Did Noah really build an ark?

by frogit 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

There is no question that the Noah account is lifted directly from earlier Sumerian and Babylonian accounts. So, if any account is truthful, it is more likely to be the original.

If we are going to simply accept the truthfullness of literature at face value, without checking to see if the events described are even possible, perhaps other pertinent questions might be:

Did Jason really sail in the Argo in search of the Golden Fleece?

Did Ulysses really have all those fabulous adventures returning from the Trojan War, including having his crew turned into swine by a goddess?

Did St. Brendan really build a boat of oxhides and sail from Ireland to various lands in the Atlantic?

Did Prince Caspian really sail to the edge of the world in the Dawn Treader?

All these events are published as actual events in the writings of various cultures, some ancient, others more recent.

Unfortunately, with regard to any alleged global deluge, there is also no question that many civilizations, such as Egypt, India, and China, were already thriving during the years which the Bible claims the flood occurred. We know the names of many of the pharoahs and kings from this time, and have many artifacts from these cultures. None of these cultures recorded any period of catastrophic flooding, or even noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Why?

• smack
    smack

of course he did, otherwise, what is the purpose of rainbows! Gods promise that he won't do it again.

/tongue firmly in cheek

Steve

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

The entity known as Noah made an appearance in the sphere of influence circa 1940's. I don't presently know if he's still alive, nor where he is. (It does not matter anyway). If memory serves me correctly there were three floods... circa 3500BC and two around 10000BC.

The floods were designed to remove man-kind from his own devices, and place his reliance on the Creator; in effect reconnecting mankind with that which he had lost. The flood only occured after repeated warnings went unheeded.

The promise that there would be no more floods is in indeed correct. Fire is next and will likewise place mankind in a position in which his own devices are removed, and reliance must be placed with the creator again... a further reconnecting... again.

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

It might also be noted that the Planet Earth is currently changing shape as noted by NASA satelitles. It's getting flatter at the poles and the equator is bulging. Given the sheer speed and magnitude of the change (only a coupla years), NASA is figuring that the only way such a large change could occur is a shift in the Oceans... for they CAN and indeed DO shift due to temp. and salinity. If the gulf-currents get too full of salt, then entire gulf-jet-stream could shut down practically overnight sending the top half of the planet into an ice-age. Planetary changes can and indeed do happen. The moon pulls tides over a metre from the ocean bed and it's 3.5 days away. What if a moon sized object passed by half-as-close again as our own moon? The Earth has two moons at present... although it's basically a small dark asteroid. I have no doubt that under the correct conditions a large proportion of the earth's water could shift to one side of the planet... even slightly so causing widespread flooding.

However... as I said... I am not expecting floods next time.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

UpandAtom

Do you have any evidence to support your claims or are you just spouting random nonsense?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Funkyderek, I suspect he has no idea.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Do you have any evidence to support your claims or are you just spouting random nonsense?

Slap...slap...slap....The sound of UpandAtom thumbing through backissues of the Readers Digest.

HS

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

The Earth has two moons (albeit a temporary one)
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994814

The Earth is changing shape:
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/releases/2002/release_2002_217.cfm

Gulf Stream could shut down causing ice-age (one of many sources):
    http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm

Discussion on Earth's Tides and Conservation of Angular Momentum (one of many sources):
    http://www.mscd.edu/~physics/astro/notes6.htm

If you don't believe me in Earthly matters, how then will you believe me in heavenly matters?

What would you consider evidence of heavenly matters?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit