Elder's visit

by brooklynNY 27 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

If he only left one message, that's probably the end of it. Trying to help him with UN documents, and other stuff is like trying to give a milk bottle to a viper. He won't like it, he won't digest it, and he'll bite you for your trouble.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Hi Brooklyn,

I am not too far from you in Huntington, Long Island.

Been there . Done that. If you find it absolutely necessary to meet with them to preserve "decorum" for your mothers sake; just be aware of the following and be prepared for the reaction:

1) these Elders only care about you to the extent that they can "count time with you"

2) Remember, after 8 years of getting your head together; you will prepare a well thoughtout and reasonable presentation of facts to show them. They will not accept it. No matter how well you articulate your cause; they will refute it and your will ALWAYS be wrong. These people ALL have a closed mind. They all really believe that they have "Jehovah" in their pocket. We were all there once; we know the drill.

Do you really want to put yourself through that?

My advice: ignore them and move on with your life. Smile for your mother; tell her that you will help her with whatever she needs; however ; do not give the Watchtower the emotional means to blackmail or condemn you. Good Luck, Frank

• willyloman
    willyloman

Okay, let me see if I've got this straight. You've heard that a man-eating lion has been terrorizing the neighborhood, coming into people's home and tearing them apart piece by piece,

Now, a lion appears at your doorstep. And because he'sagging his tail and hasn't roared or done anything else to "scare" you, you are wondering if we think you should open the door and invite him in.

Is that about it?

Based on this comment from you,

However my mother is still in so her sake I don?t give them a reason to DF me. That being said, I would like to meet with these elders and present the latest UN stuff, and ask about the "generation" issue.

...here's some advice from a long-time elder who knows how the lions operate.

1. First, realize that this is just a routine search-and-destroy mission. He doesn't care about you, he is just doing what he's been told to do by the PO or CO.

2. Your best response is zip, nada, nothing. Just don't reply.

3. If he asks again, ignore him again. If he gets persistent and you feel you have to respond, then be polite but do not arrange for any "face" time with him and/or other elders. If you do wind up talking with him, by phone for instance, do not give him ANY indication you have the slightest doubt about the WTS and its declared position at the right hand of God. The UN? Hell, you don't know ANYTHING about the UN, except what you read in the Awake.

4. If he corners you and asks why you haven't been coming to meetings, you can just say are busy with the more mundane things in life but that you have remained close to God in your heart and that you continue to try to apply bible teachings in your life, and that SOMEDAY you may find yourself in circumstances where you would want to come to meetings and "do more" but that right now that is impossible. However, you appreciate his concern and will call him sometime and visit about things. Be noncommital. Do not accept any invitation to "get together to talk." If he asks for an appointment, tell him you're in the middle of a big thing at work right now but that you will call him when things settle down.

5. Do not lose sight of the fact that this is theocratic warfare (because you want to maintain the status quo with your mom), and that you have to have your head in the game, and be smart enough to undertand it IS a game and be able to play it as well as the lions do. If you do these things, there's an excellent chance he will leave you alone, at least for awhile, maybe even for another eight years! Go back to point number one: He's "just doing his job" and the other part of his job is that he's able to report back to the elders that he made contact with you and had some sort of "meaningful" discussion. As a result, your name will be checked off and they will move on to the next name on the agenda.

Of course, all this advice is based on the fact you have a relationship with your mom that needs protecting. It would be easier, of course, to tell him to f&*k off. Have you talked to your mother about what would happen if the elders went on a witch hunt and took some unilateral action to DA you? Would that change your relationship with her? You might be surprised at the answer.

Anyway, good luck, and remember that despite what the lions say, God is on YOUR side in this.

• heathen
    heathen

hi brooklynny--- I'm from brooklyn myself . I think what I would do is print a copy of the contract the WTBTS signed with the UN to become an NGO and rub their grubby brown nosing face in it . They lied about their intentions to be an NGO and get a friggen library card on everyone of the required rules and regulations . Then they lied to the entire church about it . Now they act like the only people allowed to talk about it are the the WTBTS legal departments. They lie about the child abuse and molestation issue and try to abstruct justice . The generation doctrine is not even close to the things I've already mentioned to being important.

• Roddy
    Roddy

Take just as long to reply to their 'invitation'. Then say, "thanks but no thanks".

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

Thanks again for your responses.

I have to agree with you guys, they really must love me, it took them only eight years to see how I?m doing. When I first listened to the message, I suspected that they were looking something to pin on me. I still live in the same neighborhood that my old congregation is located. I believe they don?t like the fact that I appear happy and started new life apart from the Watchtower.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Ignore them with intensity!!

carmel

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

My feelings on the matter is this, STAY CLEARLY AWAY FROM HIM, after 8 years, it just sounds to phony to me.

They are such sneaks, he may try and get something on you then next thing you know your disfellowshipped. IGNORE it. You have your mom in the organization and you want to keep fairly close to her, so best stay away from an elder.

They are up to something, elders don't do anything spontaneously out of deep concern after 8 years. Where was he all those other years.

BEWARE!! that is my advise

Love Orangefatcat.OrangeFatCat 15Hearts

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I think what I would do is print a copy of the contract the WTBTS signed with the UN to become an NGO and rub their grubby brown nosing face in it .

Boy....I would Love to get my hands on that document!!!!!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

You seem to be in a comfy place. I wouldn't jepordise it.

I would not meet with them.

wannaexit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit