JW references in movies

by stichione 26 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I seem to remember an ooold Saturday Night Live skit featuring a St. Mickey's Knights of Columbus Christmas Party where the award to the winning basketball team for their league went out to a team from Bethel. The Bethel representative was the only person who knew the words to Good King Wencesles, but maybe I can't remember it quite right. It was a bizarre skit. Did anyone see it? It would have been a 70's episode.

• flower
    flower

The best ever JW reference in a movie comes in the opening scene of the movie Friday starring Ice Cube. Its freakin hilarious..worth renting just to watch the 80 somethin year old sister say "well f*&$k you then" as she walked away from getting the door slammed in her face. !

• Panda
    Panda

I remember that little boy in A Perfect World. THAT WAS SO SAD!

How about a few seasons back on The Practice when a very petite lawyer was in a coma and her mother (a JW) said no blood because her daughter was also a JW. The other lawyers knew that the coma patient had had an abortion which was against JW-dum. In the end she woke up ok.

The cone heads and snl land shark were hilarious.

In the book Carrie, by S King --- wasn't Carries mother a JW? In the forst movie they had crosses and stuff but I don't recall the book. I think the book just had gory pictures in the closet.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Jack The Bear with Danny Devito:

The baby sister for his shows up on Halloween and she says that it's here favorite holiday. Later she tells him that she is a JW

Friday:

2 witness women show up at Ice Cube's door. They say "I've come to tell you about the coming of Jehovah." When they slam the door in her face she says "Well fuck you too Mutha Fucker."

Married With Children:

There's a knock at the door and Al walks over to the door, picks up a baseball bat and says "Man, I hope it's some Jehovah's Witnesses."

my appologies, Flower already mentioned Friday

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

In Stephen King's "The Stand", Randal Flagg aka the devil kept a fictituous JW tract in his pocket called (I dont know if I remember this right) called "If You Can Anwer These 20 Questions You Are Saved Brother". The miniseries didn't really get into Flagg's character much, and I don't think it mentioned this.

• Valis
    Valis

From Friday

Jehovah's Witness: Are you prepared for Jehovah's return? 'Cause if you're not, we've got a pam...
    [Craig slams the door in their faces.]
    Jehovah's Witness: Well f*ck you. Half-dead motherf*cker. Come on, sister.

X Files 1993 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106179/quotes

[On finding a severed thumb.]
    Fox Mulder: Siskel or Ebert?

Dana Scully: Meanwhile, I've quit the FBI and become a spokesperson for the Ab-Roller.
    Fox Mulder: Hey Scully, is this display of boyish agility turning you on at all?

[Looking at a destroyed doorbell button.]
    Fox Mulder: Frustrated Jehovah's Witness?

South Park http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121955/quotes

Hell Director: Can everybody... ok. Um, I am the Hell Director. Uh, it looks like we have 8,615 of you newbies today. And for those of you who were little confused: uh, you are dead; and this is Hell. So abbandon all hope and yadda-yadda-yadda. Uh, we are now going to start the orientation PROcess which will last about...
    Protestant: Hey, wait a minute. I shouldn't be here, I was a totally strick and devout Protestant. I thought we went to heaven.
    Hell Director: Yes, well, I'm afraid you are wrong.
    Soldier: I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.
    Hell Director: Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.
    Man from Crowd: Well who was right? Who gets in to Heaven?
    Hell Director: I'm afraid it was the MORmons. Yes, the MORmons were the correct answer.
    The Damned: Awwww...

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

A movie made back in the seventies starring Linda Carter and Marjoe Gortner (now a religious minister) called Bobby Jo and the Outlaw.

Bobby jo (Carter) walks into her mother's house (a southern family here portrayed), and her mother awkwardly tries to make conversation, and I think she was sitting holding a WT fanning herself with it:

"Some o' them Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by today . . . " (paraphrased)

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

The thing is, is when these references are made in movies and television, the WTBTS sees it as a "witness" being given to the general public.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

LOL, Flower!!! I remember that, that was sooo funny

In the movie Run Lola Run, Lola runs by a woman doing "street corner witnessing" its quick, but you can clearly see her holding a Watchtower.

-Doodle-V

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

One of my favorites would have to be Suzanne Sugarbaker from Designing Women:

Suzanne: Oh, you know Julia. She's always getting worked up about something legal. Like telling me that I can't fire warning shots over the heads of the Jehovah Witnesses when they come to my door.

Another good one is from Golden Girls:

Doorbell in the middle of the night: DING DONG!
    Rose: I wonder who that could be?
    Dorothy: It's a Jehovah's Witness with a caffiene problem, Rose!

(You know, I never realized how much I actually watch Lifetime.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit