Beggers

by Xena 38 Replies latest jw friends

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I try to do as Simple Sally. I donate clothing, shoes being that they are in good shape and I dont want them anymore, or doing spring cleaning. However, one time I couldn't help myself. A guy standing on the corner of 155St and 7Av across from Yankee stadium had a sign that said

"Im not gonna lie, I wanna a dollar for a beer!"

You know I gave this guy a dollar, cause at least it was 100% verifyibly the truth.

• talesin
    talesin

SS

You are right. Those who want 'out' can get help from various agencies. It's rare that getting involved in their lives can make a change. I'm hope these experiences have not made you bitter (you seem to be okay with it). Keep in mind that your kindness has made a difference - you may never know how, but I GUARANTEE that it has.

t

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

Young Man or woman.....forget it...stop whining

Mother and child....forget it...there is welfare

Old man or woman...sometimes.

How do I donate...skills. I prepare many (sometimes too much) free tax returns to help:

Single mothers who are struggling

Family who are too poor or lack the english language.

and oh yeah...many bartenders (not donation...deep discount for booze)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Tale

It helped me understand the life of a beggar. It cleared me of guilt at seeing the less fortunate, and not doing anything about it. It helped me on towards looking after myself better.

SS

• talesin
    talesin

SS

Ah. So.

It DID make a difference, and you DO know how.

I'm glad I read this before turning in for the nite, it put a smile on my face.

tks

tal

• Sassy
    Sassy

I never have given them money, but OCCASIONALLY my black knight has..

I have seen while waiting in my vehicle people begging and then after getting money from people and they go in to the store, then go over and hand the money to someone else. Although I know there are those who are legitimately in need, there are others who are just running a con.

Once a man was telling me how hungry he was and I did feel bad for him. I was going into the grocery store and he begged that when I came out, that I'd give him money so he could eat. Rather than plan to give him money, while in the store I purchased a ready made deli sandwich and bottle of water, in addition to the groceries I was buying with the plan to give him the sandwich and water when I came out. He was gone however........so either the store made him leave, or he went off looking elsewhere for handouts.

• Maverick
    Maverick

At one time I remodeled commercial businesses. I was remodeling a "Starvin Marvin" in Tampa Fl right next to the Freeway on ramp. This bum would stand right next to the ramp with a "Will work for food" cardboard sign. When he got money he would walk over to the store and buy cigs, and a quart of beer, sit out back and when he was done go back to his "spot".

I was working a job in LA and right next to the job site was one of those walk up taco stands. This guy asked me and another guy for money to buy some food. My buddy would not give him money but bought him some fries. When my friend gave them to him he got real mad and threw them on the ground! I give them nothing! Maverick

• Been there
    Been there

Maybe I'm just feeling alittle beat up right now but I feel I need to defend myself. I made a reply here, it was late, I made it short, I said what I wanted to say, I answered the question. My personal choice was taken away in one sentence. I guess I need to make a list of all the things I give to and do so I won't be uncompassionate or ugly to anyones eyes heart.

This area has banned panhandling because it was so out of control. They were assulting people and being a great nusanse (sp). There were many con people working the area. When there was a ball game at the stadium they were every ten feet. Last time I went I gave to two people.......The guy that sang & played music, and the guy that taught his dog to do tricks. They received but they also gave, if that makes sence. If I would have thought I was going to be on trial, I would have prepared a better defence. But for those who need to know, here goes.

1. At 7years old I brought a sandwich and drink regularly to some old homeless or lonely guy that sat on a bench everyday.

2. I have helped build houses for Habitate for Humanity.

3. I give to Jerry's kids.

4. I always give to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross because they are there in all kinds of disasters.

5. I regularly volunteered for the Ohio River Sweep cleanup and our local Neighbourhood clean ups.

6. I go out with a church and hand out bags of grocerys at the end of the month to people when there money is out.

7. I have stood in line and handed out food for the holidays at the homeless shelter.

8. I have volunteered to work at numerous fund raisers.

9. I walked in marathons to raise money for The March of Dimes.

10. I spent hours at a warehouse packing boxes of donated goods to send to hurracane Hugo victems.

11. I spent many Saturdays cleaning a 104 year old ladys apt. because she liked clean windows and wanted company.

12. I also donate my clothes and things to Goodwill Industries because they supply jobs to people who would not have a easy time getting one and it makes them feel useful to society. They are proud of what they make and the job they do however small it maybe.

13. I gave for years to a blind man who sat out in front of a Walgreens store and played gospel music on a big radio. I did stop doing that when he lost his old seeing eye dog for animal cruelty when he was caught kicking it. Big write up in the paper.

14. I try to make Christmas and Birthdays special for kids because I didn't have that as a kid.

15. I suppose the biggest gift that was given was my first grand baby. An adoption plan was made because it was the best thing for the baby at the time. It also gave a childless couple a chance to be a family. She is now 12 and a wonderful little girl.

I'm sure there is more, but this should be enough for now for those who may feel the need to judge whether I am compassionate or not. I may not always throw a buck at a guy holding a sign but I do give of myself.

Thank you for your time.I'm done.

• Xena
    Xena

Thanks for your responses. It's been interesting reading...esp tal & SS's experiences! I have heard of the con angle before but I figure if anyone goes to that much trouble and is willing to humiliate themselves to that level to con me out of my change, they deserve something for it. I only give out of my excess regardless. My daughter and my needs come first.

I try and help out people in other ways...but it's difficult when you are sitting in your comfy car, sipping your starbucks coffee to see someone begging for money and not help them out. You just want to make the world a better place for everyone, but I guess realistically that isn't possible

• Xena
    Xena

I'm sorry you felt beat-up been there! I didn't think badly of you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit