Why does the WTBTS survive?

by Skimmer 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Back in late 1973 when I got my fatal doubts about the WTBTS, I was sure that the Society would crumble soon after 1975 when yet another prediction failed. I was not alone with this thought; a British author by the name of Stevenson (an exJW that had written an expose) allocated an entire chapter in his book about the likelihood that there would be a very major falling away in 1976 or soon thereafter.

But it didn't happen. Yes, there were several years of consecutive worldwide declines. And I believe that the WTBTS had to postpone numerous infrastructure improvements and real estate acquisitions because of a cash shortfall. But it looks like more than half of the persons who were JWs in 1975 were still JWs in 1980. Perhaps a good part of this was the general economic and political uncertainty of the time.

The abandonment of the 1914 generation doctrine in 1995, long predicted by opposers, is something I also would have expected to cause a couple of years of worldwide drops. It certainly had an effect, but not as much as some would think.

I now believe that the WTBTS could say just about anything nowadays and the majority of JWs would believe it. Why? That is the central question here and until there is a good answer, the Brooklyn printing presses will continue. "Millions now living will never have a normal, self-directed life."

• Simon
    Simon

They will become like many other religions who's beliefs don't make much sense - they will have a certain following of people who like being in the club but there will be do real impetus behind what they do.

The main thing is that people should be allowed to leave if they want without fear of any reprisals (like losing family and friends). If they gave up the bully boy tactics I'm sure more would leave.

• esther
    esther

In our congregation, nothing much was made of 1975, except that it was the end of 6000 years. The elders just pointed to the fact that it was just a date, and pointed to Matt 24:36 about no-one knowing the day etc. As they said, the 6000 years would have been known to Jesus, and even Satan, and so would the time of Eve's creation. So, to us, 1975 was just a sign-post along the way. That made more sense to me than that 1975 would be the start of Armageddon.

Simon, you said

The main thing is that people should be allowed to leave if they want without fear of any reprisals (like losing family and friends). If they gave up the bully boy tactics I'm sure more would leave.
    Exactly. It would also lead to the open discussion of doubts, and people would be less inclined to 'Wait on Jehovah' when they realised that their own doubts were not due to their lack of study etc.

esther

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello esther:

In the two congregations I attended back in 1973, there was a big deal about 1975, both from the platform and from informal talk among the members. There were plenty of warnings (or threats, depending on how one looks at it) that no one could count on making it through and so regular meeting attendance and plenty of field service was the only hope (but not a guarantee). Absolutely no one thought that the Big A would wait until after 1975. Indeed, some were saying that it could be a year earlier, so there was a great emphasis on getting people baptized before it was "too late".

The elders used the nearness of the date and the associated fear at every opportunity to get the congregation's numbers up. Disfellowshipping took on a more ominous tone when it was suggested that the traditional six month repentance period for many offenses could extend into the Big A arrival and so all hope would be lost for the unfortunate victim.

Ah, if I had only had a tape recorder. No doubt that the widespread availability of miniaturized audio and video recording equipment has been a reason for the WTBTS to be a little more circumspect nowadays.

• Eppie
    Eppie

Maybe they are not leaving because they believe in their religion. Not all people have doubts or left the organisation as most of the people on this site. There are also positive things about it.

I understand your point about 1975, but as far as I know (hell, I wasn't even born then...) it was never officially confirmed about 1975. At least I never found anything in the literature about it. If you did, please let me know, I am interested in reading it.

Please, don't ridicule people that are in the religion, they do what they want to do, maybe it makes their lives better that it is without it, every personal situation is different. It does not fit in your life, maybe, but maybe it does perfectly in their life.

Eppie

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Eppie,

Wanted to give you the "confirmation" you were seeking that the WT Society did highlight and exaggerate the importance of the 1975 date. Follow these links:

At this one below, take special note of the posts by "Trevor" and "Somebody" which contain specific quotes from the Watchtower.
    * http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=3892&site=3#48661

This one takes a little while to load, wait until it gets down to the year 1975 (if you need further verification):
    * http://www.freeminds.org/history/list.htm

And as far as your concern about "ridicule", I personally would not ridicule individuals who are JW's. Heck, I left behind family and some people I still would consider good friends (if they were allowed to talk to me).

What is being criticized here, Eppie, is the tactics used, the misinformation, the disfellowshipping arrangement, and the leadership at the WT headquarters who make decisions that affect millions of people with arrogance, rather than with humility and reliance on the scripture.

An attack on individuals would really be pointless. However, pointing out the faults of a system is necessary and furthermore does not constitute an attack on innocent individuals caught within a faulty system.

Take care.

GopherGod is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
    Voltaire (1694-1778)

• Francois
    Francois

Eppie, your sentiments about allowing the JWs to go quietly about their business would be fine, as Gopher says, if going quietly about their business didn't include destroying families, killing people with their policies, and generally being destructive, devisive and dangerous.

I can't help wishing them the absolute worst that can be imagined.

Francois

My $0.02

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello again Eppie:

Yes, you won't find out much about 1975 in any recent literature (written after 1975). But there was plenty in the 1966-1975 time frame, i assure you. The web references that were posted are accurate; I recall reading some of them when they were first published by the WTBTS.

Of course the WTBTS wants to keep the whole 1975 topic off limits to current JWs. Exactly like they kept information about Rutherford's 1925 Big A prediction secret from the JWs of thirty years ago.

The day will come, likely in the next ten years, when the WTBTS will not longer publish the 607 BC/1914 AD chronology. And then the JWs will never hear about that again.

• patio34
    patio34

Skimmer,

Good question. Back to the original question of survival: I'm drawing on my recent reading on evolution.

The comparison is critical mass. According to Richard Dawkins, once a species reaches so many individuals (critical mass) it becomes self-perpetuating.

He likened it to a new music recording; at 1st it's on a few stations, then some records are sold, but once it hits 'critical mass' (exposure), it takes off on its own--everybody has to have it. Same with species.

Also, imo, the same with institutions. WTBS is old, large, and pretty solid. It takes a while for it to wind down, and can run on momentum for some time.
    But it does wind down, as Metratron pointed out on his thread that it would be the coasting that would undo it.

Dawkins explained it all better in his book, but it's late and I don't want to look it up.

Pat

"All religions die of the same disease, that of being found out."
    Pat

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Why does it survive? I can think of two main reasons:

1. Because it's offering paradise, a spiritual materialism.

2. Because most JDubs do not have time, or are just plain lazyy, to check it our for themselves.

To Eppie: Welcome to this happy place. Have a great time while you're here. Are you really from Nederland? If so, you would be aware that there are many JDubs in your land who are having doubts about the Borg. Many have left already and others are in the process of leaving. In your heart you know that's true don't you? Have you stopped to think why they are leaving? Are they in the grips of Satan, or could it be something else that's causing them to go?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Truth persuades by teaching, but does not teach by persuading."
    TERTULLIAN, Adversus Valentinianos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit