Why does the WTBTS survive?

by Skimmer 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Eppie
    Eppie

Hey,

I know that many in my country are doubting, there is a 1% decrease every year. However only 30 persons are disfellowshipped every year (of the total 30000 in my country).

Hm, I don't know what to say about the Satan thing: Actually I see that they are actually right, not especially about the Satan thing but about what they say: "if you seek friends and live in the world, you will leave the organisation." And there they have a point, because that is actually the thing that is happening to me. I don't believe that it is because of Satan, but because I see that the world is not as bad as the JW say. And because I am at college now, you gain a certain way of thinking that is actually against JW.

Why do they survive? Because they give a reason to people to live for: the paradise. Actually they are egoistic: serving God for their own purpose.

Eppie

• cornish
    cornish

You have a false prophet extremely good at covering his tracks and getting better at it all the time through years of practice,and a completely,thoroughly,absolutely,indoctrinated audience that will swallow anything.

• esther
    esther

Skimmer, I think that the change in the generation doctrine has given people doubts. I never did believe what they wrote about that, but I thought that that would be put right. I suppose I still believed that Jehovah would clean up his people, starting at the top.

Also, I thought that there had to be a true religion, and believed that the JWs were the closest thing to the truth. I have recently realised that that was because of the resurrection hope. I wanted that to be true, so let myself be partially blinded.

However, I slowed down. I withdrew from the school, started missing meetings regularly, became irregular in FS, then inactive, then finally decided to leave.

I know there are others with doubts still active, mostly for family reasons. So there may well be a constant trickle away from the JWs.

esther

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

With regard to 1975, I think that dates failure to bring any sort of event sifted out many thinking people from the organization. This left a generation who would believe almost anything and this generation seems to have fathered the generation of "rebellious" youth in the organization today.

The generation change of 1995 further has and is sifting many along with the access to the WT history on the internet that just simply isn't discussed in JW circles. This is leaving a core of ultra-dumb people who will accept any explanation about anything coming from the organization, no matter how illogical or even unscriptural it might be. As has already been mentioned these people are too lazy and lack any sort of critical thinking to rationalize whether anything makes sense.

Eventually those remaining for reasons of reform will realize their efforts are ultimately pointless and the "ultra-dumb" will simply tire out mentally and physically and be reduced to doing what their minds and bodies allow, which will be very little.

I recall "Amazing" making a comment to the effect that it will be interesting to see what happens during the years 2010-2020. While I'm sure that the organization is in a critical period at the moment and will continue to be, those years will certainly be interesting to see what, if anything remains and what sort of persons make up the membership then.

Path

• kes152
    kes152

The reason the WTBTS survives is because it was PROPHESIED that it would survive. Where?

Revelation 19:19, 20

"And I saw the wild beast (WTBTS) and the kings of the earth (religious rulers massed together as one) and their army gathered together to wage war with the One seated on the horse and with his army."

And the wild beast (WTBTS) was caught, along with it the FALSE PROPHET that performed in front of it signs with which he misled those who recieved the MARK of the wild beast and those who render worship to its image. While STILL ALIVE, they both were hurled into the lake of fire that burns with sulphur.

But the rest (political rulers, etc.) were killed off with the long sword ..."

Revelation 13:11-13

The 'wild beast' is said to be "earthly" a.k.a. "earthly organization," LOOKS like a Lamb.. "the Lamb of God" err.. the "Truth" but speaks as a dragon. And it has a 'mark' namely

"Do you realize that your baptism IDENTIFIES YOU ('marks' you) as one of Jehovah's witness and in association with his spirit directed organization?"

Just so you know....
    Aaron

• YoungerTom
    YoungerTom

Hi Eppie, Have a look in the book, Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, pages 26 -30,to find the source of the speculation on 1975. If you are still going to the meetings, you should find a copy in the library. My dad was congregation servant at the time and he squashed it flat right away, so we didn't go round telling people that Armagedon was coming then. At that time, when the circuit servant came to the cong. he would say, "So many years, so many months, so many days to Armagedon." Bear in mind that they don't wipe their noses without first getting the society's OK. So there is no doubt that they were behind it. I'll look forward to hearing from you Eppie. Bye, YT.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Kes, old son, you've just shown that you're no better than those in the long line of supposed Bible prophets like C T Russell and Joe Ratherflawed. Stick to preaching God's grace and Christian freedom and forget the speculation.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Young Tom,

So there is no doubt that they were behind it.

Does this show that they were 'a special possession'? Don't think much of your priests! How did they serve to the nations?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

• YoungerTom
    YoungerTom

Stop crossing threads Ozzie. Nobody here will have a clue what we are talking about. Anyway, I'm afraid that you will have to come up with a better answer than that. YT.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Keep up your good reading Young Tom, you'll get it eventually.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit