George Benson:associated with Jehovah?s witnesses

by frogit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• frogit
    frogit

George Benson is now on BBC Radio Five Live he just answered a question from a listener he said ?he was a associated with Jehovah?s witnesses and goes door knocking, and finds it quiet interesting?, they then moved on to his new Album.

frogit

• talesin
    talesin

He has been a JW for decades.

talesin

• frogit
    frogit

It was on in the background while I was working, but here is the gist of some extracts that caught my attention

One caller talked about the time he was persuaded to make love to his girlfriend for the first time, one of George?s songs was playing; think it was ?Feel Like Making Love?, or maybe another one of his great love songs. Not much of a comment from George!!!!

Another caller ask for a recommended song to play whilst with is girlfriend tonight!!! (think the caller wanted to score).

It was a good to listen to him on the Radio. It must be hard to be famous and an active Jehovah?s Witness? He sounds like a really nice bloke.

frogit

• talesin
    talesin

frogit

I did a search, here's a link to his bio on VH-1. It says he became a JW 'in the 80s'. I'm glad he's still making music! I remember his hits from my 'youth' - smooooth and delicious.

(heheh, well, I'm not THAT old)

http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/512962/03191999/benson_george_1.jhtml

tal

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I remember watching an interview of him years ago and he admitted he was a JW and went in field service. He laughed about people not always taking the magazines , but they would he if autographed them,,,,,,,,he said at least it got in the hands of the people that way. He was funny about it and not full of himself at all the way he presented himself at the interview. He really did seem like a nice person, from the interview.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I remember when a load of the young ones in the congregation ( 20-30 yr)got together & went in car loads to see him....They all knew he was a JW

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember the interview he did on Jay Leno. Jay got a kick out of it. Jay is pretty respectable about people's faiths, and didn't hammer him too bad about it.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember a radio interview with him about 10years ago (maybe more) when he was being considered for the title role in the upcoming movie about Malcom X. He was so excited and said it was his dream to play this hero to black people. I couldn't believe my ears, and thought he must not be a JW anymore. He obviously didn't get the role. (Denzel Washington did).

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Yep Brother Benson is dub!

wannaexit

• Sabine
    Sabine

Makena met him in person in the 80s, one of our elders was producing his album. One thing I found interesting was that he referred to his wife as Mrs. Benson, she was in the room at the time. He came across like he was quite full of himself, and the elder even said he believed his own PR.

I saw him on a flight to Maui last year, one thing I can say is that it appeared like he drank quite a bit on the flight over....not uncommon for JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit