Beggers

by Xena 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Beggars are continually getting worse, and turning into scammers. I've run into god knows how many people who have told me "I ran out of gas on the road over there, and I need a couple of bucks to get some". I refuse to give those people money. At my part time job, one guy came in with that story and one person gave them $10 for gas. The guy left, then came back and said "They need a $10 deposit for a jerry can" She then gave him another $10. The guy then went and walked across the street to the bar.

In my opinion, if you don't have money, you shouldn't be driving a car.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I never give them any money because of the reasons already stated in this thread. Some are scammers and many choose to continually make bad decisions. Sometimes I feel a little guilty if I think they are actually sincere about their need. But I just feel disgusted when they are drinking beer or it is obvious they were recently drinking or they're smoking a cigarrete. How can anyone have the nerve to ask for money while blatantly wasting money and ruining their health right in my face? I say great for those who give to a reputable charity. I haven't done much of that, but I think that money sent there will be used more responsibly.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Often beggars are alchaholics. They use the booze to ease the pain they are in. Ciggarettes helps their nerves. I wouldn't discourage anyone from supporting them. Just don't expect any changes. To really help them, somebody has to get inside their heads, and change their thinking.

Salvation army, to name just one org that really does help, has programs that pulls alkies off the street, and forces them to confront themselves. I sat in one two group meetings, when i was a christian and thought christianity was the answer. The chairman froze me and my christian friend out when my friend, who was instantly cured from alchaholism, was going to give his testimony.

Anyway, sallyan's in house program works for many of them.

SS

• Valis
    Valis

I see tons of homeless people all the time and have been that way myself. I was fortunate to have the brains and ability to help myself. SOme however are homeless for reasons beyond thier control like mental illness, serious disease they can't afford getting treatment for, veterans, etc...I don't give the ones w/signs money, unless it is XMAS and I'm feeling that spirirt, but usually if one wants a smoke or some change if I have it I don't mind. I don't like the agressive ones though and will gladly put my foot in thier face..As far as what they do with the money I used to care, but now I simply don't give a crap...I mean ya maybe the dude is gonna go buy a beer...I'm fixin to go buy lots of beer!.....OH I was also going to add that being homeless is very hard on your body in lots of ways...for that I have pity for the homeless.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• simplesally
    simplesally

In Santa Monica, its against the law to give money to panhandlers. They have these big metal piggy banks that are bolted firmly to the ground for the generous to deposit money into...........this money goes to homeless shelters and food banks.

Now, a guy looking for gas money........... my ex-husband ran out of gas (can I say, I told you so to him now!!) and had left his wallet at home, he really needed the extra bucks for gas and used the money for gas! I will never forget his story about people looking at him funny with his nice truck and although he was in construction, dirty, but not ragged.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Let us all remember the principle of agape love. Which in greek means give me your lunch money sucka! Or does it mean love with/of principle? I forgot my lesson again!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I usually refer them to the Soup Kitchen/ Shelter, where I work or some other agency. There is no reason for people to go hungry or lack a place to stay. There are enough agencies out there to help anyone in need. There is very rarely a reason to beg--unless, of course, someone doesn't know where to go to get help or if no agency is willing to help.

Actually, the ones who tote signs, are a small percent. But they do give a bad name to the ones who are really homeless and in need of help because these are, for the most part, the only beggars most people ever see.

• new light
    new light

The last time I gave into a bum I gave him $10. $10!!!! He looked like shit and said he needed to get something to eat. I give him the money and instead of a thank you, he just asked for more. It was all I could do not to grab the bill out of his hand. Get a job, scumbag.

• talesin
    talesin

been there

Your original flip comment was very different from your sincere follow-up. And I'm happy to know that you DO have compassion, very FEW people actually do volunteer work, very FEW of us help the misfits. You are one of the helpers - good for you! I mean that sincerely. Sorry if your feelings were hurt by my remark ... you touched a sore spot in me.

I do not apologize for my comments, I used to feel that way, too, when I was a JW, and also after when I was working in an "ivory tower', making lotsa money.

Once I changed my life, and started working with these people, I realized that they were no different than I. No, I never was on a street corner, panhandling. But I was emotionally bereft, and so are they. They do not deserve our scorn.

I am ashamed of the way I used to see beggars. Just the fact that they are THERE, shows how small their sense of personhood is. For that alone, I pity them, whether they are scamming or not.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit