Would you wear a crucifx?

by orangefatcat 47 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I would not. Just me. I figure a cross doesn't mean you are a Christian. I have seen many non-Christians wearing crosses.

Blondie

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yikes. I could never wear a torture device around my neck. Especially one that was used to kill such a good man.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

I could never wear a cross with Jesus on it. It would be too painful of a reminder of the horrible death he suffered. However, I do have a simple gold cross that I really love and wear everyday. I feel that by wearing it, it identifies where my faith lies, and it is important to me that others know who my God is.

growedup

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

It was the sufferings that Jesus endured so we can attain salvation from Him. I look at the crucifix, not as a tortured thing but rather as a reminder of how vital He is to my life.

I would think that if anyone had lost a person they loved dearly certainly would not all of a sudden destory or put away picture of that loved one. You would have the pictures of him or her as a reminder of them constantly. You would not associate that picture necessarily as tortured picture I'm sure. You would want to retain all that you can about the one you love in those pictures.

I mean that is how I would feel about it. My grandpa and grandma sit on my walls as a reminder to me of my depth of love and devotion I have for them. They both died in not a good way, but I look beyond that when I look at their faces. I think it reminds me of all the grand times I had in my life with them. And the same way is how I feel about Jesus Christ , I have a beautiful picture of Him and I cherish it as much as I cherish my grandparents.

I know that this is my feelings though and of course I would never intrude my feelings on to another. As I respect how all people feel.

Love Orangefatcat.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Orange -

I understand about having and displaying pictures of people who have passed that you cherish. But displaying pictures of deceased loved ones in happier times and displaying and/or wearing pictures or emblems of them in the throes of a painful and hideous death are two different things to me. I'm not trying to be crass, but my point is I can't bear to wear something that reminds me of Jesus' pain and suffering. I think for me, it is enough to know he endured it for me, without looking at his fate everytime I put on my necklace or when I look in the mirror.

But then, as my dad would say.... 'That's why they make Fords and Chevrolets ... different people have different tastes'.

growedup

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

The only metal on or near my body is the metal fillings in my teeth, and they are soon to go. If I did wear items, I'd be inclined to wear an ankh, a pentagram, a hexagram, or a yin/yang or various other chinese characters. I like the look of some eastern european crosses, but would not wear them so as to be identified (assumed) christian.

edited to add: I would most definetly wear objects that I made myself, and again, be disinclined to wear those made by others. I don't have gold/silver/platinum melting equipment, so I don't see this happening for a while yet.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

OFC, crosses are not Christian, first of all. I personally would wear one as a piece of artwork or "jewelry" if I could find a really unusual looking one! Nothing has meaning to me personally til I give it meaning is my credo.

Terri

• allpoweredup
    allpoweredup

Paul said boast of the "stauros" on which Christ died as a symbol of resurrection over death, so it is unbiblical to call a cross a repugnant murder weapon (Galatians 6:14, 1 Corinthians 1:17-18) Those who teach Christ died on a stake or pole instead of a cross ignore that human remains with the ancient item of death and also inscriptions show archaeologists that the stauros was a cross not stake. Dr Frederick Zugibe's research shows suffocation would be in minutes if on a stake but in hours if on outstretched cross as Luke

• Gadget
    Gadget
    It's a testament of faith, to be an exJW and wear a cross, imo. A statement that says "I am now my own person and will choose to adorn my body how I wish. Your heretical babble means nothing to me!"

Thats what I think when I see an exjw wearing a cross, and although I wouldn't wear a cross myself, I do wear an athame which I hope gives the same impression.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Gadget-nice. Although most folk won't know what the athame signifies, it's a much more positive symbol than a cross, imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit