Badwillie's Life Part 1

by badwillie 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• badwillie
    badwillie

Part 1:

It's a long story really. There are many reasons I quit the Jdubs. I guess what it boiled down to is that I finally had to admit that a lot of it just didn't make sense and certainly wasn't making me happy. For example, it is very depressing to walk around in life thinking that everyone you meet willl be destroyed (gotta love that word they use). I was only 9 years old when my mother decided to join them. She was one of those who got really (fanatically) into it right from the start.. you know, instantly turn their back on everyone and everything that they've ever known. Naturally, all of us kids (there were 4 of us at that time) had no say in the matter, this was our new religion and way of life - LIKE IT OR NOT! Me and my older sister were in a Catholic school at the time. My mother started going to meetings in June 1976 . I still remember walking into a very hot Vet Stadium that summer and seeing all the flowers on the field and the huge white letters in a semi-circle spelling out "1976 District Convention of Jehovah's Witness". I had been to that stadiuim a few times already for Phillies games, so it felt really strange to me being there for "church". I spent most of the time just trying to beat the heat and boredom by imaging I was Mike Schmidt or Greg Luzinski standing at the plate waiting for pitches to hit over the fence. Of course, as the years went by, girl watching would become me and my friends source of entertainment for those 4 long grueling days every year. Anyway, by the end of that summer my sister and I would be registered at the township public school (catholic school was now forbidden of course). God, thinking back now I remember feeling like a such a pawn just shoved here and there on anyones whim. ( I remember screaming silently in my head - "HEY - WHAT ABOUT WHAT I WANT - I LIKE MY SCHOOL, MY FRIENDS, MY LIFE!!!!) I say I protested things silently because open dissent was not tolerated in our house - both parents were dictators. I guess I took the silent submissive role because I saw where the vocal protest got you. I observed countless times how they would treat my older sister everytime she opened her mouth to give a different opinion or stick up for one of us. They always resorted to visciously calling her names (their own daughter!) like, "crazy", "Liar", "instigator", "always the rebellious one", "stubborn", "Fat", "lazy", "stirring up trouble again..",etc,etc. Their inhumane treatment of her is another very long story that saddens me very deeply. The neglect and abuse all of us suffered at the hands of my father was always being watched on the sidelines by my dutiful christian anointed full time pioneer mother. That's right, within 4 years she would become a Full time Pioneer, and one of the 144,000 anointed, and add child numBer 5 to the family, all this while never working a single day for a real wage!

Part 2 will follow...

• Valis
    Valis

badwilly...thanks for sharing...I can feel you man...sometimes you watch as a child and things happen like in the Matrix movie...everything slows down and you feel outside of yourself...those bad memories stick with you. Thanks for sharing dude...looking forward to Part 2.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Valis, Badwillies story is really better in person! With a glass of wine, sitting on his very comfortable sofa in his beautifully decorated home.

Badwillie, what was with the Vet man? It was ALWAYS so freaking hot there!! Where did you scramble to get seats? Were you a 300 level or 700 level guy? My parents always drug us up to the 700 level with the freaking HUGE ass coolers to try and find shade.

It wasn't until years later when I got older that I would sit on the one side of the Vet in the morning and the other side of the Vet in the afternoon to dodge the sun.

p.s. When is the next Philly Phest and are you coming to Dallas??

• Maverick
    Maverick

Very insightful. It is good to write this out. I have found it cathartic. I was an adult when I allowed myself to be conned into the cult. So it is hard for me to understand how the young ones dealt with it. Thank you for sharing this. Maverick

• Nikita
    Nikita

BW, how ya doing? Feels strange to read about your story from this vantage point now! I feel for you-I can remember your dear sister and all that she went through with your parents.

((((((((((Badwillie))))))))))

Leslie

P.S. Does sis have access to email yet??

• flower
    flower

Nice to see you sharing your story Badwillie. Since I was born into the religion its interesting to read the experiences of someone who was ripped from normalcy (whatever that is lol) at the age you were and forced to go along with a parent as they are indoctrinated.

Its ironic how the self proclaimed 'loving organization' is home to some of the most cruel parents imaginable. I dont know honestly how they managed to sleep at night after mentally, emotionally and more often and not physically abusing their children in the name of god.

looking forward to reading the rest....

• Funchback
    Funchback
    I spent most of the time just trying to beat the heat and boredom by imaging I was Mike Schmidt or Greg Luzinski standing at the plate waiting for pitches to hit over the fence.

CLASSIC!

Ah! I remember those 70's/80's years myself at the hot "Vet". I hated the Vet for coneventions! Hot. Boring. Lame.

I was a 300 level guy because you could get shade for most of the day.

I can't wait for the rest of your story which will no doubt contain stories of "Demons vs. badwillies-JW-family" and "Breakdancing in the Kingdom Hall".

• DIM
    DIM

Thanks for sharing badwillie.....I used to just walk around the 700 level non stop...the last 2 years (2000 and 2001) Michalina and I would show up in the morning and leave after the first talk...or go to the wawa right next to show n tell strip club and come back w/ some good coffee...its always amazed me how I sort of a reputation of "being on the edge" when all I did was have sideburns and a non cult member hair cut...I honestly didn't do that much that was considered wrong.

• Nikita
    Nikita
    I can't wait for the rest of your story which will no doubt contain stories of "Demons vs. badwillies-JW-family"

Almost forgot about those!!

• yxl1
    yxl1

Nice post Willie. Its always interesting to read stories of people indocrination and then exit from the WTS, and I'm constantly surprised how similar everyones storys are

She was one of those who got really (fanatically) into it right from the start.. you know, instantly turn their back on everyone and everything that they've ever known.

I was a little younger than you when Mum decided what we were all to become witnesses. However, your comment above describes her down to a tee. I sometimes feel the word fanatic isnt harsh enough to describe how zealous she was. Its also strange how in most cases the poor children never get a say. In my case, any opposition was met with severe beatings followed by a visit from the elders telling me to conform and that my immaturity is preventing me from the truth.

Then they're surprised I stopped going...sheesh. Looking forward to the rest of the post

yxl1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit