Democrat or Republican?

by spiritwalker 33 Replies latest social current

• spiritwalker
    spiritwalker

When I left the Witnesses, I decided it was time to vote. So I registered Republican and went to voting all Republican and conservative. I figured, they might not be perfect, but unlike the Democrats that I have seen. They seemed like the lesser of the two evils. In time, and with more research, I learned that they were only a little better then a Democrat. So I went to registering Independent and yet I still find that I do still vote along Republican lines. I can not help it, every Democrat I meet, seems to be a walking lie. So how do you feel?

Why am I so negative about Democrats? Well it started when I started researching what the parties stand for and what they do. It seemed that Democrats promoted the idea, of preying on the less educated and in many cases, the more ignorant parts of this country. For example, the elderly and minority vote, who in most cases. Have less education and get scared easily with certain pop phrases. For example, I could go to the elderly man next door and say, "George W is saying he will take away your Medicare and that man would vote for Kerry." Most likely, he would not even look up what I said. He would just be so scared, that he would do what ever it takes to hold on to something he values and from what I have seen, that is exactly what the Democratic party does. As for the minorities and welfare class. Often, especially in certain parts of the country, they lack education and they love government assistance. Love it!!! No that is to little a world, they LIVE by it. So when Democrats want their vote, what do the commercials say, "George W is going to cut welfare!" Which gets them to working for one day every four years, when they work themselves down to the polls and vote Democrat out of fear.

I am one of those people who actually thinks this government should have some sort of testing to see if someone is stable minded enough to vote. Perhaps a required education level, even something as simple of having a high school diploma. Just so the people who get emotionally used, could not make a swing vote to something that is simply not real. This way, both parties would be forced to realize that the voting public is not wanting lies, but facts. Which is a hard word to here in politics, as no facts are possible and no President is as powerful as people think they are.

As for Republicans, to give equal time here. I am sick and tired of having them push their morals on me, when I do not agree. This is not the 1950's and people do have a right to their freedom. I do not want Howard Stern off the air, because Janet Jackson flashed the world. I do not want prayer in school and I do not think that private schools should be paid for by the government. As private schools are often churches and that would mean that a organization that is void of taxes in most cases, would be seeing their highest profit from taxes paid for other reasons.

So I guess I vote with what ever works, but I refuse to be attached in registration to these parties and I was wondering. Now that you are free of the religion and allowed to vote. Which way did your politics take you?

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

I'm currently registered as a Democrat; that's just so I can vote in the primary elections. Back in 2000 I was registered in the Republican Party (because I wanted to vote for John McCain in the 2000 Republican Presidential primary). In the November 2000 election I voted for all Democrat and Green Party candidates.

Which is my round about way of saying I have no party loyalty.

I think political parties try to polarize people using highly divisive issues like abortion, gay-marriage, and the war in Iraq, and the purpose of this attempted polarization is to disenfranchise the average potential voter who ends up not agreeing with either party platform and hence does not vote -- this keeps only the party loyalist voting and totally corrupts democracy.

I think the two-party political system is killing America.

As a way of post-script, spiritwalker, you really need to meet some more Democrats. As for them being "largely uneducated" I don't know where you get that from, except perhaps anecdotal information. I personally know dozens and dozens of democrats who hold Ph.D.s in everything from media analysis to geology and I will be one myself in a few years. (Not that I?m necessarily a Democrat.)

Since you're relatively new to the new political game, may I suggest a book for you to read? The author is Plato; the book is 'The Republic'. It's a fascinating look at what the role of the government should play in a free society. If you read that I'd also recommend reading 'The Prince', by Nicollo Machiavelli -- it is a brilliant political treatise.

I don't mean to talk down to you. For all I know, you've already read both of these books. I'm just recommending them if you haven't.

• spiritwalker
    spiritwalker

Something Democrats say that shows me they like to make statements without all the facts. Just to get an emotional response.

"The Supreme Court decided the last presidential election"

Reasons for the quote

Supreme Court refused to delay election results any longer, and did not allow another recount, in what became an endless request of recounts. This along with the fact that Bush won by electoral college and not popular vote, makes people feel some hateful pride in this statement.

Ignored facts

1 . Since the end of this election, the recount has been done in Florida by many organizations. Including, extreme pro-Democrat organization. None have ever come up with a count that has Gore winning.

2 . Every president wins by electoral college and not popular vote. While it is true, that the popular vote is general in favor of the winning candidate. This countries election process is not dependent on this method. Meaning, that it is not how many votes you get, it is how many states you won. This has been the rules for the election process since the constitution outlines it. Both candidates knew this going in and play to that game in the process. You can not change the rules at the end, even if the outcome is not something you favor. Whining about it, shows that you do not respect the governments laws, and shows others that you are not in the "AMERICAN" way of doing things. Perhaps you should do like Alec Baldwin promised and find another country.

Just another example of why I do not respect the Democrat party

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Spriitwalker, what or who are you responding to? You've got me puzzled.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Neither! Was once politically active, even completed a minor in Political Science but lost respect for the politicians and the political process. I guess I'm in good company since more than half of the electorate do not vote. At least I vote, but each time it is for the lessor of evils. Just don't think the adverserial system is healthy, or that we are ever "knowledgible" voters.

carmel

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Carmel, I agree completely about most voters being uninformed. And I think most of the problem lies with human nature. A lot of people want to blame the media for not covering "boring" but extremely important events like meetings of the IMF or the WTF, immigration reform, fair-trade reform, trade treaties and tariffs, monetary policy. But let's face it, if that's what was on the news, nobody would watch. All most people want is the latest on Martha Steward or Scott Peterson.

And so political parties trot out abortion and gay-rights and other polarizing issues -- people have strong feelings toward those issues and that makes for better news copy (ratings, circulation, page hits). The media covers the highly emotional but vastly less important issues, and many people vote on the basis of that coverage (whether it be from Fox News, CNN, CNBC, ABC News is only relevant to the individual voter).

My solution: more political parties, more diverse media outlets, less corporate media ownership; then again you can't change human nature and just like the great political mind and historian Juvenal said almost 2,000 years ago, "the public has long since cast off its cares; the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs eagerly for just two things -- bread and circuses."

I?m afraid he was right.

P.S. Sorry this is in red, computer glitch.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Independent Conservative who ain't seeing many Dems worth voting for.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I certainly agree that there should be some standard associated with the privilege of voting. I'd go for tax payers, that's income tax. People shouldn't be able to vote themselves largesse from the public purse if they don't contribute to that purse. That's the appeal the Democrats are making to a lot of voters, soak the taxpayers, reap the benefits.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    Independent Conservative who ain't seeing many Dems worth voting for.

And, I'm the guy who evens the scales on the other side:

Independent Liberal who just can't vote for Bush. (I don't know about the congressional races here in AR, yet. Not a lot has been said about them, yet. Our primary isn't until May.)

• gespro
    gespro

My ancestors were here before the white man came. My other ancestors were brought over in slavery to develop this land for the white man's use. We're basically watching the white man destroy himself and, maybe after that destruction, people can get back to their own business like farming their own land and maybe living in peace without this strife. I can hardly wait!

g

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit