To the right wing Americans

by donkey 37 Replies latest social current

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

"Respect Bush, yes. I feel that any president deserves respect simply because of the office. So, regardless of who the president is, Americans should at least respect the office and the man (or woman) who holds it. Respect Bush, yes. I feel that any president deserves respect simply because of the office. So, regardless of who the president is, Americans should at least respect the office and the man (or woman) who holds it."

That is precisely one of the fundmental hallmarks of a democracy. How many "coups de etat" has the US experienced? Presidents are elected, voted in, and we accept it...without violent acrimony, without bloodshed. That is what separates a truly democratic nation from a dictatorship.

• donkey
    donkey

do you view the guy in office as YOUR leader even if you are totally opposite in your views to his/hers?

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

I always respect the office, it's certainly the hardest job available, and most of the time I have some respect for the man. I quite liked Kennedy and found some good things about Johnson, Nixon had some major successes in foreign policy and I liked that. I liked Ford. Carter was probably a good man, but a lousy President. I really like Ronnie. There was a lot I thought highly of about George the First but I hated that he backed off on the tax issue. I found it very difficult to find anything to like about Clinton, I found him amoral and governed mostly by ambition. I don't thing he did anything for the country. Kerry seems to me to be in the Clinton mold, ambition is his driver. I have seen scant evidence he really gives a hoot about the country. George the Second come after Ronnie for me, too many compromises and too much spending. I do think he is very focused and he does what he says he'll do. If I saw Kerry really trying to do something for the country, then the respect level would go up, but I just don't see any indicators of that happening.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Well, you know, I'd probably bitch and moan for four years - but that's why democracy is so much fun. We get to pick our leader, and if I don't like it, I don't need to get my panties in a twist, I can just work to get the NEXT Republican elected. No need for revolution at this point, we have a bloodless coup every four to eight years.

CZAR

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I will respect whoever ends up in the Whitehouse... so long as it is not Bush!

Anyone but Bush for 2004!

• Badger
    Badger

This presidency is a much tougher pill for liberals to swallow than others.

For starters, the Florida election. Whether or not you thought it was straight up, the right must admit that it at least LOOKS shady. If the same thing had happened only the other way (with a Demo-dominated SCOTUS and an Demo state exec branch. ) The right would be challenging the legitimacy of a Gore Presidency.

Plus, Reagan, Nixon and Bush the Elder won BIG. They ran their Demo opponents out of town. Reagan had a strong Demo appeal in a time of great crisis.

Bush has been polarizing. many of his statements, actions and positions seem tailor made to telling the left that the nation doesn't need them here, and actively wants them gone.

I have a low opinon of bush the younger. I've made that plain. I'm pulling for his defeat, and I disagree with many of his policies.

But I'm not advocating a revolution. I'm not calling for Impeachment or recall (there are no grounds), and I'm not for a widespread disertion of the miltary. I don't want the country to fail in any regard just so Kerry can win. I don't want any more soldiers to die abroad, another 9/11, a continued recession or a spike in crime just so the GOP looks even more incompetent.

I recognize and endorse Bush's current occpancy.

I do the same to Kerry's nomination, even though I'm a Howard Dean fan.

But I'm voting for Kerry, because I think he could do the best job.

How's that?

• Flash
    Flash

Oops, posting error.

• Flash
    Flash

Kerry is an empty suit. I think he would be to the US what the iceburg was to the Titanic.

(Note: I have no idea why my post is showing up at this place in the Thread...???)

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    How many "coups de etat" has the US experienced?

Just the 2000 election

• Farkel
    Farkel

donkey,

Kerry won't get elected. He's counting on the stupidity and vulnerability of the public to actually believe that he's articulating a REAL plan to deal with Iraq and the economy. In reality, it's all vague gibberish. He's a New England elitist who has no care or use for American lowerlings. He will be sorely disappointed on election day when he finds out the American public is not as stupid and foolable as he thinks.

If he does get elected, though, I'm reminded by our history: weaker men have always risen to the occassion when elected to the solemn office of US President. There is something about that office and the responsibility it entails that drags up weaker men to rise to the job. Nothing terribly disatrous happened when we had Truman, Carter and Ford as President. Furthermore, if a balance can be maintained in Congress after the election, Kerry won't be able to do much of anything damaging. At least on the domestic front that is. Regarding Iraq, he has painted himself into a corner and can't afford to lose any more credibility by unilaterally pulling out and leaving the fate of Iraq to themselves, Iran, Syria and Saudi Arabia.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit