We were invited to The Memorial......

by Nan 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Nan
    Nan

Our daughter-in-law (who is a witness) has invited us (via email) to the Memorial on April 4. She says it's NOT JUST for JWs. Is this true?? I thought this gathering was EXCLUSIVELY for witnesses; and to partake....er....not partake of the bread and wine?

I have to give her one for persistance! Even though we've declined her previous invitations to various JW events, she just keeps trying. She knows how we feel about the WTS; that it's nothing but a man-made religious group masquerading itself as "Christian". I guess hope springs eternal in her mind......

Thanks for your help,

Nan

• jgnat
    jgnat

Aaah, this is the big PUBLIC event of the season. Yes, you have the opportunity to hear why you must only LOOK but not TOUCH. Up close and personal, you get to observe the exciting and vibrant life of the average Witness. And to think, they get to experience this joy four times a week.

Members are encouraged to invite "worldly" family, neighbours and friends. Seniors homes are emptied and inactive ones are called upon. A headcount is taken, and is sent to HQ to be added to the statistics published the following year. Some researchers claim the true count of JW's is not the 6 million approved members, but the number of attendees at the memorial. The reasoning is that most churches will claim anybody who ascribes to their faith, even if they rarely darken the door of a church. The Witnesses, on the other hand, have extremely stringent requirements for approved membership.

So a BIG headcount is VERY IMPORTANT, to impress researchers and officials.

Anything to get those numbers up....

• MicStroz
    MicStroz

I have to raise my hand and secound that.....

Looking for a BIG headcount.......

My family will be packing our bags a few days before,

we are heading out of town that weekend...I wonder why?

They just can't take no for an answer!

• blondie
    blondie

6 million JWs

15 million at the Memorial

equals

a lot of people who aren't JWs

family, friends, coworkers, neighbors are not immune

people they study with, call on,

inactive JWs

Many JWs think that if they get you to the Memorial that the love will draw you back

Right

• Nan
    Nan

Thanks, you guys! I learned something.

Nan

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

My parents made their rounds and stopped by and invited me to the Memorial. I was respectful and declined. My respect and acknowledgement of the significance of Christ's death is honored everyday by my conduct, and not on just one particular day. In the past, I had one sister tell me that she would never forgive me for not attending the Memorial. This, from a person who would lie and conduct herself in a manner that was unbecoming of an elder's wife.

This is their prom. They play dress-up and feign solumness. They disrespect the significance of Jesus death by giving a heartless routine of worship. It's all about the external and appearances; they completely miss the most important aspects of what it means to have a relationship with God. (They would accuse me of judging for that point; I would say, their actions speak for itself.)

They recently came out with a new outline for the Memorial. It is still a rehash of the same things that have always been brought out. They mention the broad appplication of 'faith without works' (be honest, don't lie, don't kill, be kind) and acknowledge that the small things matter beyond the ministry. Inevitably, they talk about the importance of the ministry because of the time we are living in. It's JW worship so they will always call the shots in that environment.

There is only one thing that I can say for sure. It doesn't matter what the tally will be at the end of their significant event. After all the millions that are recorded as having attended their Memorial, they will be one short of what they want to believe it is all about. I don't believe for a second that I am hurting their feelings one bit, but they have never hesitated to tread over mine. Jehovah will judge us, individually, for our actions; not our association with a certain religious group. I will be corrected in due time if I am wrong.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Tell her you will go if she can show you someone other than the WT who dates 607bce as the fall of Jerusalem.

Really do that. That could put her into a tail spin if she starts down that road of research. It did me.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Nan if you go you have my permission to drink the wine and try the bread, it's nasty! You will be the hit of the evening! Maverick

• franklin J
    franklin J

drink the wine...? are you nuts....cheap wine from a screw top bottle....bhehhhh!

I would do better at a local steak house with a good bottle of Merlot.....better company too...

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

I have fallen so far out of sorts with the local indignus dubber population I dont even get invited any more. I guess they know it was me who puts up the silent lambs posters. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit