Beggers

by Xena 38 Replies latest jw friends

• pudd
    pudd

Where I live there is not a big problem with beggers. There is one old guy that lives in a shop doorway all year round how he has not frozen to death I don't know.

When I lived in Manchester, I used to carry a surply of "appropriate" magazines. If I saw a begger I would witness to them about a life without poverty. I figgered that was more valuable than money, which I did give some times.

I feel such an ass now but a really was one of those very anoying zealous types!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Pudd:
    I don't know how near you live to Manchester, but any chance that you might be making the Fest, this weekend?

Laters,
    Ross.

• Xena
    Xena

Ross are you using my thread about beggers to beg for more people to come to your fest???

Have you no shame man???

• scumrat
    scumrat

I can't make it from the train station to work without encountering a begger. There's this guy who's been begging for money cause he needs a train ticket to Portland Maine. He's been going to Portland for almost 6 months now. Only suckers give money. Everyone has a story....

• Scully
    Scully

We used to live in a fairly busy part of town, near a large supermarket, drug store and bank all on the same lot. The entrances to these businesses were close together, and often there was this guy sitting outside looking for handouts on a regular basis.

One day, after I'd just gotten a bit of a financial windfall at work, I took pity on the guy and while I was picking up some groceries, I bought a fresh loaf of bread, some cheese and sliced meat and some fruit and juice boxes (about $10 all together) and put them together in a bag and handed it to the guy.

Instead of saying "Thank you", he started yelling at me and saying "What the F*CK is this, you dumb b*tch??"

I was shocked, but managed to say "Well, thanks. You just showed me why I should never help someone like you ever again" and walked away.

Love, Scully

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Here's what I think: I busted my ass for years to get where I am now. I deserve every penny that I make. Very rarely will I give money to beggars. I used to take the bus to get to work, and every day I'd get approached by someone. Some asshole bum comes up to me while I'm smoking, "Hey pal, you got an extra cigarette?" As usual, I reply with "This is my last one". He then gets the nerve to ask, "Well, then can I have a drag?" This guy looked absolutely disgusting! I wasn't going to let him put his lips on my cigarette! I told him, "My bus is coming right away, I'll give you what's left when it comes". So he waited, waited, waited, and started getting impatient as the cigarette burned down. "Come on, man!" I ignored him. I smoked it down to the butt, then gave it to him. "Fucking cheap, man", and walked away with his butt.

My friend told me a funny story. He was waiting at a bus stop and there was this bum standing there with a straw out of his mouth. He says, "You got a light, man?" My friend didn't hesitate, and lit his straw. "Thanks, man!"

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I never give them money. The vast majority of the time, it's a scam to get money for alcohol or drugs. And I don't have any problem looking them in the eye when they stand on the freeway off ramps.

Off course, they have the "key phrases" to get them sympathy and induce our guilt: "Veteran", "God bless", and of course, " Hungry, will work for food".

I figure if they can stand in the blazing 100+ degree heat for hours panhandling, they can certainly flip burgers.

The last two instances I encountered panhandlers were in store parking lots. When I spot them making a beeline towards me, I make it clear to keep away by saying "Don't approach me, please". So far, they have turned and walked away.

Though, I very much believe in helping those who help themselves. To those people who find themselves in dire circumstances, and need help to get back to their feet and are doing all they can to improve their situation, I have much compassion and an open wallet.

• rocketman
    rocketman

They'd often hang near a local Wendy's and at times I'd give them a bit of coinage when I had some, or a buck. I used to think 'geez, they'll just spend it on ciggies or booz anyway' but I try not to look at it that way now. If I'm going to give them something, then it should be theirs to do with it as they wish.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I never do... not after seeing information about how much money beggers often make. It's shocking. There may be times when someone is truly needy, in which case they can go to a shelter or take advantage of some other government or church program. The majority of beggars do it because they can make a good living at it.

We have very few in our area, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they make $50-$100 hour standing on the corner with a sign.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Been There WOW. That was quite the follow-up post. Hats off to you!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit