Cost of ad in New York Times for NGO letter??

by pc 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• pc
    pc

Any idea what the cost for newspaper ad would be displaying the letter? pc

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

from one source I've seen, about $50,000.

• pc
    pc

How many people are on this site? pc

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I see where you are going with this. IMHO, a bulliten board would be cheaper, reach about the same number of viewers if put int the right place (and perhaps more, since billboards have a captive audience), and cost about $45,000 less, and run for months rather then a single day. (there was a thread about this somewhere, a few days ago).

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi pc,

How many people are on this site? pc

I think I know where you're coming from - but the cost of the advertisement in the New York times only isn't enough! Many JWs, even in the US, won't read the NYT. And what about the British JWs? I'd like all of them to learn about this scandal, too. To give an example, when this story first broke it was covered by the Guardian (an English newspaper), which is one of the better ones here - but very few read it. Those that did - at least those that I knew - just put it down to some mischief-making by worldly people. Now get this. I was alone with elder and the UN association came up in discussion. I was a respected MS at the time. I told him the article was true. "Is it?", he asked - then laughed his head off. He couldn't care less - and neither could the rest of the congregation! Sad, but true! The letter-writing that is currently being championed here should have a far greater impact and, hopefully, will be picked up by MANY newspapers - worldwide!!! Ian

• lurk
    lurk

50,000 no way ..really? ...nah you could do a tv advert for that money.hey tv advert LOL JKKKKKKKKKK

wouldn't that be a shocker ,there be some ppl chokking on their veggies that day LOLing

the only way newspapers would be interested is if the story read" WTS elder caught in bed with secratary of UN .....(literally.) the elder is quoted as saying " i only did it for a library card"

• pc
    pc

Actually an ad at the liquor store would probably be the most viewed !!! LOL pc

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

The Internet remains the cheapest and most effective way of providing information to person who are interested in knowing more about their religion (JW's). The Internet provides anonymity, and discretion of deciding how far to reseach. Some people will never look beyond, and if they have doubts, they will stifle them. That's their karma. But the information is out there if the want to see it.

The "hard sell", such as billboards, ful-page ads, letter writing (basically direct mailing), people with placards and bullhorns at the convention sites, mailing a thousand stuffed sheep, all that just sounds like refinements of old JW tactics, and I doubt they have many results. I'm both attracted to the idea, but also repulsed by it. In the end, I don't think I'd ever support it financially. I guess it's a bad thing to say, but I got out without reading an advertisement. They can too.

• pc
    pc

Gita, I know you are right it is just so frustrating. Sometimes I just wish there was something that could get them out fast. pc

Hi Dansk, thanks for the response.

pc

• JH
    JH

Made a photocopy of the letter and put it in every windshield of every car at the kingdom halls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit