JW references in movies

by stichione 26 Replies latest jw friends

• stichione
    stichione

I watched the movie "Mickey Blue Eyes" last night on TV, staring Hugh Grant. At one point there is a knock at the door and Mickey, looking through the peep hole, anounces "Its the Jehovah bloody Witnesses". There was more insitent knocking and the female occupant replies "They must be really devoted!". I found that absolutely hilarious, although my wife, still half a Dub, didn't.

Any other movies OR TV show you can recall where mention is made of the JWs?

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Saturday Night Live had a sketch about a man-eating shark ( I think ) and he kept knocking, claiming to be someone he wasn't, and once he claimed to be either "Jehovah's Witnesses" or just "Watchtower."

I thought it was great. But even when still in, I could appreciate the humor in their jokes about us. Heck, we were ridiculous, we just didn't know it! I could always see their point of view.

There was a strange and sad Kevin Costner movie about a troubled man who took someone else's child on a cross country road trip ( he was considered a kidnapper ) - and the child was supposedly raised as a Witness. The little boy was in his jockey shorts for a good part of the movie, till Kevin bought him a Halloween costume, because the boy had always wanted to have one, and go trick or treating.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Seeit, I saw that movie too. "A perfect world"

• Mary
    Mary

They've been mentioned on The Simpsons a few times. Once, Marge was totally bored with her life and said "the other day some Jehovah's Witnesses came by and after a couple of hours, they snuck away when I went to make them some more lemonade!"

I think Mulder mentioned them on the X-Files once too, but I can't remember what was said.

The only other times that came close was in Ben-Hur where Pontius Pilate mentions Jehovah by name; and in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, one of the booby-traps at the end could be overcome by spelling Jehovah's name (in Latin of course).

• talesin
    talesin

I saw that movie, too. Twice actually ... I don't remember any reference to JW or the little boy being in his underwear.

Good flick, BTW.

tal

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

There's a reference in "Throw Momma From the Train"

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" where male actos pretending to be women pretending to be men are stoned for saying Jehovah.

Mathias: Look. I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was 'That piece of hallibut was good enough for Jehovah'.

Crowd: Oooooooh!

Elder: BLASPHEMY!!!! He said it again!

Mathias: Look, I don't think it ought to be blasphey, just saying 'Jehovah'.

Crowd: (

Sensation!!!! high voices ) He said it again!

(

low voices ) He said it again!

Elder: (

to Matthias ) You're only making it worse for yourself.

Mathias: Making it worse? How could it be worse? Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah. (Matthias does a Jehovah Dance, kicking up dust)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There's some movie with Billy Crystal where another character asks him what he is doing, when it should have been obvious. So Billy sarcastically says "I'm selling the Watchtower, what does it looke like I'm doing?!"

• Valis
    Valis

You might enjoy this list from litterature..

http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_jw.html

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

Also the well known scene in the CONEHEADS where they ask them in and discuss the New World...if memory is correct. It was a pretty long scene I think...guess I better rent it and Bone up.

-BONEZZ

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

my favorite possible-JW reference in a song is from "The Clash's", "Lightening Strikes (not once but twice)"

excerpt:

Strike! Twice! OK so roll!
    From Harlem! Strike one!
    Harlem slum to penthouse block
    On every door I already knocked
    There wasn't anybody that I didn't leave alone
    Somebody lying under every stone
    Everything that a man could need
    In a bag down by my knee
    That looks good, this ain't got seeds
    Cheaper than booze down in the bowery
    Lightning strike! Old New York!