A Really Dumb Error in New Study Book

by proplog2 50 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

Are you ready for a really dumb mistake? I’m not talking about willful deception. I’m not talking about stubborn adherence to a dogmatic idea. I’m talking simply D-U-M-B.

It’s in the introductory paragraphs of the new book.

First I’ll quote word for word:

DRAW CLOSE TO JEHOVAH

Chapter 1

1. Can you imagine having a conversation with God? The very thought inspires awe-the Sovereign of the universe speaking to you! You hesitate at first, but then you manage to reply. He listens, he responds, and he even makes you feel free to ask any question you want. Now, what question would you ask?

2. Long ago, there was a man who was in just such a position. His name was Moses. The question he chose to ask God, though, might surprise you. He did not ask about himself, his future, or even the plight of mankind. Rather, he asked God’s name. You might find that odd, for Moses already knew God’s personal name. His question, then, must have had deeper meaning. In fact, it was the most significant question Moses could have asked. The answer touches us all. It can help you take a vital step in drawing close to God. How so? Let us take a look at that remarkable conversation.

The questions for paragraphs 1 & 2 (a) What questions would you like to ask God? (b) What did Moses ask God?

The question I would like to ask God is why he can’t help his modern day representatives avoid making themselves look like Bible illiterates.

Here is what I’m talking about. You would think from reading these paragraphs that the very first question Moses asked God was concerning God’s name. In fact if you actually look up the account in the Bible Moses asks a first question of God. I hope I understand this right. Doesn’t the "?" sign mean a question has been asked. OK So all I have to do is look for the "?" and read what is before it and I can safely assume a question has been asked.

Ex 3:11 "However, Moses said to the true God: "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I have to bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?.

This definitely seems to be a question Moses is asking God. In fact it precedes the question about God’s name. And what is the subject of this very first question Moses asks God? He seems to be asking about HIMSELF. This is a clear contradiction to the claim in paragraph 2 that says "He (Moses) did NOT ask about himself".

This is a dumb mistake.

Doesn’t it make you wonder? Where are the editors? One individual writer might get carried away with a point they want to make. But that’s why there are editors. Didn’t the editors look up the scriptures quoted?

This is a mistake by a committee. I doubt that it would have happened when Karl Klein and Fred Franz were involved in the writing. To be sure they wrote a lot of stuff that deserves to be criticized - but they weren’t STUPID.

If the Watchtower is the spokesman at this critical period of the "END" shouldn’t we expect the Holy Spirit to somehow keep these people from looking STUPID?

If Christ sent his HELPER to this so-called "faithful slave" shouldn’t it at least HELP keep them from making themselves look DUMB?

You have to believe that some of the six million JW's have written the Watchtower about this mistake. You have to believe that someone has lost their job on account of this bumbling.

There was a time I would have written them and asked for an explanation. But since they don't give those explanations any more - why bother. So I felt compelled to write it up here.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

#The questions for paragraphs 1 & 2 (a) What questions would you like to ask God? (b) What did Moses ask God?#

Along with agreeing to the context of your post, I'm amazed at the childish way this is written. It seems to be on a par with the "Dick and Jane" series----see Spot run, what color is Spot, etc.

Since I no longer have the "privelege" of current WTS literature, I only see what's "new" online. Someone ( the woman is MY age, and no child) on another board was gushing about this book---so I'm very surprised on actually seeing this excerpt and how terribly demeaning it is! It's almost embarrasing to think THIS nonsense is really being studied!

Thanks for sharing.

hugs,

Annie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes, it does seem curious that the Writing Committee should have passed such a statement. As if "rubbing salt in the wound" of the WTS's error, Moses continues to ask many questions of God about himself, Moses (e.g. Gen 4:1 "What if they do not believe me...?") and he seems to baulk at the idea of being sent by God so that in verse 10 he says he is not eloquent and finally in verse 13 he tells God to go and ask someone else to do it! So, for the Writing Department to claim that Moses was not concerned for self seems to be 'drawing a very long bow' indeed!

In the WTS' favor, is that Moses does ask God's identity (verse 13) but this is in the context of Moses' concern over his own perceived inadeqacy for the assignment.

If Christ sent his HELPER to this so-called "faithful slave" shouldn?t it at least HELP keep them from making themselves look DUMB?

A moot point.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Corvin
    Corvin

What a gem! I am going to use this one with the next JW that darkens my door.

Corvin

• wasasister
    wasasister

Among other things, I would like to ask God....

Why He allows his chosen Spokesmen on Earth to botch handling of child sex abuse cases.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It could be deliberate. The wt has a habit of dinigrating any individualism, while redirecting attention to it's god, jehovah, and his ego problem. Perhaps the writer felt that moses' question about himself had to be neutralised, because it could justify to dubs thinking about their own needs or inadequisies, which could interfere w selfless service to jehovahwtgod.

SS

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

P erhaps in narcicistic bafoonery, the average jw writer doesn't address people with "Hi, what's your name?" - but rather just launches into "food", being such a gift themselves.

But lo ! A man named Moses asked the name of the other person first !

• Corvin
    Corvin

It could be deliberate. The wt has a habit of dinigrating any individualism, while redirecting attention to it's god, jehovah, and his ego problem. Perhaps the writer felt that moses' question about himself had to be neutralised, because it could justify to dubs thinking about their own needs or inadequisies, which could interfere w selfless service to jehovahwtgod.

SS

Makes perfect sense to me.

• Panda
    Panda

UGH!!! I cannot believe I fell for this drivel. The language is probably simplistic enough to be understood by people who don't finish HS or get any schooling. They aim for poor people now, I guess. But I want to yell from the roof tops "The Emperor has no clothes."

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The langauge is deliberately condescending. The Society feels that they are dealing with a bunch of uneducated idiots and they need to be dummied down to. Remember what it said in Ray Franzs books? ABout how the Society felt that the "friends" couldnt be trusted to do anything or understand anything if left to their own devices? It was The SOCIETY who put the cabosh on getting an education! Now they are left with their army of third world ignorant, uneducated, sheep....and thats probably what they wanted....but they are also losing money because the sheep dont have good paying jobs because they lack education. You get what you paid for. I feel bad for the members of these congregations that actually have decent incomes...imagine the presssure they are under to fund the whole operation?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit