Tatiana

Tips for visitors to the South

If you are going to live, or visit in the South, you
    need to know the rules. In an effort to help outsiders
    understand the rules of the Southerner's mind, the
    following list will be handed to each person as they
    enter a Southern State.

1. That farm boy you see at the gas station did more
    work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.

2. It's called a "gravel road." No matter how slow you
    drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator.
    Drive it or get it out of the way.

3. The red dirt - it's called clay. Red clay. If you
    like the color don't wash your car for a couple weeks - it'll be permanent.

4. We all started hunting and fishing when we were
    seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.

5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't
    cry to us if a flathead breaks it off at the handle.
    We have a name for those little 13-inch trout you fish for - bait.

7. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

8. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards
    are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might want to ensure it's not up to your ear at the time.

9. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu.
    Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey.

10. Tea - yeah, we have tea. It comes in a glass over ice and is sweet. You want it hot - sit it in the sun. You want it unsweetened - add a lot of water.

11. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown,
    wet, and served over ice.

12. So you have a sixty thousand-dollar car. We're real impressed. We have a quarter of a million-dollar combine that we only use two weeks a year.

13. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.

14. We eat dinner together with our families. We pray
    before we eat (yeah, even breakfast). We go to church
    on Wednesdays and Sundays and we go to high school football games on Friday nights. We still address our seniors with "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am," and we sometimes still take Sunday drives around town to see
    friends and neighbors.

15. We don't do "hurry up" well.

16. Greens - yeah, we have greens, but you don't putt on them. You boil them with salty fatback, bacon or a ham hock.

17. Yeah, we eat catfish, bass, bream and carp. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.

18. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don't like it? Interstate 65 goes two ways - Interstate 40 goes the other two. Pick one.

19. Grits are corn. You put butter, salt, and maybe even some pepper on them. If you want to put milk and sugar on them, then you want cream of wheat - go to Kansas. That would be I-40 West.

20. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season or dove season. Both are holidays. You can get pancakes, cane syrup, and sausage before daylight at the church on either day.

21. So every person in every pickup waves? Yeah, it's called being friendly. Understand the concept?

22. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water
    hazards. It spooks the fish and bothers the gators -and if you hit it in the rough, we have these things called diamondbacks, and they're not baseball players.

23. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot - his name is "Sir," no matter how young he is.

24. We have lots of pine trees. They have sap. It drips from them. You park your Navigator under them, and they'll leave a logo on your hood.

25. You burn an American flag in our state, you get beat up. No questions. The liberal contingent of our state legislature - all four of them enacted a measure to stop this. There is now a $2.50 fine for beating up the flag burner.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
    are here we might as well dance.

• gitasatsangha
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like the version of things to remember when you visit the south that ends each tip with: or we'll kick your a$$.

Example: if you want a carbonated beverage in the south. Ask for a Coke. Don't ask for soda, pop, a soft drink. Don't ask for rootbeer, orange drink, Dr. Pepper, they're all Coke here, even Pepsi. Remember this or we'll kick your a$$.

Flyin'

• avishai
    avishai

Ya know tatiana, ya got the eye roll, etc.

I grew up in bumf%$k egypt w/ many of the same concepts in the middle of nowwhere OR.

I'm about ready to drool about the food and cry remembering the south. And dammit I can admit that.

I've never been treated w/ more kindness or respect as I have in the south. And yes, I was a damnyankee. And a Jw, at the time. I went to a black cong. in New orleans. Yes Black. Desegregation, my ass. It was 1988, and other than my family, there were 5 other white folks in the whole cong. Three were tourists like us. I've never been treated w/ more love at any other cong., ever. Same w/ the white cong. two days later. After being there two months, I still call people sir and ma'am more than others here in the west. It's been 16 years since I was there.

Same with the worldly folks. I miss it more than I can say. I honestly feel like it's home, and I was switched at birth. The north has no idea.

• dustyb
    dustyb

...gives me an idea.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Wiscousin is the south. I thought that was a cold snowy place. The onlt thing I needed to know when I went down south (Fayetteville, NC) to visit my wife's family was what gas station sells the 40's of malt liquor. Once I found that everything else falls into place.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    12. So you have a sixty thousand-dollar car. We're real impressed. We have a quarter of a million-dollar combine that we only use two weeks a year.

That is so true, it is just slightly funny. Not only does a combine cost mega bucks, some of these clowns think they can't live without a new one every four or five years. I suppose the air conditioners break down.

18. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don't like it? Interstate 65 goes two ways - Interstate 40 goes the other two. Pick one.

If you send these folks, who don't appreciate the fragrance of nature, west on I-40, they will end up right in the middle of the Texas Panhandle. Not good, we've got hogs here also and they smell pretty much like hogs in the Carolinas.

Thanks for posting this, it helped get my day started on a positive note. Bug

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

LMAO OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These things are true,,,,,,,that is why it is so funny, even to us.

4. We all started hunting and fishing when we were
    seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.

OMG , that was funny, and the one about the one red light.......well my town doesnt even have one red light , we have "the big intersection" , it is only caution lights. And yeah you better come to a complete stop or you will get smashed by a log truck.

We do wave at everyone and their brother, and even talk to their dog. Most folks around here travel with their beloved dogs , they even bring them in the bar with them. Instead of bringing the wife , they choose the dog. I swear it to be true....

• Maverick
    Maverick

My Yankee girlfriend gets mad at me cause I'm real friendly and talk to everyone. And I call all the ladies darlin'! They can be 90 years old and I still call them darlin'! Men my age or older are 'sir'. Young guys that annoy me are 'pal'! If a southern man calls you 'pal' he is lookin' ta clean your clock! And I hit the 100th y-all bout noon! Pick-ups are red so's they don't show the dirt! Maverick

PS And don't tell us how you do things 'up North'. If you are so unhappy with how things is done here go the f**k home! Don't make me get my gun from under the car seat!

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Maverick,,,,,,,,,,dahlin' you got that just right. I am from Louisiana and that is exactly how it is. No matter who old you are, Yes sir, Yes Ma'am still is appreciated and if you don't you are looked on as not being raised right. We are super friendly and can stand and talk to a stranger for hours about her chickens, or her arthritis forever.

I about feel out of my chair laughing when you said you hit your 100th "Ya'll" at noon. I bet I say it as much, so much I catch myself,,,,,,,,now that is bad.....lol.

I had a converstation with some waterworkers here to fix the 100 yr old water system we have, they are from all over the place, so we had some great convo's.

We got in the conversation on why people down this way eat what they do. I had to admit that although I am from the south there are some things I don't eat, cause I am a picky southerner. I don't eat chicken feet, pickled pig feet, chitlins, cow's tongue, hog mawls, hog ears, gizzards, coon, or any other road kill.

I do eat crawfish, and yeah I have seen people on the side of the road fishing for them in the ditch.....but I go to a place that has them all boiled up for me......hehe. I like catfish , which I hear some from the north think is a nasty fish, because they are bottom feeders. But the meat of the catfish is soft, tasty and white as snow,,,,,,,,yummy for the tummy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit