obeying the loving laws of god. Since god showed his love by killing people, the priests were also showing jesus love when they had him killed. God was very happy w those priests.

SS

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    You mean you never had a good experience with any Christians?

No, actually, I can honestly say I have personally not experienced that. I don't mean to suggest they aren't out there, just haven't had the pleasure.

bttt....
    because your god "says" he is merciful and that he is doing things "for your own good" does not mean that it is the truth. My abusive parents told me the same thing when they beat the shit out of me. I didn't believe them either.

By their fruits you will know them: lets see, genocide of entire nations, thats a pretty prickly fruit. What else do we have, yes there was rape, pillaging, stoning of anyone disagreeing with their form of worship, stoning of disobedient children (kind of takes child abuse to a new level), shit, its not even 6 a.m. here so I can't think of more right now.

Believe what you want, you are entitled, but don't peddle it off as all light and fluff when in fact your brand of religion is responsible for more wars and death than any other.

Gretchen

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gretchen:

No, actually, I can honestly say I have personally not experienced that. I don't mean to suggest they aren't out there, just haven't had the pleasure.

Shame. I can assure you that they exist

because your god "says" he is merciful and that he is doing things "for your own good" does not mean that it is the truth.

In agreement with Thomas (John 20:28) my "God" is Jesus. He hasn't failed me yet.

My abusive parents told me the same thing when they beat the shit out of me. I didn't believe them either.

I aint even going there. I've never yet seen an effective argument employed against the use of emotive anecdotal analogies.

By their fruits you will know them

Yup, agreed. Which is probably why you never stumbled across the Christians in your path. They were too busy trying to be "Christlike" and live down the reputation of a religious system, for you to identify them as such.

lets see, genocide of entire nations, thats a pretty prickly fruit. What else do we have, yes there was rape, pillaging, stoning of anyone disagreeing with their form of worship, stoning of disobedient children (kind of takes child abuse to a new level), shit, its not even 6 a.m. here so I can't think of more right now.

Sounds like more of the religious stuff, to me. But was that really the title of this thread?

Believe what you want, you are entitled, but don't peddle it off as all light and fluff when in fact your brand of religion is responsible for more wars and death than any other.

Just as I would fight for your right to express your beliefs. So, "all-knowing one" - what's my "brand" of religion?
    (John 18:36)

LT of the "gets pissed when folks try telling him what he believes" class.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    "all-knowing one" - what's my "brand" of religion

Actually I wasn't speaking to you in that portion of my post, I had address you with the first line only. Secondly, the brand I'm referring to is christianity from christ's time down to the present.

So, LT, chill out man.

Gretchen

• kes152
    kes152

To SaintSatan,

Peace be with you.

you quoted: "Deuteronomy 17:12 The man who shows contempt for the judge or for the priest who stands ministering there to the LORD your God must be put to death. You must purge the evil from Israel. "

Ones who show "contempt" or "insolence" toward a priest are 'harboring' a form of hatred against that priest. The Law was given both to make transgressions manifest, and also to protect Israel from themselves. If the people had no "instruction" they would hate one another and devouring one another and even annihilate one another (Galatians 5:15). The Law was to protect them from that. Ones who showed contempt against a priest or acted presumptuously against a minister of JAH and was unwilling to repent; if left unchecked, would result in the demise of the minister of JAH. So, to "protect" the ministers and anyone else whom this one may have contempt against, God had orders to put such one who was unwilling to repent and show love... to death. Our Lord did not harbor resentment against the priests, they harbored resentment against him because of his miracles and the things he spoke (Matthew 26:4; John 11:47, 48, 53).

you quoted: "Hosea 4:4 "But let no man bring a charge, let no man accuse another, for your people are like those who bring charges against a priest. "

Looking at the previous verses, he says, "There are the pronouncing of CURSES and practicing deception and murdering and stealing and committing adultery that have broken forth, and acts of bloodshed have touched other acts of bloodshed. That is why the land will mourn and every inhabitant in it will have to fade away with the wild beast of the field.." (Hosea 4:2, 3) Men who have no truth in themselves and do not have loving kindness within them should not "bring a charge" nor "accuse" anyone because with evil intent they do so. These have become dangerous to the people even ones around them as seen in Hosea 4:2. It is for this reason they will be removed from the land because their corruption is harming themselves and those whom they share their domain with.

you said: "You see, when the priests killed jesus for speaking against them, the priests were obeying the loving laws of god. "

No, they were not. For Jesus was not pronouncing curses on anyone, nor did he kill anyone, steal, commit adultery, nor shed innocent blood. Everything he did was in kindness and rather than killing people, he brought them from death to life and even healed the ear of one of his transgressors. They wanted to kill him because they were afraid that all in the nation would believe in him and leave the "temple" in Jerusalem. This is why they killed him.

LittleToe:

How are you! Long time no see. Peace to you!

Aaron

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gretchen:

Actually I wasn't speaking to you in that portion of my post, I had address you with the first line only.

Ah, ok. Though that wasn't clear.

Secondly, the brand I'm referring to is christianity from christ's time down to the present.

So are we saying that Christ advocated violence, etc.? I accept that his followers were prone to it, from James, John and Peter, onwards. However I suspect that you are proclaiming a generalisation as fact.
    Again, I would like to draw a distinction between Christians and the religions generally known under the umbrella name "Christianity", as these are not mutually exclusive.

So, LT, chill out man.

I always am

Aaron:
    I'm good, thanks. Life appears to be taking a slight upturn
    I'm been IM'ing you on Yahoo, for the last couple of days.
    Get with the program, bro

• Satanus
    Satanus

kes

They wanted to kill him because they were afraid that all in the nation would believe in him and leave the "temple" in Jerusalem. This is why they killed him.

Yes, and the priesthood was started by god. Those who spoke against ti were taking a stand against something put in place by god to lead the nation of israel. When someone spoke against the priesthood, he was actually speaking against god, hence the command to kill him, whatever else he may have done not withstanding.

It's comparable to the commandment not to work on the 7th day. The jew could be a saint the other six days, but if he worked on the 7th, he was to be killed. Simple, eh? That's god love for ya.

Pharissaism was started by moses, through the 70 elders that he appointed

SS

• bebu
    bebu
    and lastly, want to label me a flake because I don't believe their way.

Yet somehow, I feel like I was the one who was just labeled a flake in that post.

Yes, you are right that Christians sin by being judgmental; and no excuse for it. But please don't fall into the trap...

bebu

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

If you showed these "mercy" texts to the WTS leaders, they'd say:

1, The WTS is merciful - it allows people who've erred to remain in "Jehovah's loving organisation".

2. They'd qualify the mercy by adding "however this doesn't apply to those who've rejected Jehovah".

He came not for the righteous, but the sinners, and he died for all.

Only sinners go to heaven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit